Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #61
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Seems like the Commonwealth countries are a bit more "formal" and in my opinion, "correct" than the US. Perhaps it it because they require a license and a requisite course to operate?
So far as I know, a radio license is not required to operate a VHF marine radio in the US. A license used to be required to operate a VHF radio in an aircraft, but it was what used to be referred to as a "Third Phone" (3rd Class Radiotelephone Operator's License) which simply meant you paid the government some money and you got one. I have one but they're good for life so I don't know if that requirement still stands or not.

You also don't need a station license to have a VHF radio in a boat in the US. If you are going to operate that boat in the waters of another country like Canada or Mexico you do need a station license. We have them for our boats because they both go up into BC. They are good for x-number of years and renewing them is not the least expensive thing on the planet.

I think I have those requirements correct. If I'm wrong please correct me.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:37 PM   #62
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
The reason you name the hailed vessel first is to attract his attention. When you lead with your own vessel's name the hailed vessel may miss your name completely by the time they realize you are hailing them.
You are correct Mr. Bobo on the reverse calling and I will correct it however can't ever remember anyone ever missing my call or visa-versa. Oh well I guess I will have to sign up for that course one day so I can inform all the other amateurs around home that I missed their hail cause I don't listen in reverse anymore.

Elwin
Old 12-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #63

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27
Northern Spy,

In the USA, no test or license is required. The VHF radio must be operated in accordance with the rules and the USCG can 'spank' an operator 'on the air' for inconsiderate operation. For serious offenses, the FCC can fine operators. It was determined by USCG? that having more VHF radios on boats was good for safety on the water.

For a US registered or licensed boats to operate internationally, the ships radio station must be licensed, and the operator must have a Radio Operators License, which costs money, but no test required.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #64
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I would be surprised if anyone on the Neuse doesn't know Skinny Dippin' is a trawler/powerboat. TBH, there aren't too many motoryachts on the Neuse compared to sailboats. However, if there are multiple boats around and I am hailing another boat or bridge, I will ID us as a trawler or motor vessel. Just to be clear.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #65
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze NL View Post
You are correct Mr. Bobo
You can't imagine what a relief it is to know I have your approval.

Perhaps when you start actually listening to the other radio operators you will discover that you were the only doofus out there.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #66
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
Damn, that Marin is such an expert on everything I don't know why I didn't ask him in the first place.

Bob
Old 12-16-2012, 06:29 PM   #67
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Originally Posted by Northern Spy
Seems like the Commonwealth countries are a bit more "formal" and in my opinion, "correct" than the US. Perhaps it it because they require a license and a requisite course to operate?[/QUOTE]

Greatpappabear from the UK replied...

Using a VHF without having passed the test (in the UK) is an offence.

As it is also downunder both here here in Oz and NZ. We were fortunate in that the OZ people accept the NZ qualification both my wife and I had when we came over.

It obviously, (like the requirement for all pilots to pass/have a boat licence), pays dividends, as inappropriate traffic on our VHF is very limited, and usually only happens if a child manages to get playing on one - usually rapidly terminated by an irate and apologetic parent.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #68
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Damn, that Marin is such an expert on everything I don't know why I didn't ask him in the first place.

Bob

You asked how people refer to their boats on the radio. While it seems to me to be a question common sense would answer for most boaters, since you asked I told you that in this area, virtually everyone simply refers to their boats by name only. They don't say 'sailing vessel" or "motor vessel" or whatnot. At least not in normal, Ch.16 radio calls.

What people do in other areas is what they do in other areas.

99.999 percent of the time nobody's gonna give a rip how you refer to your boat. Trawler, cruiser, pleasure boat, motor vessel, recreational vessel, toy boat---- it doesn't matter to me or them. There doesn't seem to be any rule about it if that's what you're looking for.

If in the odd chance someone actually does care about what kind of boat you have--- the USCG will probably want to know if you tell them you're sinking--- they'll ask for a clarification if whatever you choose to call yourself doesn't make sense to them. Otherwise, I suspect nobody cares. So call your boat whatever you want.

If you didn't want to know what other people did, why'd you ask?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:38 PM   #69
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post

Bob
Bob, Marin doesn't need more ego boosts.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #70
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
Flywright,

In the PNW many boaters use a channel scan function on their VHF. Unless they are looking at the VHF when the call comes in, they may not know which of the scanned channels to answer on. When I had only one VHF I would routinely scan Ch 16 and the VTS channel, and sometimes Ch 6 (tugboats) and occasionally Ch 78 (commercial fishermen). After missing an important announcement on the VTS channel, I installed a second VHF radio. Now I have one radio on Ch 16 and the other on VTS (vessel traffic service) or other channel of interest.
Larry, That's what we did, too. Our lower helm main radio is a Standard Horizon flush mounted into the header panel. It usually stays on 16 or 9 as needed.

I also scan channels almost always, as I suppose most local boaters do in these parts. The flybridge radio is an Icom M422 that has a CommandMic allowing remote use at the lower helm. That control is normally set to scan the local channels. When a call comes in on that scanning radio, it stops the scan feature and displays the channel of the incoming call. If I click the transmit button on that channel, it stays on that channel until I return to scan.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
Old 12-16-2012, 09:05 PM   #71
Master and Commander

Someone needs to show this Luddite how to make my VHF scan particular channels. Ray? Al?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #72
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Someone needs to show this Luddite how to make my VHF scan particular channels. Ray? Al?
If you still have the manual it will usually give pretty clear instructions on how to set up the various scan modes like dual-watch, tri-watch, priority scan, and so forth.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #73
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
If you still have the manual it will usually give pretty clear instructions on how to set up the various scan modes like dual-watch, tri-watch, priority scan, and so forth.
Sssshhhh! Marin, I want an excuse for someone to come on the Coot.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #74
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Excuse me?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:17 PM   #75
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Sorry.........
Old 12-16-2012, 09:42 PM   #76

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
I am joining the discussion late. I call "Tiger, Tiger, Tiger, this is motor vessel Fluke on 16"

I use M/V because a one syllable name like ours, Fluke, called alone could sound like a cat choking on a hairball. Something to think about when naming a boat. Payday or Hay day would also NOT be a good choice for other reasons.

I mention ch 16 because some vessels monitor 16 and 13 and 8. I think it clarifies.

I have mused on the FCC station license requirement in for US boats in Canada. If I am in Canada am I in reach of the US FCC?.Just a thought.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #77

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Fluke
The importance of being understood on the radio

Old 12-16-2012, 10:31 PM   #78
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:

I'm in Idaho at the moment. Sea ya' on Saturday. We'll figure it out!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Old 12-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #79
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Seems like the Commonwealth countries are a bit more "formal" and in my opinion, "correct" than the US. Perhaps it it because they require a license and a requisite course to operate?
Required yes, but in practice most people don`t bother getting one here. It helps to at least use the correct alphabet, and observe courtesies and silence periods. Coastguard keep boat details after a log on, so it becomes quicker after, they have most information already.
Recently someone on a boat inappropriately activated its DSC.The skipper spent a lot of time explaining and apologizing. VHF 16 is no place for idiots and the misguided.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #80
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Which model do you have, Mark? Surely you have a picture of it!! I have a buddy moving a 30 ft Chris Craft from your marina to Eddo's next week. If I accompany him, I'll let you know and take a look with you. If all else fails, you can always RTFM!! ;-)

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
Closed Thread