Old 12-15-2014, 05:29 PM   #41
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
The social networking aspect of boating not so much.
Bottom line is that we're not interested in connectivity from a soclal networking aspect when we're on our boat.
My entire life's work has been about developing the things that others felt "not so much" about. I love being on that side of the curve. Some day I'll publish the few hundred emails we received about why ActiveCaptain would never take off...from 2007.

From my perspective of being in this exact same position about 4-5 times in the last 30 years, this one is obvious. My biggest fear is that it's too obvious and I won't be given the time to develop the years of technology necessary to pull it off completely before having to deal with competition. Time will tell...

Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:06 PM   #42
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S View Post
Some day I'll publish the few hundred emails we received about why ActiveCaptain would never take off...from 2007.
Yes, I remember the naysaying posts from the T&T list when Active Captain began being talked about.

Quote:
My biggest fear is that it's too obvious and I won't be given the time to develop the years of technology necessary to pull it off completely before having to deal with competition. Time will tell...
That's a valid concern. One of my videographers has a son who was wooed while still a senior in college a couple of years go by Facebook, Google, and Amazon. He chose Google and his starting salary (this was for a guy who just graduated with a Bachelor's degree) was $100,000 plus a $70,000 signing bonus, for an idication of what these companies think of this guy.

And his take on the direction everything is going is that soon-- by which he seems to feel is just a few years--- people will be able to do everything with just one device. Everything. Navigate, talk, video, pictures, write, conduct remote business meetings, security.... everything.

He says they are amazingly close right now, and that it's more of a marketing, branding, who's-in-control fight right now than a technological challenge. The biggies--- Google, Amazon, Sony, Apple, etc--- are the ones behind it and he believes the ultimate result will come from one or a combination of some of them.

According to him, the pace of this kind of development is accelerating at an almost inconceivable rate because every development makes it that much faster and easier to create the next development. He likens it to a tornado, where everything it picks up makes it even bigger and faster and more impactful.

Even the company I work for is part of this. Not only are we an integral component of the creation and launch of some of the satellites that will be part of this growing connectivity network but we're branching out into new fields of endeavor, including maritime connectivity and networking.

All this is fine with me. My only request is that whatever these folks come up with, it has an on-off button for each function.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:

All this is fine with me. My only request is that whatever these folks come up with, it has an on-off button for each function.
D'accord.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #44
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:

And his take on the direction everything is going is that soon-- by which he seems to feel is just a few years--- people will be able to do everything with just one device. Everything. Navigate, talk, video, pictures, write, conduct remote business meetings, security.... everything.

And that's the rub. As people depend more and more on electronic devices, the off button will disappear.

Then when it doesn't work, we will take it to the $100k witch doctor to fix it for us.

But the real joke here is that while we don't seem able to keep classified information secret anymore, more and more people somehow expect to keep all THEIR information private, in the cloud, at Google, Facebook, etc.

Which will be kept private, until it isn't.

Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote