Old 09-12-2011, 07:27 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
RE: House Battery Bank Switch

Quote:
FF wrote:
"You can use a relay and there are ones available. Unless they have a mechanical latching device, there will be a standby current needed to hold the relay closed. I like to reduce or eliminate any wasted current draw to prolong my time away from shore power."

The tried but true RV setup, the acc terminal on the engine run key closes the merge solenoid .

No lost juice ,the engine is on when the solenoid is closed, no thought required , a solenoid is $18. at the RV dealer.

Seamless , your brother in law could cruise the boat.

KISS

If it's a house bank, the key would have to be left in the ACC position and there would be a current draw to operate the relay.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: St Augustine
Vessel Model: Mainship390
House Battery Bank Switch

I am the origional poster of this thread. Thanks all for the input.

I just finished installing two Balmar alternators(twin engine boat), a bank of 8 agm batteries for the house,inverter, and about a hundred pounds of upgraded cabling.

I wanted the ability to disable all DC current from flowing if there was a electrical problem, those batteries and alternators put out a lot of amps. All wiring is protected by fuses and Cbs but I still want to be able to manually cut off supply. And be able to do so without entering the engine spaces.

I used the Blue Sea remote battery relay( http://bluesea.com/category/1/productline/407 ) as suggested here by Keith. I also installed switches in the alternator field cables to disable their output if necessary.

Probably overkill but for the cost of some switches and relays I think worth the effort.

PS The remote battery switch only requires 12v to open or close the relay.

-- Edited by millennium on Tuesday 13th of September 2011 06:46:13 AM

millennium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:11 AM   #23
FF
Guru

House Battery Bank Switch

If it's a house bank, the key would have to be left in the ACC position and there would be a current draw to operate the relay.

No the house batts are hooked to the house loads as normal.

The run position is what fires the merge solenoid when the main engine is operating.

The ACC position can be used in the slip to fire the solenoid to charge the engine batt from the house charger if needed.

When the merge solenoid is operating either the engine is on or the dockside charger is operating so 1/2 an amp is no problem .

-- Edited by FF on Tuesday 13th of September 2011 04:12:48 AM

FF is online now   Reply With Quote