Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
1. Do you use the routing feature of your chart-plotter, i.e. do you create a route and then use your chart-plotter to navigate via several waypoints to a destination? Yes

2. Do you have the capability of displaying data on the chart plotter page such as time or distance to the next waypoint, time or distance to destination, depth, etc? Yes

3. If you do have this capability what data do you display on the chart-plotter page? Can you display this data on the page you normally use to navigate, ie the chart plotter page or do you have to go to a different page to display this data? I change pages to check tidal info, but its easy as the nearest station comes up by default. Most everything else can be on the one page or a split page. I add/remove detail as required to avoid making the relatively small screen too busy.

4. If you use the routing feature of your chart-plotter are there any limits to the number of waypoints than can be used to create your route? If there are limits do you find this an issue you would like corrected?
Haven't encountered a limit yet, but I think there is a max.

5. Who manufactures your chart-plotter and what software changes would you recommend? Have you been using your chart-plotter so long that you’ve just gotten used to it but would like to see some changes?
Garmin 740s, new so still learning on it. It has plenty of capability for future tie-ins. My only concerns are with mapping and the lack of depth detail closer to shore where it is required for pleasure boaters. I guess the soundings on the maps are more for commercial shipping with lots of detail in the 20-50 feet range, but not in the 2-10 foot range.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #22
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
Larry - IMMENSELY useful. I was not aware of Homeport. Only G2 at significantly more cost. Thanks a bundle!
Old 06-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #23
Ben
Guru

City: Clayton, NC
Vessel Name: Silver Lining
Vessel Model: Heritage East 44 / Twin Perkins T6.3544
Cees - I spent a good part of Friday digging the pathway from my fly bridge to my transducer location and the weekend enjoying the new toy.

About 50 foot of cable, drilling, and squirming in tight spaces, not to mention using power tools in close proximity to salt water. The manual will be a relaxing diversion.

Now I CAN sit back with the manual and learn in detail. Thanks for Homeport as well.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #24
Guru

Ben I think you'll like the Garmin 740. I have the 1st version w/o the sonar. It has no video capability but you can connect a Garmin radar. It also comes loaded with charts that include tide and currents. It has 2 NMEA inputs/outputs so you can display AIS targets if you have an AIS receiver.

For the price I found it hard to beat, it is however a little small for radar display IMHO. I use homeport, Garmin's PC interface to create routes and load them into the plotter.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
Garmin 740s, new so still learning on it. It has plenty of capability for future tie-ins. My only concerns are with mapping and the lack of depth detail closer to shore where it is required for pleasure boaters. I guess the soundings on the maps are more for commercial shipping with lots of detail in the 20-50 feet range, but not in the 2-10 foot range.
I haven't found that to be a problem, and I think there is a setting that allows you to set a "danger" depth. I'm guessing but the problem may be the charts in your area are not as detailed.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Interesting thread. Where we boat the waterways can be narrow and often with the deviation/ error / whatever on the GPS the plotter thinks we're on land. So trying to plot a course and set waypoints is useless. We do use the plotter to watch our depth and figure out our route to avoid the shallow spots and "emergent vegetation" but we have to figure out where we really are versus where the GPS says we are, if that makes sense.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #27

City: Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee, Trawler
With regards to the travelling overland
This can sometimes be resolved by using the offset function on the plotter
This will be determined by the charts you use
I am not sure about US or other charts but the Australian charts have written on the charts it an offset is required or that the charts are set up for satellite

Allan
AllanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanY View Post
With regards to the travelling overland
This can sometimes be resolved by using the offset function on the plotter
This will be determined by the charts you use
I am not sure about US or other charts but the Australian charts have written on the charts it an offset is required or that the charts are set up for satellite

Allan
Hmm that seems reasonable but the error seems inconsistent. Like we're in the same place in the river but occasionally the plotter shows us being on land and usually it doesn't. Very mysterious. Maybe we've occasionally done something to turn on or off an offset but we don't usually fiddle with much so not sure what we could be doing. Certainly won't rule out user error though.
San Francisco Bay Area
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote