Old 01-30-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Horn fetish?

My background is 24- 28-foot auxiliary sailboats, where electronics were limited to powering navigational lights.* ...

Thus, signals were made with a horn using*lung power or a self-contained, compressed-air cylinder.

Now, with*my Coot in*the future, powered by diesel engine generating "mucho" electrical power (120 vac, 24 vdc), the "horizon" seems almost limitless.

So, forgive me if I went crazy, spending thousands of dollars to replace the standard electrical horn with the*D-1 Kahlenberg air horns on my Coot.* I asked my GF about the sound.* She said they sounded like the Vallejo ferries.* No, I responded, although I like the sound of the D-2 horns better, they sound too much like the ferries, so got the higher-pitched D-1s.* She agreed the D-2 better matched* the ferries.

http://www.kahlenberg.com/yacht.html

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
RE: Horn fetish?

Mark,* The K is my dream horn.* My electric tinker toy is shot and I am back to the old sailboat horn you described.** Hopefully I will come up with an air horn more in keeping with a modest vessel.

I got horn envy- for sure!** JohnP

JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065

Here's an air horn that's really loud and deep, at a reasonable price:* FIAMM Fultone II.* Probably not like a K, but a fine and affordable horn.

Found my second one new in box on eBay for $130, including compressor, pushbutton switch, and relay.* Had to replace a 10-year old one that went TU because it was mounted horizontally rather than at a down angle, and ingested too much salt water.
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Anchored in Desolation sound on a recent trip, we heard a sunset horn symphony.
It was started by one medium sized boat, with ordinary horns. A few others joined in. Then one converted workboat chimed in with a grouping of 4 unequal length big horns. Not to be outdone, another converted workboat topped everyone else with his blast.
The biggest blast was a horn recycled from a decommissioned BC ferry.
This only worked because of the size of the anchorage. Nobody was too close together.

Yours would fit somewhere in the workboat group.

You will get lots of opportunity to give others horn envy.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -
Horn fetish?

Maybe this is just a PNW thing, but outside of horn use in fog, we almost never hear anyone use a horn up here. We've had our boat over twelve years and the only time we've ever used the horns is in fog or when we test them briefly every few months to make sure they still work. We've never used the horns in a passing or meeting situation and we've never heard any other boat do this either. Even the commercial traffic--- freighters, tankers, tugs and barges-- never seem to use horns in our waters. Of course they're all under the control of VTS so their communications are all being done via radio. The BC and Washington State ferries usually blow once just prior to departing a terminal but those are usually the only horns we ever hear during the year. (The ferries we've ridden after dark don't blow at all which I assume is a noise-abatement thing.)

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 31st of January 2011 12:41:04 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

Some of my dock mates, toot their horn when they exit our small basin.* It has a bit of a blind spot and enters the river into the channel thru a small slot.

The only time I have blown our horn is at the end of the fireworks on the 4th of July.

I still think air horns are cool. JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Maybe this is just a PNW thing, but outside of horn use in fog, we almost never hear anyone use a horn up here. We've had our boat over twelve years and the only time we've ever used the horns is in fog or when we test them briefly every few months to make sure they still work. We've never used the horns in a passing or meeting situation and we've never heard any other boat do this either. Even the commercial traffic--- freighters, tankers, tugs and barges-- never seem to use horns in our waters. Of course they're all under the control of VTS so their communications are all being done via radio. The BC and Washington State ferries usually blow once just prior to departing a terminal but those are usually the only horns we ever hear during the year. (The ferries we've ridden after dark don't blow at all which I assume is a noise-abatement thing.)

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 31st of January 2011 12:41:04 PM
I'm with you Marin, I have been boating for 30+ years up here in the Prince William Sound. The only horns I ever hear are kids playing with the darn things.

I have used one of those horns in a can to tell the first mate when to start dropping the prawn traps.

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
Master and Commander

Out my way, the Delta has many narrow, winding, dike- and tree-lined channels, and the SF Bay/Delta area*has periods of fog.* Also, my planned marina (Vallejo Municipal) is surrounded by a raised breakwater making it prudent to signal entering/exiting or closely passing by the entrances.** Also, I expect more yahoos out there (there were no such things as personal watercraft when I was last in those waters.)* *Having a capable horn seems prudent here.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

How else are you going to get WAFI"S out of your way? After all, everyone knows that deep draft daysailors have the right of way...right?...right?

WAFI = Wind assisted F____ing idiot!
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:16 PM   #10
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
markpierce wrote:

Out my way, the Delta has many narrow, winding, dike- and tree-lined channels, and the SF Bay/Delta area*has periods of fog.* Also, my planned marina (Vallejo Municipal) is surrounded by a raised breakwater making it prudent to signal entering/exiting or closely passing by the entrances.** Also, I expect more yahoos out there (there were no such things as personal watercraft when I was last in those waters.)* *Having a capable horn seems prudent here.
I wonder if this guy honked as he passed by.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user79571_1189522846.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	4565  
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Old Stone wrote:

Doesn't bother anyone, and each time I hear one that is coming out, it's fun to wave and find out when the next cocktails will be served. (Always look for the silver lining)
The reaction I have observed in our marina or in marine parks or wherever on the rare occasions we've heard someone use their horns is that everyone gets really pissed off and yells at the horn blower to shut the f_ck up.* The only exception has been when boats blow their horns after a 4th of July fireworks display.

Perhaps the difference is the same as why you hear horns all the time in east coast cities and almost never in Seattle, Bellingham, Vancouver, etc?* Beats me.....

Our boat has very loud dual air horns but other than in fog we'd be served just as well by leaning out the cabin door and saying "beep."
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
Guru

You guys have horny boats.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:36 AM   #13
FF
Guru

AT anchor in heavy fog a horn might be useful.

A cheap electric horn will take less power than a compressor and real air horn.

Anchored with the engine off gives your ears a chance to hear oncoming boats, and 5 shorts is still a tool.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:52 AM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Horn fetish?

I have a weird horn problem. My cabin roof won't support my 350+ pound Leslie Tyfon 300 horn. Of course I'm also missing the 1.5" steam line to run the horn with.

[img]download.spark?ID=868078&aBID=115492[/img]

The horn came off the 650' freighter "Marine Electric" which sank off Chincoteague VA in the early 1980's.

Ted

-- Edited by O C Diver on Tuesday 1st of February 2011 07:55:18 AM
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:19 AM   #15
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Sailor of Fortune wrote:

How else are you going to get WAFI"S out of your way? After all, everyone knows that deep draft daysailors have the right of way...right?...right?

WAFI = Wind assisted F____ing idiot!
They have the right of way until they learn the Gross Tonnage Rule.

I had trouble with them when I*was one.* Some are just plain stupid.*
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
Guru

They don't have the right of way- Cannot impede traffic in the channel. It is a summer routine to see large container ships transitting Ambrose channel trying to move small sail boats out of their
way.
Common sense is not that common.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

As mentioned in a previous discussion I would install a 30W loud Hailer the includes the bell and whistles for fog before an expense horn.*

Jack are those HOOTER girls?
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:20 PM   #18
Guru

"Jack are those HOOTER girls?"

Or more appropriately for this thread..TOOTER girls.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
Guru

Those Are the Hooter girls! As you can see, I upgraded my crew. This picture was taken in Norfolk,Va around 4 years ago. To bad I wasn't working on this tug back then!
Now all I get is pimply faced kids in baggy pants and old farts like myself!
Old 02-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #20
Master and Commander

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:

As mentioned in a previous discussion I would install a 30W loud Hailer the includes the bell and whistles for fog before an expense horn.*

One advantage of vessels under 12 meters in length is that they don't have to carry/use a bell.* By the way, what's the favored method for ringing the bell when anchored outside of a special anchorage area during times, day or night,*of restricted visibility?* I'd betcha*12-plus-meter boaters don't bother, or for*that matter, most anyone*making any sound, such as a horn with timer or not.