Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Like comm with air traffic control, I keep the hailing transmission brief and succinct to avoid tying up the frequency. Most of my hailings are to bridges for openings. They all start like this..."Rio Vista Bridge, this is FlyWright."

If further clarification is needed on vessel type, it can be provided in followup transmissions. I have never been asked or felt the need to provide it, though.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
Old 12-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #22
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by VixenII View Post
right on, bobofthenorth. Keep it simple. The rest of the MV/SV/Motor Yacht/etc descriptors just clog up the freqency. Does anyone really say, "Hailing?" And Steve, how are the shrimp running?
16 -20 count, shrimp are $4.20 at stands along the bayou
20-30 are usually about 3.50.

I see you are in la Parguera, I grew up near there, at Central Aguirre, the now closed sugar plantation on Jobos Bay. If you go to a seafood restaurant try the Chillo al Mojo, PR style snapper with a sort of creole sauce, excellent.
Steve W

Old 12-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
I've never mentioned my vessel type when hailing. But we are usually hailing someone we know or a bridge we are looking right at.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Old 12-15-2012, 02:55 PM   #24
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
We always say "This is motor vessel Traveler..."
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Old 12-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Like comm with air traffic control, I keep the hailing transmission brief and succinct to avoid tying up the frequency. Most of my hailings are to bridges for openings. They all start like this..."Rio Vista Bridge, this is FlyWright."
I give bridge tenders time to wake up from their possible stupors and repeat the bridge name as in "Mare Island Causeway Bridge, Mare Island Causeway Bridge, this is recreational vessel Carquinez Coot calling Mare Island Causeway Bridge. Requesting upriver passage."

And once when the bridge tender asked to identify my boat, I responded "the boat downriver with the yellow pilothouse roof."

When calling another boat, I state the other boat's name three times and then give the name of mine.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:16 PM   #26
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Wow, I'm sorry I mentioned it. But on the Gulf Coast ICW there is usually quite a bit of traffic and I think it simplifies things if you identify the type of vessel. Same thing waiting for a bridge. The bridge tenders generally want the names of the boats coming through and I think it helps them identify the vessels easier if they know the type, not just the name.

While waiting for a bridge with tow traffic coming we have been hailed by the bridge tender and told to go ahead since he knew we were a power boat and could get through in time while he held up the sailboat until the tow passed through.

Bob
Old 12-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: -
If we initiate the call we say, "Happy Destiny, Happy Destiny, La Pérouse." (Happy Destiny is the name of Carey's boat.)

If someone calls us we say, "Happy Destiny, La Pérouse, go ahead."

If we are running in poor visibility and want to notify VTS of who we are, where we are, and where we're going so they can put us in their traffic system, we say, "Seattle VTS, this is the 36 foot motor vessel La Pérouse."

VTS doesn't care whether we're a recreational boat or a working boat. All they care about is our size, our speed, where we are when we call inititally, and where we're going.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #28
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I call myself a pleasure boat to the working ones out there.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #29
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Bob you have a lot more traffic where you are. . We tend to go through the same bridge a few times a month and rarely is anyone else waiting.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Old 12-15-2012, 05:59 PM   #30
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Up our way we usually hail this way - "Ocean Breeze to Dunworkin, ya got a copy Dunworkin, this is the Ocean Breeze?".. if I ever mention a trawler I would have lots of query on how's the fishing.

Only time I would ever mention trawler I would stay "we are operating a 38' trawler style pleasure craft". If I needed to hail the CG, I would use my AIS first and wait for a call from them.

Elwin
Old 12-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I call myself a pleasure boat to the working ones out there.
Sounds too hedonistic for me. (Welcome to my pleasure boat.) I generally describe the Coot as "my boat" or "motorboat" or "slow boat" to the general public and "recreational vessel" to officials.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze NL View Post
If I needed to hail the CG, I would use my AIS first and wait for a call from them.

Elwin

Why the AIS instead of DSC? Or are you talking about a non-emergency contact?
Old 12-15-2012, 06:10 PM   #33
Guru

Ya I should have clarified, non-emergency.. I have a bunch of programmed txt on the AIS that just gives a greeting from, and all's well. The CG is always around or in the distance.

DSC would be used for emergency and AIS would give a better location and give vessel description.

Elwin
Old 12-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I just say "Ketchikan Harbormaster this is the Willy over". I can't believe all the people say'in "on channel 16". WHAT FOR!

Agreed. Same thing with the people who after hailing another boat several times with no reply then come back on the air and say, "This is the ABC hailing the XYZ, no contact."

And of course the classic is the guy who says, "This is the ABC for a radio check." Then the USCG comes back and says, "Switch to channel 83 Alpha for radio checks." Why bother? The USCG just gave you one.

Speaking of radio checks, if a boater chooses to respond to one, in addition to the response itself it is very handy for the person asking for the check to know where the responses are coming from. Otherwise there is no way of knowing how far his radio is reaching. With no location given, all his responses might be from boats very close to him and his signal is not actually going very far. We rarely respond to radio checks but when we do we always include our location (by name, not by lat/long.)
Old 12-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #35
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze NL View Post
Ya I should have clarified, non-emergency.. I have a bunch of programmed txt on the AIS that just gives a greeting from, and all's well. The CG is always around or in the distance.

DSC would be used for emergency and AIS would give a better location and give vessel description.

Elwin

Thanks for the clarification. i didn't know one could do that with AIS. We have so far not bothered with it as we haven't seen any real value in the waters we boat in. But it's good to know some of the capabilities.

Our boat came with a great Furuno Loran-C unit, probably the last model they made. We used to use it even when we installed the new GPS plotters right after buying the boat. But now it's useless. I haven't taken it out yet because we don't want a big rectangular hole in the panel. So every now and then I think about what we might there to fill the hole.

A wind speed/direction indicator is one possibility. And so is AIS. But we need more of a valid reason to get one at this point. So good to know it's capabilities other than just telling us the name and speed of "that bulk carrier over there."
Old 12-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #36
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Thanks for the clarification. i didn't know one could do that with AIS. We have so far not bothered with it as we haven't seen any real value in the waters we boat in. But it's good to know some of the capabilities.
I'm curious how you're doing that as well. I think you're maybe actually initiating a DSC VHF call and not an AIS call? I have AIS on my boat and have never heard of that.

What brand are you using and how are you broadcasting text like that?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #37
Guru

It is a AMEC CAMINO unit and it has 5 SRMs that can be broadcast. Whenever the CCG or other boats with AIS receivers are close, I can send them a message without calling them on the radio.

Elwin
Old 12-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #38

City: EC FL
Does anyone know if federal lockmasters on the Western rivers, such as the upper Miss, the Illinois, the Ohio, the Tenn, the Cumberland, or the Tom Bigbe have or are scheduled to have AIS?

Can’t find anything on Bing, Google, or the USACOE site.

While I have never cruised those rivers it would seem to me that it would be a big help in scheduling recreational vessels locking thru between the tows.

I’m thinking about doing the Ohio next spring/summer to Pittsburgh. Trying to decide which class of AIS to buy.

Mike
Old 12-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #39
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"Vancouver Coast Guard, Vancouver Coast Guard, Vancouver Coast Guard, this is Retreat, Retreat, Retreat, on eight three Alpha, for a radio check"

Anyone who calls in a different way will not pass their personal radio license exam.

Type of boat need be given only in an emergency, when the Coast Guard will be sending someone to assist, so they will need to know type, dominant colour, size, number of people on board, and whether all are wearing PFDs. Those details are usually requested in the CG response to your distress call.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #40
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Truth be told, I send this video to all my new boat buyers so that they can fully learn proper radio protocol

Closed Thread