Old 02-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #41
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
RE: Horn fetish?

Quote:
Marin wrote:

2.* There is a very active participant on the T&T list who posts under the*name Rudy & Jill who built their boat and is an active full-time cruiser of the ICW and other east-coast waters.* According to him, their boat does not have a VHF radio and he says he sees no need for one.* From what I have gathered from his and others' comments, Rudy is a very experienced boater.* But he has his own way of approaching boating.* He's been taken to task from time to time by some of the T&T participants for his refusal to have or use a radio, which he takes in good humor. But he has his reasons for not wanting to use a radio.

And while some of you may wish to comment on Rudy's decision, I suggest you take this up directly with him over on T&T.* You're not going to get any argument from me about the value and wisdom*of having and using a VHF.
-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 10th of February 2011 08:46:42 PM

HOLLYWOOD

Attached Images

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:05 AM   #42
FF
Guru

IN the ICW with no VHF , how would one call the USCG to phone the bridge tender to to wake him up?

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #43
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

fRED HE SAID HE SAILED WITHOUT vhf. He didn't say he sailed without a Kahlenburg horn and shotgun.
There are no requirements to have radar aboard. If it is aboard it MUST be used for collision avoidance.
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #44
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

This is the first time I've looked at this thread as I thought "who cares about horns" "just a bunch of guys drawing attention to themselves".
But the thread was a hoot untill Jeff threw up a bucket cold and serious stuff but it was (as someone else stated) very interesting. Anyway I read the whole post but I have a bit of cold water to throw in myself.
Don't you guys feel a bit guilty making your little boat sound like a monster ship? Great at the yacht club but in open water and limited visibility it would seem a joke would be out of place at best. I think the sound of one's horn should match the size of the boat. Well ..sorta.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:46 PM   #45
Scraping Paint

City: -
Horn fetish?

Quote:
Sailor of Fortune wrote:If it is aboard it MUST be used for collision avoidance.
This is where the controversy comes in.* The wording of the Colregs doesn't quite say this.* I don't know why whoever wrote this particular section was so vague.* When I asked the USCG folks I talked to some time ago exactly what was meant by--

Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight and hearing as well as by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.
--they said that you have to use all the means available to you that you deem are appropriate to use under those conditions.* By that interpretation, if you deem the use of radar is inappropriate (or not necessary or whatever) you don't have to use it.* You may be a fool, you may get run down, you will be found seriously at fault if there is an incident or accident, but according to the explanation I was given by these particular* people, nothing in the Colregs specifically says "You Have To Use Radar."

In my opinion as a person who writes as part of my job the problem is that word "appropriate" because it leaves it open to individual interpretation what's appropriate and what isn't.* It would have been far better, I think, if they had said "...all available means." and left it at that.

Even better would have been a statement clearly saying that if you have radar you have to use it either all the time or whenever the visibility is below minimums and then defined the minimums.* And defining minimums is not a rat's nest--- the Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs) define visibility minimums in simple, concise charts.* No reason the same thing couldn't be done for the marine world.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 11th of February 2011 01:54:51 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #46
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

But the thread was a hoot untill Jeff threw up a bucket cold and serious stuff but it was (as someone else stated) very interesting.
Hummm, I don't remember throwing up, much less a cold bucket. I think we better get to the bottom of this.* I know where you live, and I'm headed there soon.* It might take a bottle of single malt to get to the bottom of this.* (not too much though, I don't want to end up throwing up)..............Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #47
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Don't you guys feel a bit guilty making your little boat sound like a monster ship? Great at the yacht club but in open water and limited visibility it would seem a joke would be out of place at best. I think the sound of one's horn should match the size of the boat. Well ..sorta.
Boat/ship length determines frequencies and volumes.* What I don't want is a rinky-dink horn.* If not heard, one is just playing boats.*

*The 1972 Intemational Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea ('72 COLREGS), ANNEX III, entered into force by the International Maritime Organization (IMO), specifies the technical requirements for sound signal appliances on marine vessels. Frequency range and minimum decibel level output is specified for each class of ship. The class is determined by the vessel's length. Sound pressure level intensity at a distance of one meter from the horn is stipulated, which determines the theoretical range of the horn, although the actual range will, under many conditions, be much greater than this. This information is displayed in the following table:

<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="width:400px;"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#2266a7"><td align="center" valign="middle"><b class="white">Whistle Class[/b]
</td><td align="center" valign="middle"><b class="white">Length of Vessel in Meters[/b]
</td><td align="center" valign="middle"><b class="white">Limits of Fundamental Frequency[/b]
</td><td align="center" valign="middle"><b class="white">Minimum Sound Pressure Level Measured in 1/3 Octave Band at 1 Meter[/b]
</td><td align="center" valign="middle"><b class="white">Audibility Range in Nautical Miles[/b]
</td></tr><tr><td align="center">I</td><td align="center">> 200</td><td align="center">70-200 Hz</td><td align="center">143 dB</td><td align="center">2</td></tr><tr><td align="center">II</td><td align="center">75 -200</td><td align="center">130-350 Hz</td><td align="center">138 dB</td><td align="center">1.5</td></tr><tr><td align="center">III</td><td align="center">20 - 75</td><td align="center">250-700 Hz</td><td align="center">130 dB</td><td align="center">1</td></tr><tr><td align="center">IV</td><td align="center">< 20</td><td align="center">250-700 Hz</td><td align="center">120 dB</td><td align="center">0.5</td></tr></tbody></table>
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #48
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

The guys at Furuno said that if you want your radar to last .* USE IT.

They wear out quicker*through disuse.

Don't know if that applies to horns.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #49
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

AT,
It was on page four. When you told the story about the guy in the stern and the other boat came out of the fog******* ...........
Throwing up the bucket of stuff***** .....not up chucking!
Holy cow Mark. I had no idea. It just seemed to me that the boat should match the horn.
My horn is one of those little things that look like a reddi whip bottle. But up here we use horns about as much as Marin does. I have dual trumpet horns somewhere but it;s way down on the list.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #50
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

My horn is one of those little things that look like a reddi whip bottle. But up here we use horns about as much as Marin does. I have dual trumpet horns somewhere but it;s way down on the list.
Eric, perhaps I do have a horn fetish.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote