Old 09-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Cel Phone Booster advice

Anybody out there using a cel phone signal booster. There are so many on the market that it's difficult knowing what works and what doesn't. We're in a dead spot here, so at least initially, we need one for our residence, but we'd also like to take it with us when we begin full time cruising. Thanks in advance for any help.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'
I've used the Wilson products for years with great success on phones and aircards.

Building Solutions | Store | Wilson Electronics

Deliveries & Yacht Services
www.captainchip.com
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
This article is still a good primer about the things to think about with a cellular amplifier:
https://activecaptain.com/articles/m...oostSignal.php

I think the Wilson products are the best. It's been a couple of years since I tested them head-to-head but back then there was no difference in performance between any amp I tried and a Wilson that cost about half as much. I've had my Wilson now for about 8 years - I'm using it right now at anchor to send this posting over a JetPack MiFi.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
One more thumbs up for the Wilson. Works great, no complaints.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
We have a Wilson in the bus and a MaxSignal on the boat. On paper the MaxSignal is the better unit. But only on paper. We use an inductive coupler on the bus and the MaxSignal guy tells me that is why the Wilson works better. I'm not convinced. If I was doing it over again no question I would install another Wilson.

Either one of them will take a signal that won't hold a call and turn it into a strong usable signal, the Wilson just does it more reliably.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Guru

Ben Ellison over at Panbo is using one now and has reported some info on his current experience, Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog . Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Thanks everyone. I've been reading everything I can, but many of the sites sound like vendor funded, if you know what I mean. Great link to Panbo, Chuck. I really need to just delve into these blogs and study the overwhelming tide of products. I'm due for a new electronic suite in the spring. Money, money, money.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
Guru

Sometimes the information can be overwhelming. It is hard to sift through the self interest posts all over the internet. If your looking at electronics, be sure and research some of the testing Ben has done on Panbo. Too often you will get individual opinions with their built in bias and it makes deciding even harder. Don't get me wrong we often make decisions from the feedback of others. But not based on "I really like my XYZ". Instead we look for "The unit does this and this well", if those are the features we're looking for. Very few people will say that what they made a bad decision unless there are serious issues. Raymarine was a good example of this but their products and manufacturing have made major improvements since Flir took them over. Good luck. Chuck
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote