Horns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I have a 36' Aft Cabin model and I need a new horn.
I am trying to decide whether I want air-electric or just a plain electric horn. Which would be better? I plan on spending around $250.
I have never owned an air horn before, unless of course, you count the Wally World throw away. LOL

I bought a tractor trailer air horn off ebay, and put a pancake compressor in the engine room. I was already going to have the compressor for other reasons, so the only increase in cost was the horn, I think 35bucks. Routed 1/4" polyflow hose up to helm, horn came with an airvalve. Pull on the cord, it honks. And yes, loud.

Only thing I would do different is get a dual trumpet, or two tone. Mine is single trumpet. The two tone has a better sound, if that matters.

Truck stuff is good quality and truck guys do not put up with silly marine pricing.

Our boat came with an air whistle with a 12 volt compressor and an electric dual trumpet horn. We had to replace the electric and went with the Ongaro stainless dual. It is just as loud and sounds almost the same as our friends who have an air horn. One benefit of the electric is that it doesn't need to build pressure before it works. Our compressor has to run for a few minutes before the whistle works properly. If I had to go with one horn, I'd go electric for that reason, plus electric is easier to install and less expensive. That said, good airhorns do have a great sound.

I never had an electric horn last more than a couple of years. My air horn has lasted 3 1/2 so far. I get instant sound out of my air horn just like an electric horn. The worst/most embarrassing are the buzzers that came on my friends 41 SeaRay.

I bought this truck horn about two years ago at a garage sale for ten bucks . It's 24 " long and it's loud . My wife told me last night that she is getting me an air compressor for my birthday . Life is good .:)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 120
Just put a load of lumber on this truck . We got him to shower down on these train horns ( 5 total ) before he left . LOUD LOUD

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 115
Horns are great fun , but how many actually use a horn when entering a channel from a marina?

Almost never use the horn, it hurts the dog's ears. Like another poster, I installed truck-style air horns and a compressor, but then I put a regulator on the horn's air supply to turn down the volume. The compressor is very handy though for blowing up floaty toys.

I bought a tractor trailer air horn off ebay, and put a pancake compressor in the engine room. I was already going to have the compressor for other reasons, so the only increase in cost was the horn, I think 35bucks. Routed 1/4" polyflow hose up to helm, horn came with an airvalve. Pull on the cord, it honks. And yes, loud.

Only thing I would do different is get a dual trumpet, or two tone. Mine is single trumpet. The two tone has a better sound, if that matters.

Truck stuff is good quality and truck guys do not put up with silly marine pricing.
Ski , I'm going to be setting my horn up pretty soon . I've got the compressor . Did you use push flock fittings ? I want a pull cord valve but haven't found a valve for that only push button valves . Have any idea where to get pull chain valve ? I've tried Macmaster Carr

Horns are great fun , but how many actually use a horn when entering a channel from a marina?

Our PNW boat came with a set of fairly large air horns. I'm guessing they are original to the boat (1973). They get used once or twice a year when we test them or if we're running in fog.

I almost never hear horns in this area unless there's fog. Even the ferries stop blowing their single blast departure signals after about 7 pm or so. There used to be a fellow in our harbor who used his very loud horn every time he left or retuned to the harbor. So many people complained that the port ordered him to stop.

The only place I hear regular horn usage is in Seattle where boaters going between the lakes or out the Ship Canal to the Sound have to use them to signal the bridge operators.

Last edited:
Ski , I'm going to be setting my horn up pretty soon . I've got the compressor . Did you use push flock fittings ? I want a pull cord valve but haven't found a valve for that only push button valves . Have any idea where to get pull chain valve ? I've tried Macmaster Carr

I used 1/4" OD polyflow aka polyethylene tubing and compression to NPT fittings. The compression fittings come with a brass ferrule and the internal crush sleeves help too. Sleeves not really necessary.

If you have a local heavy duty truck shop, they will have the pull cord valve, but looks like you found that.

Finally got this installed today .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 109

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom