Heart Pacemakers and boat electronics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kolive

Guru
This summer we are planning to have a guest on board that wears a heart pacemaker. Are there any electronics on board that we should know about that could interfere with a pacemaker? I am pretty ignorant about this and hope others can give me some useful info on this topic. I do not want to wait till the last minute to find out something on board could cause a major problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
This summer we are planning to have a guest on board that wears a heart pacemaker. Are there any electronics on board that we should know about that could interfere with a pacemaker? I am pretty ignorant about this and hope others can give me some useful info on this topic. I do not want to wait till the
Ask minute to find out something on board could cause a major problem.

I guess it depends.. if you don't really care for him just keep having him microwave your coffee and bringing it to you while you stand on the bow with the radar cranked up to the max.
:eek:
On the serious side the piece of electronics that wreaks the most havoc with all the other electronics is the SSB when transmitting. I fried a smartphone once during a long conversation on SSB. And the phone was 15' away from the antenna and coupler.

HOLLYWOOD

Hollywood.......nice. No ssb or microwave on board, so no James Bond style guest removal for the moment. ?

I think there have been a few changes through the years on pacemaker guidance and so many different designs that people call pacemakers.

Your guest should know and if not should check with his doc and manufacturer.....

I think there have been a few changes through the years on pacemaker guidance and so many different designs that people call pacemakers.

Your guest should know and if not should check with his doc and manufacturer.....

That would be the wisest course of action. I don't think there would be an issue, but best to confirm.

I was curious too found this link:
Devices that may Interfere with Pacemakers

My 91 year old Mother has had a pacemaker for years ad uses the microwave oven often, no problem.
As suggested check with Doc. or pacemaker manufacturer.

Steve and everyone that posted. Thanks for the input and the link. I have forwarded this to my friend and we'll find out if there is anything to be concerned about with anything we have on our boat.

Only thing I am familiar with that I've been told can interfere with a pacemaker is a welding machine. Found that out when a friend whom is a retired welder with his own shop equipment asked me to weld up the frame on a new hot rod he is building. His Dr recommended he not be near welding activity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom