Help with Standard Horizon GX2100 and and fog/pa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhance

Vessel Name
Audrey Grace
Vessel Make
2003 Camano 31
Help with Standard Horizon GX2100 AIS and fog/pa

1. My AIS stopped working I assume as a result of the message displayed: "pos position is not update." It beeps this message after about 10 minutes after powering unit on.

2. Fog/pa function not working. When I press the key it just beeps and takes me back to the main screen. Can't get into any of the fog/pa menus.

Any help appreciated!

Last edited:
Could something have pulled on the backside of your radio dislodging the GPS antenna and hailer wires?

If the antenna wire and the speaker wires are still connected, it sounds like an internal fault. I'd give Standard a call at (800)767-2450 and see if they can diagnose the problem over the phone. If not, get an RMA from them and send it back. Their warranty policy states:

"Because the MATRIX AIS is built better, it’s back better. If your Standard Horizon MATRIX AIS ever fails for any reason including water damage during normal use in the first three years, STANDARD HORIZON will repair or replace it free, without hassle or charges…period! If it fails thereafter in normal use it for the life time of the product it is covered by Standard Horizon’s Lifetime Flat Rate Service and Customer Loyalty Programs."

If the data connections are intact check the menu settings for AIS on the radio and the plotter. Something may of gotten changed accidentally, I had this happen once on the plotter menu.

All connections are secure in the back of the unit. The message is actually "POS date is not update." Called manufacturer and he said unit is not receiving GPS. GPS is working for chart plotter though. He had me to a reset of the unit so at least now the fog/pa is working. Still investigating the AIS issue...

All connections are secure in the back of the unit. The message is actually "POS date is not update." Called manufacturer and he said unit is not receiving GPS. GPS is working for chart plotter though. He had me to a reset of the unit so at least now the fog/pa is working. Still investigating the AIS issue...

What is the brand and model of your GPS plotter? You will next have to verify the NMEA 0183 output settings on the plotter and the physical connections to your GX2100.

BTW, did you check the installation and setup instructions in your GX2100 owner's manual?

Attachments

• Wiring.JPG
    Wiring.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 109
  • GPS Connection.JPG
    GPS Connection.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Checking.JPG
    Checking.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Troubleshooting.JPG
    Troubleshooting.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 71
What is the brand and model of your GPS plotter? You will next have to verify the NMEA 0183 output settings on the plotter and the physical connections to your GX2100.

BTW, did you check the installation and setup instructions in your GX2100 owner's manual?

Thanks Larry. I don't have any loose connections, NMEA output is ON on chart plotter... I'm at a loss. I have the Raymarine RL70C Pathfinder Plus. I didn't see any settings for the "NMEA 0183" on my plotter. Side note, I did a factory reset of the GX2100, per manufacturer recommendation, but the problem was occurring before the reset. I'm just not getting GPS to the GX2100. No satellite icon (or even a flashing icon).

Thanks Larry. I don't have any loose connections, NMEA output is ON on chart plotter... I'm at a loss. I have the Raymarine RL70C Pathfinder Plus. I didn't see any settings for the "NMEA 0183" on my plotter. Side note, I did a factory reset of the GX2100, per manufacturer recommendation, but the problem was occurring before the reset. I'm just not getting GPS to the GX2100. No satellite icon (or even a flashing icon).

A Google search brought up this thread on SailNet. It sounds like it could be iffy.

Best of luck to you:thumb:

I had a technician at the yard look at this problem. He could not figure it out. The unit just doesn't see the GPS signal even though he verified the signal was good up to the VHF unit. No satellite icon and no AIS data. "POS date is not update." He even called SH with no luck. He said at this point I'd just have to send it in to them. maybe a solder connection inside the radio came off... who knows. It was working fine for many years - then suddenly not.

Good luck with repairing it, I've always had excellent tech support from SH on their gear.

Back
Top Bottom