Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #41
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Prefer to hear and speak plain English, especially without a mouth full of food.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #42
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze NL View Post
Up our way we usually hail this way - "Ocean Breeze to Dunworkin, ya got a copy Dunworkin, this is the Ocean Breeze?"..
That's called reverse hailing and it is the mark of an amateur operator. The reason you name the hailed vessel first is to attract his attention. When you lead with your own vessel's name the hailed vessel may miss your name completely by the time they realize you are hailing them.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #43
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
That's called reverse hailing and it is the mark of an amateur operator. The reason you name the hailed vessel first is to attract his attention. When you lead with your own vessel's name the hailed vessel may miss your name completely by the time they realize you are hailing them.
IIRC, that is mentioned in the ROC-M course.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #44
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
When I use my sailboat, I identify my self as "Sailing Vessel Island Mistress".
Since I bought my Mianship 36 DC, I have not yet had a need to communicate with another vessel. I am so used to the 3rd coast having so much oil field traffic and all those vessels refer to themselves as Motor Vessel XXXXXXXXXXX. If I called myself Motor Vessel Serenity, they would be looking for a crew boat or a supply boat, so 'Motor Vessel' is out. If I called myself "Trawler Serenity" I undoubtedly would be confused with a shrimp boat, so "Trawler Serenity" is also out. I absolutely will not call myself "Motor Yacht Serenity". Regardless of dictionary definitions, most people have a preconceived image of what a yachts look like, and a 36 Mainship is not it. Not even close so "Motor Yacht Serenity" is also out.
That leaves me with only one other term I can think of - "Pleasure Craft". If I get on the radio and identify myself as "Pleasure Craft Serenity", I may be no where near correct as far as legitimate descriptions go, but I'm sure everyone within visual will know who I am and that is what counts. Until I can come up with a more appropriate tit;e, I am going to be Pleasure Craft Serenity.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #45

City: Guernsey, Channel islands
Vessel Name: Play d'eau
Vessel Model: Fleming 55
"Jersey Coast Guard, Jersey Coast Guard, Jersey Coast Guard, this is Play d'eau, Play d'eau, Play d'eau, on channel 20, over."

Once answered, I've always believed it sensible to identify whether I was a yacht or motor boat, so I reply,

Jersey Coast guard, this is motor cruiser Play d'eau (etc)'

Trying to identify more that that assumes the CG (and others on the area) have a knowledge of the different terms we apply to our boats. I mean, if it's a yacht, do we need to know it's a ketch or a schooner? In the same vein, do we need to know it's a trawler yacht or whatever?

Keeping it simple is my preference - yacht or motor. Any more is superfluous.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #46
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Here in Oz, we are advised to repeat the party being hailed 3 times, then follow with "this is....(I just use the boat name)", 3 times, adding the full rego number of the boat after the last repeat of name, then, "are you receiving", then I wait. Usually I am calling to log on to our local Coast Guard equivalent to advise them of our general plan, number aboard, destination, and anticipated time of return. In this case, I often avoid 16 and use one of their known working channels, and end with, "standing by to log on" - or off, as case may be.
I don't feel the need to ID my type of craft, as they know what it is because I belong to and pay a sub to the organisation. If I'm calling another boat it is usually one I know, and they know me, so no point.
One time I do ID the vessel is when we are near shipping channels, and I monitor ch 11/12 which is/are the port working channels, and then I will sometimes let them know "I am the Clipper 34 motor cruiser off their port/starboard bow", or whatever our relative positions is. Then I advise them of my intention "to avoid them and stay well out of their way by such and such" manoeuvre, and they are always very appreciative we have monitored the channel, and advised them of our intent, so they don't have to concern themselves about us.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:34 AM   #47
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
As part of your radio opperators lic course one is instructed how to call.
ig. Coast Guard Tin Can Bay(repeat 3 times) this is Tidahapah (repeat 3 times) usually call on the channels monitored by that paticular VMR or Coast Guard.
They will then come back to recognise your call.
Same with other vessels,
Only when giving description of vessel to VMR or Coast Guard do I mention the words motor vessel.
Cheers
Benn
Old 12-16-2012, 04:52 AM   #48
Veteran Member

City: St Augustine
Vessel Model: Mainship390
I like short and to the point for routine communications:

" Ben Sawyer Bridge southbound motor boat Millennium requesting your next opening".

If I find myself sinking I would call the CG with triple word repeats.

And if I hear someone say "Breaker 16 this here's the Rubber Duck" I have to turn off the VHF.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:11 AM   #49
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Interesting observation: Added AIS 3 years ago. As a result, Well over 90% of commercial vessels know who I am, and I know who they are. Any more than the vessels names is unnecessary during the day. In the ocean, I find AIS on non commercial power boats >35' about 30% of the time with the percentage greatly increasing with the size of the vessel. With Sail boats it's probably 50%, but then most of them are traveling up and down the coast (not local to Ocean City, MD).

