Old 05-12-2011, 08:32 PM   #21
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
RE: High Water Bilge Alarm

Simpler is always better! Less chance of a ****up. :-0 Now, let's see how the auto-editor deals with that!

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:35 AM   #22
FF
Guru

I'm not sure if my simple way is the way to go.........

Simple is ALWAYS the way to go.

For boats that basically don't leak, a simple alarm that operates with the bilge pump works fine.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 06:23 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Keith -- what caused your high water alarm to go off?

My insurer loves*our*highwater bilge alarms (4), as does AYBC.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:36 AM   #24
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41

It is easy enough to check for water in the bilges when tied to the dock, but it is another matter to do so when under way, especially if single handing. Richard Bertram have a nice arrangement: Each bilge pump has a red indicator light on the flybridge which tell the "driver" when the pump is running. A continuous red light could mean a flooding bilge or a stuck float-switch - investigation required in either event. A short red every now and then might be stern glands weeping or other - YMMV. There are hi-bilge alarms too. Worriers like me find this system very reassuring.
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #25
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:
Jay N wrote:
When I rewired the alarm systems, went with a two-tone siren (it's very loud)
*I"ve never subscribed to the "louder is better" school of thought (unless your talking about rock and roll, Ducati's, or F18's that is).* Most commercial boats I have run or been on that had loud alarms have had tape over them, or some other method of cutting down the ear splitting noise.* When ever I have installed an alarm system (other than a burgler alarm) I've simply used a piezo electric sounder of about 80db.* That's plenty loud enough, and will wake almost anyone (and I"m pretty deaf).* Once while my boat was stored in Ketchikan, the high water alarm went off, and was loud enough to be heard by someone walking by the boat. I got a call about it, but I was in Washington.* So I told him to simply ignore it, as I wasn't really worried.* Why?* The boat was on the hard, so it had to be rain water.*

The point is, even my little piezo sounder works fine, and if it does go off it doesn't scare the heck out of me, it simply notify's me to find the problem.* ..........Arctic Traveller
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:29 PM   #26

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:Jay N wrote:
When I rewired the alarm systems, went with a two-tone siren (it's very loud)
*I"ve never subscribed to the "louder is better" school of thought (unless your talking about rock and roll, Ducati's, or F18's that is).* Most commercial boats I have run or been on that had loud alarms have had tape over them, or some other method of cutting down the ear splitting noise.* When ever I have installed an alarm system (other than a burgler alarm) I've simply used a piezo electric sounder of about 80db.* That's plenty loud enough, and will wake almost anyone (and I"m pretty deaf).* Once while my boat was stored in Ketchikan, the high water alarm went off, and was loud enough to be heard by someone walking by the boat. I got a call about it, but I was in Washington.* So I told him to simply ignore it, as I wasn't really worried.* Why?* The boat was on the hard, so it had to be rain water.*

The point is, even my little piezo sounder works fine, and if it does go off it doesn't scare the heck out of me, it simply notify's me to find the problem.* ..........Arctic Traveller

*The two-tone alarm indicates fire or flooding, two good reasons to get the adrenalin flowing.* And it is loud*because of the desire to alert others at some distance from*the boat.* The alarm condition is acknowledged by turning off the noise,*red lights continue to indicate an alarm condition.

Many commercial boats have numerous similar sounding piezo single tone alarms, and it can be a*challenge to find the alarm that is actuated.* An alarm that is frequently engergized means that it is soon covered with tape, especially one that is difficult to cancel and continues to sound too frequently.

Even ships have a fire alarm bell/siren that is several order-of-magnitudes louder than less important alarm systems onboard.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #27
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

Quote:

*The two-tone alarm indicates fire or flooding, two good reasons to get the adrenalin flowing.* And it is loud*because of the desire to alert others at some distance from*the boat.* The alarm condition is acknowledged by turning off the noise,*red lights continue to indicate an alarm condition.

Many commercial boats have numerous similar sounding piezo single tone alarms, and it can be a*challenge to find the alarm that is actuated.* An alarm that is frequently engergized means that it is soon covered with tape, especially one that is difficult to cancel and continues to sound too frequently.

Even ships have a fire alarm bell/siren that is several order-of-magnitudes louder than less important alarm systems onboard.

*No disagreement about similar alarms, or frequently energized ones.* As for a fire alarm on a ship, I also agree loud is good.* My point is that on my small boat, a loud, heart stopping alarm is not needed to get my attention.* Should the flooding or rate of rise* heat detector go off, it has my full attention, despite being at a reasonable volume.* On the other hand, my burglar alarm is so loud both inside and outside the boat, it will clean the wax out of your ears.* Hopefully it caused hearing damage to the scum who broke into my boat last winter, but at a minimum it caused him to run prior to getting anything.......Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote