How can I add labels for switches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
As in I add switches and then only I know what they do, but also I can forget what they do.
Is there a label maker where you can choose fonts and apply them as decal tape? I dont like the very old way of opaque tape strips punching out lettering.
Like having dark letters on a clear plastic durable tape placed near a switch?

Or what? My hand is not precise enough to hand draw nice looking labeling.

Can a computer print something on a clear tape?

As in I add switches and then only I know what they do, but also I can forget what they do.
Is there a label maker where you can choose fonts and apply them as decal tape? I dont like the very old way of opaque tape strips punching out lettering.
Like having dark letters on a clear plastic durable tape placed near a switch?

Or what? My hand is not precise enough to hand draw nice looking labeling.

Can a computer print something on a clear tape?

Yes. I also use one for labeling wires. This one is similar to the one I had. Look around though. There are more options. You can check them out at most office supply stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-PTD2...03f08a682d5da16804746911ed0fd1&language=en_US

One or more of the panel companies, like Paneltronics sells a full set of labels that you peel off and stick underneath the breaker. Their set is quite comprehensive.

David

I have had a trophy company make me a label set for an added switch panel. I gave them the breaker spacing and they made one label that had 8 breakers listed on it. It had PSA backing that never let go.

Blue Seas has hundreds of individual labels that are PSA. They cost $1 each. They will make custom labels for $5 each. Look very nice and professional.

Just look at any label maker. We have a Brother label maker that allows different fonts. It is very handy on the boat and at home.

I have a Brother label maker also. The labels just don’t look as nice and neat because they tend to be different lengths. I like everything to be neat looking, that’s why I like the Blue Seas labels, they are uniform in size.

Just look at any label maker. We have a Brother label maker that allows different fonts. It is very handy on the boat and at home.
I've had a Brothers PTouch machine for years and love it! Different fonts, colors, widths , symbols, etc. As a matter of fact I just used it today for some labeling on the fly bridge.

Another Brother advocate, especially since it sounds to me like the OP just wants the odd label here and there.

Attachments

• 46984888-A28D-40D3-B88A-43EDE142166C.jpeg
    46984888-A28D-40D3-B88A-43EDE142166C.jpeg
    9.6 KB · Views: 956
When I bought each of my boats, I initially used a Brother labeler to correct any labels that didn't match reality. Then I went back later and ordered real "panel plates" for anything that got updated and new circuits that were added.

I used this supplier:

-- https://www.petersenspecialty.net/

The Blue Sea labels will function with use on a backlit panel, like theirs or Paneltronics like I have. The Brother tape writer can make a fair approximation with white on black tape, but it won't light up the lettering, so it's not hard to spot the imposter! I just ordered a few to keep up with some recent changes and replacements of old ones. Not cheap, but they look like they belong. The Dymo embossed labels look pretty shabby.

I use a mid range Brothers labeler. You can control font style, size and spacing. I have also used FrontPanel Express. Easy to use software and excellent finished product. Made a custom electrical panel for my last boat, complete with engraved logos.

Yet another Brother label maker fan here; many uses on a boat beyond electrical. For instance I would label various filters as to the date and engine hours they were changed, likewise the cooling system. New or replacement equipment (like pumps) ditto. Very handy.

When we added the inverter system to our boat, it caused a few existing panels to need labels added or changed. Got pretty fugly, so I took the panels in to an engraving / trophy shop and they were able to replicate the OEM engraved lettering. Came out great.

I have a Brother label maker also. The labels just don’t look as nice and neat because they tend to be different lengths. I like everything to be neat looking, that’s why I like the Blue Seas labels, they are uniform in size.

Some label makers have clear film rolls available for printing onto. Would that help? They would be transparent and could be cut down on the ends. Nothing would show except the words and whatever the label is stuck too.

How about pictures of labels made with a label maker?

Thanks in advance.

How about pictures of labels made with a label maker?

Thanks in advance.

I've recently been working on a new panel. Using a Dymo Rhino. Lots of options with fonts and fixed or variable sizing as well as types of tapes to print on.
Yes, you can easily see the difference between the Blue Sea printed ones and those I did with the label maker but they look okay to my eye. I do plan on these being temporary until I get custom printed one from Blue Seas.

Attachments

• FullPanel.jpg
    FullPanel.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 89
  • PanelLabels.jpg
    PanelLabels.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 71
I just ordered a few to keep up with some recent changes and replacements of old ones. Not cheap, but they look like they belong.

Did you order custom labels, and if so may I ask where you got them? I've had a bit of trouble finding a source. Blue Sea told me they were not taking order directly and to call one of their distributors but a couple I've called have not been able to help either.

Blue Seas used to have an online order system that had the custom labels in the system. I just looked at their website and could not find the custom order area. I googled blue seas custom label and it came up with a form that you have to fill out and either fax or mail it in. Sure isn’t as easy but looks like it is doable. Custom labels are $5 each per the form.

Like others, I use a label maker, but I prefer the Brady series of printers for a number of reasons.

I have a background in the electrical and networking/IT world, and Brother label printers are good, but I have never felt that their label tape lasts as long as it should.

Brady is used by scientists and telecomm folks in situations where there are crazy heat/cold situations. I've found that their High Adhesion Cloth Label Tape stays on things that you could never get other brands to stay with. They also have tons of other options for see through, clear, shrink wrap, and many other types of labels. Their printer is also nearly indestructible.

I've also used Front Panel Express for years, and created at least 10 various panels for previous boats. I will be creating at least three for my current boat after finishing some upcoming changes.

Attachments

• Grace-completed-nav-electrical-panel-1024x683.jpg
    Grace-completed-nav-electrical-panel-1024x683.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 83
I've also used Front Panel Express for years, and created at least 10 various panels for previous boats. I will be creating at least three for my current boat after finishing some upcoming changes.

That is a very nice looking panel!

My panels have backlit labels which are really nice. Unfortunately, the light bars behind one column of breakers has failed. The replacements were in the boat when I bought it. That was over 3 years ago... yeah I’ll get around to it eventually.

You might find that Blue Sea can't provide any custom labels at this time and your only choice is to buy a label set from a distributor with old stock. I believe that their label maker equipment was part of the fire that destroyed their main warehouse and headquarters in Bellingham.

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article221559585.html

When I spoke to them a couple months ago they said to check back in around now to see if they were back in operation and could do custom labels again. Probably worth giving them a call. Meanwhile make temporary lables with a lable machine.

Brother p touch printer. Small and you can get all sorts of colors and letter colors. I get the black laminated tape with white letters to label the electrical panel, red and yellow for very important things, Other colors for wires, spices, repackaged Foods, spares, anything that I must look at the top and would like to identify before I pull it out of its snugly fitted place. etc. I got it on amazon. Get the laminated tapes as they don’t deteriorate in the boat environment.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom