Old 04-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #1

Vessel Model: Currently Boatless
High Amp Alternator Suggestions

Hey all,
I’d love to put a 200 amp, twin belt marine alternator on my Cat 3406. I can fabricate the mount brackets if needed. I’m just looking for some good sources that some of you have found?
In doing my searches online, the prices tend to be very high.
Any suggestions on a source that is reasonable?
Many thanks,
Taras
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:20 PM   #2
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras View Post
Hey all,
I’d love to put a 200 amp, twin belt marine alternator on my Cat 3406. I can fabricate the mount brackets if needed. I’m just looking for some good sources that some of you have found?
Many thanks,
Taras
What size alternator do you have now?
You want to add a second alternator? I suspect you will need to change the battery charger etc but, I will yield to someone who knows something about this.
How many and what size are your batteries?
Old 04-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
For high amp alts it is hard to go past Leece Neville. I have 200A on each engine, and a spare that's still wrapped up, not been used in 6 years. We replaced the std John Deere alts, beefing up the mounts, but no belt change.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
For high amp alts it is hard to go past Leece Neville. I have 200A on each engine, and a spare that's still wrapped up, not been used in 6 years. We replaced the std John Deere alts, beefing up the mounts, but no belt change.

Excellent advise, I have also had great luck with LN alternators
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Quote:
Hey all,
Many thanks,
Taras
I have a 250A Zena with an external rectifier bridge. It's controlled with a Balmar 612. I duct outside air from a 250 cfm blower into the back of the alternator, it can run full field for hours and I've never seen it go over 100*C. I have the Balmar temp sensor installed. The Zena is basically a Leece-Neville on steroids. Mine's driven by an 8-ribbed serpentine belt on a Cummins 6BT. It has been a great addition, eliminating a chronic undercharge problem. My 1150 AH bank can go from 60% SoC to float in a typical day's cruise (~6 hrs or less). My underway 12V load is about 60A, so a 100A alternator just won't cut it! Not inexpensive at just over $1K, but it was worth the money. That's reasonable in my book.

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:59 PM   #6

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
An excellent read on tis subject:

https://mvdirona.com/2018/12/13-2-kw...rs-and-beyond/
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:09 AM   #7
FF
Guru

I suggest you google 50DN alternators.

These can be had from 200A 12V to 450A 24V either belt driven (flat belt for big output) or directly engine driven . Air or engine oil cooled.

Happily they have external regulators so are an easy install for a 3 or 4 stage Volt regulators.

They are the standard of the bus industry for many decades so great rebuilt units can be had with no core charge.

They ARE big and heavy.IF you are in FL , come on over and you can have a 220A 12V unit.

THe best deal on 135-140A HD alts is at the DD dealer , about $135 , plus the pulley of your choice.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I bought a back up alternator ... standard size for the AT's Cummins QSB 5.9. If something happens, it is just "cut and paste" quickly.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Very happy with my Leece Neville 220 amp alternator. Here is the setup I put together on my 4045 John Deere.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #10
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
If cost is a factor, I use GM CS-144 alternators. 140 amp stock and there are kits to rebuild or increase amperage. They're about $30 used or $100 new on ebay. Also 200 to 300 amp versions for about $300. They need either dual belts or serpentine. I have them on my Detroit mains and 2 generators plus and additional one modified for 48v.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #11
CMS

City: Casco Bay
Here's a 200A Externally Regulated J-180 Mount alternator for a reasonable price.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:34 PM   #12
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Hey all,

Many thanks,

Taras

If you don’t have room for large frame alternators, check these out. I have had good luck for over 5 years with these. I charge a 940 amp bank.
https://www.qualitypowerauto.com/cat...llet-Cases.htm
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:03 PM   #13

Vessel Model: Currently Boatless
Thanks for all the great suggestions thus far! Many of you suggested alts that did not come up on any of my searches, so I appreciate the help.
To answer the question, I will be replacing the stock 75 amp Cat alternator. I’ve got about 1000 AH of house bank I’m trying to charge with a high amp alternator replacement, thus the 200Amp I’m thinking of purchasing. I’m obviously trying to reduce my Gen set run time while cruising. I really appreciate the knowledge here��
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #14

City: PNW
At 200 amps, I would only get a large frame alternator.
Stabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #15
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
I'm using an externally regulated Ample Power small frame 130 amp marine unit on one engine because a large case Balmar unit wouldn't fit. But I have a related question... I attempted to dump the output of the 65 amp alternator on the second engine into the house bank and then add a Blue Sea device to dribble power into the start bank...or maybe it was the other way around. Anyway, the old internally regulated alternator kept blocking/shutting down the 130 amp externally regulated unit (also shutting off the rpm reading on that engine). So I abandoned that architecture and have the 130 unit on the house bank and the 65 on the starts. I'd like to put another 130 on the second engine and combine the output to the house bank, or alternatively, run the genset to add the battery charger to the existing 130's output into the house bank. How do I implement this while still keeping the engine rpm output signal alive?
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:23 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Rufus
Use a Balmar 612 or 614 to regulate both alternators.

Connect output to your house bank. Add a Blue Seas ACR to connect the start bats into the charge circuit.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:28 PM   #17
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I'm using an externally regulated Ample Power small frame 130 amp marine unit on one engine because a large case Balmar unit wouldn't fit. But I have a related question... I attempted to dump the output of the 65 amp alternator on the second engine into the house bank and then add a Blue Sea device to dribble power into the start bank...or maybe it was the other way around. Anyway, the old internally regulated alternator kept blocking/shutting down the 130 amp externally regulated unit (also shutting off the rpm reading on that engine). So I abandoned that architecture and have the 130 unit on the house bank and the 65 on the starts. I'd like to put another 130 on the second engine and combine the output to the house bank, or alternatively, run the genset to add the battery charger to the existing 130's output into the house bank. How do I implement this while still keeping the engine rpm output signal alive?
I had the same tech issue when my alternators cycled off on high temp. I fixed the tech issue by switching to magnetic pickups and taking the alternators out of the circuit. My engines are 6BT Cummins.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
I had the same tech issue when my alternators cycled off on high temp. I fixed the tech issue by switching to magnetic pickups and taking the alternators out of the circuit. My engines are 6BT Cummins.
Thanks, Gents. I'll check out the dual Balmar regulator mentioned above but am also interested in magnetic pickups. Where to purchase them and if they're easy to wire into the tach circuits. I'm sure they'd be more accurate than the signals off the alternators.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #19
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
I use a 612 dual to control a 250A and 140A alternator on the same engine. Yep, overkill. The 140 is disabled. The 250A does a splendid job on my 1150AH AGM bank. Usually floating in about 4 hrs on a typical run. That's starting off about 350AH down. The big frame has an 8 rib serpentine pulley, it can crank at nearly full field for hours and not get over about 95C.

I'd make sure you have temp monitoring on the alternator, I have a 250cfm blower that blows outdoor ambient air into the rear of the alternators & the battery enclosure. They create a whole bunch of heat at that amperage, anticipate that you may have to handle it. My ER runs hot anyway, so I need to deal with it or I can see ER temps in the 140F range.

Love that big alternator!!

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 07:56 PM   #20
Guru

I'm pre-planning for a round trip on Trent-Severn/Rideau canals to Ottawa in 2020. My lead acid house bank is only 660 amps. Maybe the 130A alternator is enough??? The only significant load is the fridge....maybe the auto pilot...the occasional flush. Lots of time at low rpm, though... I can run the genset when off grid, although would prefer not to. Hmmm.