How can I test this connection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Ok, not only am a newbie in terms of boat ownership, but I know even less about troubleshooting electronics. That said, I was always the guy that helped everyone hook up their stereo equipment, so there's hope. :)

Anyway, I have a Ray260 with a lower and upper station (handset). Both stations have the Raymarine passive speaker connected. The lower helm station works fine. The upper does not.

I was about to place an order for a replacement speaker for $59. However, before I do that I though it would make more sense to first test the connection to see if there is a signal.

The passive speaker connects via an RCA connector. And the speaker since it is passive and not amplified, is getting power through the connector RCA connection.

How would I go about testing the connection? I don't even own a meter of any sort, so would need to purchase one, which I'd imagine is going to be very handy to have on the boat.

Thanks!
Mike

could you use something like this and a pair of headphones ??

Stereo-mini-to-dual-RCA1.jpg

could you use something like this and a pair of headphones ??

Possibly, although I have no idea how much power is being transferred through the RCA jack. I had always believed that the RCA connectors were only carrying the low level signal and not actual power. A headphone is obviously typically getting power from the headphone jack, but not sure how that power level compared to what's coming through the RCA jack.

Do you have the manual? If not, download it on line.

You could try plugging the speaker in question into the connector for the speaker that is working. If it works it's not the speaker.

Attachments

• Ray260.jpg
    Ray260.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 53
I'd guess the speaker is shot; the easiest way to troubleshoot it is to find a speaker that works & hook it up. You don't indicate if what you're connecting to is a jack or plug, the speaker probably is a plug. Either way, connect one wire of the speaker to the outer conductor, the other to the center conductor. You can probably get a straightened paper clip into the center conductor. You could alternatively get a new plug to use in testing, you may need to solder (2) wires to it. You don't need a Raymarine speaker, even if the impedance isn't an exact match, it'll probably work. If you can get the Raymarine speaker housing apart, you can probably find a replacement speaker online to replace the one in the Raymarine housing. It should have the impedance (ohms) listed somewhere, althought it's not critical.
If that doesn't make sense, there's probably a video on YouTube that shows more. Google is your troubleshooting friend.

You probably have an RCA cable at home so remove the speaker and take it to lower station and plug in directly at the 120 using a different RCA cable. It could be a problem with the second station output of the 120. To absolutely determine that you would need a second good speaker. If it still didn't work then the output of 120 failed.

Tom

Do you have the manual? If not, download it on line.

You could try plugging the speaker in question into the connector for the speaker that is working. If it works it's not the speaker.

Yeah, that's what I will do. Was trying to avoid it because taking the speaker out is going to be a royal pain assuming I have to loosen the nuts from the back, which is what it looks like. Nothing too technical, but I am going to need to be quite the contortionist to get at them since I need to go through the relatively small access panel providing access under the flybridge dash.

Also, I do have the manual, both print and online. Didn't really help other than to tell me where the connections went.

For what it's worth, the diagram you attached (thanks for doing that by the way) is for the active speakers, which use the SeaTalk connectors for the speaker connections. The passive speaker connections are a little different, and utilize RCA.

Thanks everyone!

The speaker is connected to a male RCA plug, right? Unplug it and using whatever test wires you find lying around, connect it to a 1.5 volt battery. Listen carefully as you do this. If it's good, the speaker will click each time to connect or disconnect it.

A cheap continuity checker will also work for this. The kind with a "AA" cell battery and a lightbulb. It will also light up if the speaker is good.

The passive speaker connects via an RCA connector. And the speaker since it is passive and not amplified, is getting power through the connector RCA connection.

This really confuses me. It is unlikely an amplified signal is being sent thru small gauge wires, and more so thru RCA connectors. Last time I saw this was in the 70's on Realistic/Radio Shack gear. Certainly not on marine radio gear. RCA connectors would be horrible in a marine environment.

If it is an amplified signal, testing with a spare speaker is easy at the amp side. If it is a low (line level) signal, testing would be a little more tricky.

Are you SURE you are sending amplified signal down that line?

This really confuses me. It is unlikely an amplified signal is being sent thru small gauge wires, and more so thru RCA connectors. Last time I saw this was in the 70's on Realistic/Radio Shack gear. Certainly not on marine radio gear. RCA connectors would be horrible in a marine environment.

If it is an amplified signal, testing with a spare speaker is easy at the amp side. If it is a low (line level) signal, testing would be a little more tricky.

Are you SURE you are sending amplified signal down that line?

It is a pretty confusing statement and in my response above, I pretty much ignored that part.

It's not uncommon to use RCA type plugs and jacks for low powered speaker connections and they are probably more robust and reliable than the mini sockets and plugs so common today. The RCA connectors can handle a few watts of audio power and if left permanently connected would be relatively weather proof, especially with molded plugs. There's more contact area than on the mini plugs.

Yeah, that's what I will do. Was trying to avoid it because taking the speaker out is going to be a royal pain assuming I have to loosen the nuts from the back, which is what it looks like. Nothing too technical, but I am going to need to be quite the contortionist to get at them since I need to go through the relatively small access panel providing access under the flybridge dash.

Also, I do have the manual, both print and online. Didn't really help other than to tell me where the connections went.

For what it's worth, the diagram you attached (thanks for doing that by the way) is for the active speakers, which use the SeaTalk connectors for the speaker connections. The passive speaker connections are a little different, and utilize RCA.

Thanks everyone!

In the diagram the third station shows the passive with the RCA. I understand both of yours are passive. Sounds like you have a handle on it.

The only other suggestion might be to check for corrosion at the connections, unplug and reconnect. Cheers!

A "speaker" is inherently "passive".

Speakers with integrated amplifiers are typically referred to as "active" while those without are considered "passive". In this case, Raymarine also offers a speaker with an integrated amplifier that connects through SeaTalk, and is referred to as an "active" speaker.

I actually went to the Pacific Sail and Motor Boat Show in Richmond yesterday and Raymarine was there. Their rep also recommended to simply test it by using an RCA to 3.5mm adapter and plugging a pair of headphones in. Will do this next time I am on the boat.

Thanks everyone for the guidance!

Mike

P.S. For what it's worth, I did spray the RCA connectors with a contact cleaner, which didn't fix the problem. :-(

Speakers with integrated amplifiers are typically referred to as "active" while those without are considered "passive". .............................

This was my line of work for over twenty years. Speakers without integrated amplifiers are referred to as "speakers". Just plain speakers.

517Jchtl1AL._AC_US160_.jpg
And as I posted above, you can test one with a flashlight battery.

Whatever it is that has to do with electricity you can put a Fluke meter on it.

BUT

You have to know how to work the meter and then you have to know what it's telling you.

This was my line of work for over twenty years. Speakers without integrated amplifiers are referred to as "speakers". Just plain speakers.

While I personally would normally refer to a non-amplified speaker as just a speaker, there are certainly many instances where they are referred to as passive in order to distinguish them from active speakers. Just do a Google search for passive speakers and you'll find a gazillion hits. Raymarine distinguishes the two types using this language, and it's fairly common with PA type speakers as well.

Back
Top Bottom