House Bank Set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DMartin

Vessel Name
Chutay
Vessel Make
Great Harbour N37
Planning on replacing my house bank batteries. Thought I would ask for thoughts or words of wisdom before I take on this task. Here is what I currently have

Attachments

• House Bank.jpg
    House Bank.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 61
You want to take the positive off one end and the negative off the other end. That way you are using the entire bank. If you take both positive and negative off the same end, you will not be charging all the batteries equally and be able to use all of the batteries due to the resistance in the jumper wires between the batteries.

You want to take the positive off one end and the negative off the other end. That way you are using the entire bank. If you take both positive and negative off the same end, you will not be charging all the batteries equally and be able to use all of the batteries due to the resistance in the jumper wires between the batteries.

Yes, what Commodave said. Folks a lot smarter than me can provide the detailed explanation, but it is amazing how much less you use and charge that last 12v pair the way it is currently setup.

Just move either the + or - from that bottom left pair and put it on the bottom right pair. That will solve most of the problem, although there is another configuration that will completely equalize the battery use, it is just a bit more complicated.

How often do you use the boat? Do you anchor or tie up at a dock with power? If at anchor, how much current do to use over 24 hours? What are the charge sources? Lots of questions, but from the answers relevant advice will be easier to give.

Comodave - does it matter that off the main battery cable each set of batteries is wired to the positive and negative terminals? What you are saying I would have to run new +/- cables, is that correct?

Delfin
We have not anchored out since we purchased her. Currently she is on shore power but I know the batteries are 13yrs old.

In the picture disconnect the neg lead to the load from the battery on the left and then connect it to the negative post of the battery on the bottom right.
Btw that is a huge bank!

In the picture disconnect the neg lead to the load from the battery on the left and then connect it to the negative post of the battery on the bottom right.
Btw that is a huge bank!

That is correct. That way the load and charge will go through the whole bank. Are the jumper wires as big as the positive and negative cables?

Delfin
We have not anchored out since we purchased her. Currently she is on shore power but I know the batteries are 13yrs old.

WOW 13 that is amazing

Delfin
Don't mind for the question but if you spend most of your time at the dock why the need of that size of house bank?

L

That is correct. That way the load and charge will go through the whole bank. Are the jumper wires as big as the positive and negative cables?

Yes they are.

Don't mind for the question but if you spend most of your time at the dock why the need of that size of house bank?

L

We have not begun our cruising as of yet. The original owners had them installed

That is a large bank, but I see that as a good thing. It may be one reason they have lasted that long. As long as they are watered and kept up to charge, the fact that they were probably rarely deeply discharged.

Two downsides to that size a bank are cost and weight. I would move one of the load cables as Commodave described. Then see how they perform for you this season. If you don’t get enough performance out of them, replacing them could be next winter’s project.

13 year old batteries are certainly due for replacement. Have fun with your cruising.

Back
Top Bottom