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
Old 12-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #50
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Seems like the Commonwealth countries are a bit more "formal" and in my opinion, "correct" than the US. Perhaps it it because they require a license and a requisite course to operate?

Comox VTS and the Coast Guard keep the inane chatter off of 16 for the most part, but you still hear some interesting radio technique in the summer.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Seems like the Commonwealth countries are a bit more "formal" and in my opinion, "correct" than the US. Perhaps it it because they require a license and a requisite course to operate?
In the UK we have to pass a Short Range VHF test which is normally conducted at the end of the day course. Passing gets you a call sign. Using a VHF without having passed the test is an offence.

So do you not have to pass a test in the USA?
Old 12-16-2012, 07:38 AM   #52
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatpapabear View Post
No test or license is required for vessels that aren't required to have VHF radios (some charter and most recreational vessels). Vessels equiped with SSB are required to a station and an operators license regardless of use.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
Old 12-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
No test or license is required for vessels that aren't required to have VHF radios (some charter and most recreational vessels). Vessels equiped with SSB are required to a station and an operators license regardless of use.

Ted
Quite the opposite in the UK. Doing the course and passing the test adds to a common and understandable use of the VHF.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #54
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: Whitby 42
This is the first reply to the original question that I have seen that answers the question. It was not about how to hail, but how to identify the vessel type. We have found that when waiting on a bridge opening or waiting to enter a lock it is helpful for the bridge/lock tender to know the type of vessel. Many times they will hail the power boats to pass through or enter the lock first.

Bob
Old 12-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #55
Veteran Member

City: Pender Island
radio protocal

If I were heading South through the Pender Canal I'd say: Security-Security- Security this is the 26 foot Motor Vessel Lucy 11 south bound through the Pender Canal.. any concerned traffic please respond on 16....Lucy11 out.................... others know how large a boat -- direction headed -- name(so that when they see it they will know 'tis moi)....NB.. Do not tie up CH16 with chit-chat!!!!! seems to work!! jp
Old 12-16-2012, 02:00 PM   #56
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Reciting the channel you're on adds nothing to the transmission. If he didn't have his radio already tuned to that channel, he wouldn't hear you. It's like telling him you're speaking English. If he speaks it, he already knows...and if he doesn't speak it, he doesn't understand you anyway.

As an air traffic controller, we worked many frequencies at the same time. A light always illuminated indicating the frequency being received. Pilots didn't need to tell me what frequency they were calling on and seldom if ever did that I can recall.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
Old 12-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #57
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
That leaves me with only one other term I can think of - "Pleasure Craft".
From our experience and observation, nobody gives a rip in hell what kind of boat you have under normal circumstances. We have never prefaced our radio calls with a type of boat and I almost never hear anyone else up here, power or sail, do it either. We all just use our boat name. "XYZ, XYZ, this is La Pérouse." That's it.

The only time we and anybody else here announces what type of boat they have is when communicating with VTS (Vessel Traffic Servce) if one wants to get into the "system" in low visibility, and the USCG if communicating an emergency or problem. VTS likes to know the type of vessel so they can tell conflicting traffic what to be on the lookout for.

But outside of that, I see no reason at all (other than possibly bridge operators) to have to announce the type of vessel you are. Pretty much everyone else on the water's not going need to know, let alone care.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #58

City: Pacific Northwest
Vessel Name: Jacari Maru
Vessel Model: 2014 Ranger Tug R-27
Flywright,

In the PNW many boaters use a channel scan function on their VHF. Unless they are looking at the VHF when the call comes in, they may not know which of the scanned channels to answer on. When I had only one VHF I would routinely scan Ch 16 and the VTS channel, and sometimes Ch 6 (tugboats) and occasionally Ch 78 (commercial fishermen). After missing an important announcement on the VTS channel, I installed a second VHF radio. Now I have one radio on Ch 16 and the other on VTS (vessel traffic service) or other channel of interest.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #59
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry H View Post
After missing an important announcement on the VTS channel, I installed a second VHF radio. Now I have one radio on Ch 16 and the other on VTS (vessel traffic service) or other channel of interest.
Hmmm... that's a very good point, Larry. We have a 504 at the lower helm and often use dual or tri watch. While I don't recall any instance where we missed something we wanted or needed to hear, I can certainly see where this could occur. You make a good case for a second VHF at the helm station that's used the most, in our case the lower one. Particularly if one boats in areas of higher commercial traffic concentration.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #60
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
[QUOTE=greatpapabear;120010]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Seems like the Commonwealth countries are a bit more "formal" and in my opinion, "correct" than the US. Perhaps it it because they require a license and a requisite course to operate?/QUOTE]

Using a VHF without having passed the test is an offence.

Here on a Holiday weekend it can become offencive. Kids, fishermen swearing at each other, asking what's happening out at #2, are they biting.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
Closed Thread