Old 05-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #41
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Thanks Kevin,

My system: 24" LCD monitors, Computer, wifi, router, Groove Wifi Extender and AIS are all 12v.

The Router is MikroTik

Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #42
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Kevin: I get what you are saying, but I think most (?) of us would prefer a cellular solution that just worked off our smartphone's ability to serve as a hotspot, rather than having to go buy another device (eg: a usb modem). I think those things are fast fading in the marketplace given the power of the current crop of smartphones. Very carrier and country specific, but apart from the extra hardware there's often negotiating a new plan or a plan add-on, separate billing, etc etc....as opposed to just finding a phone plan that can be cranked up on the data side just enough to cover boat-time needs. Only a very minor quibble though and I know some carriers, in some markets, offer great deals on the usb modems. Jeff has written extensively -- and really compellingly -- over at least 7 AC newsletters about how he approaches the cellular/wifi thing. One of his comments really worked for me: with an external wifi antenna (eg bullet/IslandPC/RogueWave types plugged into router's WAN port), you can use the wifi hotspot to find the smartphone hotspot & connect to it..and you suddenly have cellular access without needing a usb modem. And at least on my Samsung S4, I have a hotspot setting that allows me to prioritize wifi over cellular so I can create a fail-back if I'm on wifi but it drops out and I want to stay connected (at all costs!) to the 'net.

Stepping back, I think there seems to be general agreement that for many folks, a decent domestic router with a WAN port plugged to a 'boosted' wifi antenna; as many ethernet ports as you need for must/best if wired devices (like my Furuno NN3D MFD & radar); and wifi for all the wireless devices so everything can share data and the I/net connection, is the basic topology for today. Of course it will be different in 5 years or less, as technologies shift in ways we cannot predict...but that's ok, we're now used to changing technologies in these spaces that frequently, at least, anyway now.
Yes, that is a dooable solution, and will work well for many situations. If I am reading your post properly, you are indicating the use of a router with wifi as a WAN gateway, incorporating a layer 2 switch. THANKS for posting that. It answers the question I brought up in a previous post.

My preferred solution is exactly that with the addition of cellular capability, not requiring the use of someones phone.

The good thing is that your solution (using the phones hot spot as a WAN gateway) incurs no recurring costs, and about $100 less cost to set up initially, although running cable for a wifi booster antenna can be labor intensive in some boats.

The limitation is that it requires the cell phone to be on board, or someone's wifi signal to connect to.

With AT&T (my carrier) getting either a USB modem or a new SIM card required a visit to the local AT&T store. Since we have a "family plan" there was no extra billing hassles, we just added the new sim card to our existing group plan. The cost is $10 per month.

AS I indicated I see less and less need for "free" wifi access as cellular data rates fall. Free wifi hot spots had their day. Prior to inexpensive cellular data people actually sought out and frequented establishments offering free wifi access. But alas, just like the old "color TV" advertisements we occasionally see on a aging motel, the "free wifi" advertising will fade away as technology replaces the need.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #43
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Just want to offer up a rather simple solution for wifi that we have been using on our boat for several months. The project started because we put a new LED TV and Roku on the boat, but found that the WIFI signal at our marina was a little weak in our slip, which led to a lot of buffering. I didn't want to spend a ton of money, and certainly didn't need a very long range WIFI like the expensive options out there. We wound up getting a Netgear Trek, which sells for around $40.

The trek plugs into a regular AC outlet, but will also run off of a USB connection. Becuase the pilot house is the highest inside spot on the boat, that is where I placed it. We run it off a USB plug through a cigarette lighter outlet. The larger antenna is enough to give us a solid signal, and the WIFI reaches the entire boat (I can actually connect to it from several docks over). It certainly won't reach long distances like other dedicated options, but it gives us just the boost we need when in the slip. It also acts as a WIFI router, which we connect to with the Roku and our phones when on the boat and in the slip. It was really easy to set up and didn't cost much. Just another option.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:18 PM   #44
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
"Free Wi-Fi" although convenient(read here cheap) is far from "secure". Anyone basing a network upon unsecured wi-fi gets exactly what they deserve IMO. About as safe as unprotected sex in a Sierra Leone brothel.

All of my banking and financial services have been done exclusively online for over a decade and I've yet to suffer a data breach. I also religiously avoid free wi-fi. Coincidence? I think not. Spend a few extra bucks on cellular data and save yourself a boatload of trouble is my thought.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #45
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
"Free Wi-Fi" although convenient(read here cheap) is far from "secure". Anyone basing a network upon unsecured wi-fi gets exactly what they deserve IMO. About as safe as unprotected sex in a Sierra Leone brothel.

All of my banking and financial services have been done exclusively online for over a decade and I've yet to suffer a data breach. I also religiously avoid free wi-fi. Coincidence? I think not. Spend a few extra bucks on cellular data and save yourself a boatload of trouble is my thought.
In some places like the Bahamas you get what you can get. Now anyone bright enough to do online shopping or banking on a open connection with out a VPN kinda deserves it.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:53 PM   #46
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I am less worried about my personal info/financial info over wifi than ever.

Heck my identity has been compromised through stolen credit card info, Home Depot hacking, US Govt pay hacking, bank hacking....if I think longer there may have been a few others.

Never once by unsecured wifi.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:32 PM   #47
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
This is my own setup: illustrates what I was trying to explain at post #40
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Comms Topology.pdf (133.3 KB, 74 views)
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:48 AM   #48
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
This is my own setup: illustrates what I was trying to explain at post #40
Yes an effective solution.

My network is pretty much the same with two excpetions.

1. The WAN side of my router prefers a permenant cellular gateway
2. The cellular gateway fails back to a satellite com system.

We don't use WIFI as a WAN source. I'm not all that fond of WIFI as a WAN gateway. The main reason is that I like to set up a network and have it always work. WIFI requires you to get involved at every new harbor.

WIFI might be free but in the over all scheme of things cellular data is insignificant in its cost, at least from my thinking. The same goes with using my IPhone as a WAN gateway. Yes, it works, but my cellular provider charges me $10 a month for a sim card on my shared data plan.

There's allot of reasons I do not use public WIFI. One iis the uncertanity of a signal and bandwidth. For me adding a directional antenna, etc... is more hassle than the little savings I would realize over cellular. Another iis that I do not want to wifi proovider keeping track of where I go on the internet. for example I've seen wifi providers that limit or exclude streaming services like Itunes, which I use for my entertainment. Yes I could hire a VPN service but by the tiime I do that I'm adding complexity and cost to my network.

So yes, your network is an excellent solution for someone that prefers a wifi WAN gateway.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 05-31-2015, 02:52 AM   #49
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Kevin: the choice between cellular & wifi is really a matter of price & availability (given VPNs are used to address security concerns). Price & availability vary enormously between carrier and regions even in the USA...and perhaps even more in other countries. Who can say how the providers will evolve and compete? In my own country (Australia) for example, the dominant Telco (once state-owned) is re-inventing its public phone booths (which had fallen into disuse with the burgeoning of mobile phone take-up) into 'free' WiFi hot-spots...a neat leveraging of the two technologies. My network is all about choices: if I'm somewhere I can reach a free wifi hotspot, I'll jump on it. If I'm not, I can use the cellular network if it is available and just decide whether my need for connectedness justifies the high (for now) cost.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #50

City: Pensacola, FL
Vessel Name: Sea Triscuit
Vessel Model: Transtar 50'
I'm dredging this topic back up because I wish I had read it a month ago. I'm setting up the network on our boat and currently have a tp-link router running dd-wrt set as a client device. Through the boosted parabolic antenna I can connect to distant wifi spots or just to a cellular hotspot. This client router acts as the WAN connection to another router, the access point, which allows for a SPI firewall. IP cameras can be hardwired to the access point router and all devices can connect to it. Now I just need to figure out how to get the AP router to use a VPN rather than having individual devices use a VPN.

I'd be interested to hear how anyone else has done installations in the past year since this thread was active!
Old 06-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #51
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhandler View Post
I'm dredging this topic back up because I wish I had read it a month ago. I'm setting up the network on our boat and currently have a tp-link router running dd-wrt set as a client device. Through the boosted parabolic antenna I can connect to distant wifi spots or just to a cellular hotspot. This client router acts as the WAN connection to another router, the access point, which allows for a SPI firewall. IP cameras can be hardwired to the access point router and all devices can connect to it. Now I just need to figure out how to get the AP router to use a VPN rather than having individual devices use a VPN.

I'd be interested to hear how anyone else has done installations in the past year since this thread was active!
Depends on the router you use (how to do a router based VPN, and what protocols are available)

Personally, excpet for the ability to secure a wifi as wan connection, I do not see any real advantage of using a router based VPN on a boat.

Client side VPN's are easy to establish for things like secure corporate access, etc...

We still use a Cradlepoint solution MBR1200B which I think is a current production router.

www.mvlisasway.com