Old 08-14-2016, 04:29 AM   #1
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Has anyone ever cut off and replaced the end of their power cord?

I noticed I have a couple of spare 30 amp power cords for the boat. The female ends of these cords show signs of heat, as in the rubber area around the prongs are discolored and show signs of heat. I was wondering if anyone has cut off the plug and put on a new one. Obviously the new one must be water tight...just wondering is all. Hate to throw a real nice cord away.
Thanks

Old 08-14-2016, 05:52 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I took a 50' cord and made it into a 20' and a 30'. In the process I replaced all the outer end covers also. It's not difficult to do. You need to shop around a bit to find decent prices on the covers and if you're changing an end. While you have it open, check to see if you have corrosion on the conductors and if so, shorten the cord to remove it.

Fairly easy to do and these look like they were done at the factory.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1742.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	55226

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:17 AM   #3
Guru

I thought that would work, thanks for the conformation
Old 08-14-2016, 06:29 AM   #4
FF
Guru

Depending on the quality of the power hose parts many can simply be removed and replaced .

Hubbel is not welded in place and many a foot of wire has been cut off to expose new wire after a sea water dunk.
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:30 AM   #5
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
If a female cord end looks bad chances are the male connection on the boat should also be changed...also not hard to do.

At a minimum I'd pull it out... inspect and tighten all connections.

Make it a practice to never disconnect under load.
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:43 AM   #6
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Defender has a whole category of "shore power cord parts".

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:53 AM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. r. "Defender has a whole category of "shore power cord parts". I'm sure Mr. Hopcar can supply you with whatever you need to replace the plug ends AND you will be supporting a fellow TF member and I suspect at a very attractive price.

I've replaced plug ends as described above. Quite easy.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:03 AM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I just mangled the male end of my power cord. Again. This time even one of the metal connectors was missing. Every now and then I untie the mooring lines and back out w/o thinking about the power cord. Too many years of running smaller boats w/o power cords I guess.

I bought the connectors (plastic sleeve and connector) but found a spare cord on board in a locker. Put on the spare cord. Later the next night I found another cord in the garage. This one has all the little black plastic sleeves in place so I swapped out the cord again. Both the extra cords work fine electrically.

Seems a thread popping up just when your'e dealing w the issue occurs more often than odds would have it. Of course that would happen more often for someone having a lot of problems ...hmmmm.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I just mangled the male end of my power cord. Again. This time even one of the metal connectors was missing. Every now and then I untie the mooring lines and back out w/o thinking about the power cord. Too many years of running smaller boats w/o power cords I guess.
Might be time for a departure check list.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Langley BC
Vessel Name: Shalady
Vessel Model: 1981 Cheerman 38 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
If a female cord end looks bad chances are the male connection on the boat should also be changed...also not hard to do.

At a minimum I'd pull it out... inspect and tighten all connections.

Make it a practice to never disconnect under load.
Bacchus is 100% on the right track. You don't need to just change the discolored connector, you need to resolve the problem that caused it, which was too many amps going thru one or all of the terminals or connections at one of the plugs. High amperage draw is caused by corrosion, broken wire strands or loose connections. The wires and the recepatcles they fit into must be CLEAN. If they are corroded or rusty cut back the wire untill you find clean stuff. Clean the inside and outside of all the terminals with commercial battery cleaner or a mixture of baking soda and water. Stip back just enough of the jacket to fit all the wire into the receptacle, twist it carefully to keep all the strands together, apply a good amount of dielectric grease to the bare wire, put it in the receptacle and tighten it securely. Apply dielectric grease to the external terminals of yourr shore power cord and the recepatacle on your boat and you will never have a problem with overheated plugs again. Apply dielectric grease to the connectors on you trailer and your vehicle and you likely won't have to chase brake or signal lights that don't work next time you hook your trailer up.
stanfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:01 AM   #11

City: New England to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
If the female end of the cord is damaged, then the hull inlet is also. Both fittings must be replaced. Here on the east cost there have been a number of marina and or boat fires directly attributed to overheated power code end fittings. During a recent heat wave we were at a dock and it only offers 30 amps of service so we were living on one cord. That is doable if you practice load management. We have lived aboard now 8 summers and winters. We check the hull inlet temperature about once a week and had noticed it was climbing. A month ago we fond that our hull inlet was running 30 degrees above ambient! I replaced the Marinco hull inlet and the new one was still running 19 degrees above ambient. that is just too hot to be safe. I switched to a whole different inlet and cord end called Smart Plug. With the same loads, we are only seeing a 3-4 degree temperature rise above ambient. If you are facing the need to replace the hull inlet, I would strongly recommend that you use the Smart Plug inlet and cord end. We have two cords. I only switched one over as it is the primary cord. At the first of next year the Smart Plug will roll out cord set with a 90 degree plug at the hull inlet end. I'm waiting for that cord set before I switch out my second Marinco 30 amp inlet. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ng%20along.pdf
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #12
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post

A checklist, a sticky note, something might be a good idea. On my sailboat I started to hang the ignition key over the seacock for the raw water intake after I once started it up and left my slip without opening it.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:13 AM   #13
Guru

Another plug for the Smart Plug. I switched my sailboat over and it was a big improvement. I have yet to do it on my new boat since it has a 50amp/120v plug.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #14

On my sailboat I started to hang the ignition key over the seacock for the raw water intake after I once started it up and left my slip without opening it.[/QUOTE]

That is what I do too. I keep all sea cocks closed if not in use, and if we are in a slip for up to a week, then the engine sea cock is shut and the key is on the handle. In addition to the obvious safety issue with leaving unused sea cock in the open position, this also forces one to operate the sea cock regularly. Seacocks that are regularly exercised are less likely to get stuck. An additional benefit of closing the sea cock is that it prevents barnacles and other biologic growth in the sea strainer and the hoses. If the sea cock is closed, the water in the system goes anoxic and nothing can live.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:52 PM   #15

City: Alabama
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Another plug for the Smart Plug. I switched my sailboat over and it was a big improvement. I have yet to do it on my new boat since it has a 50amp/120v plug.
Can you buy just the smart plug repair ends for an existing cable? If so where?
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:01 PM   #16
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Don't be too quick to change a regular 50 amp plug for a smart plug..50 A plugs are pretry roust compared to the 30A regulars.

The most commonn issue with the 50s I have seen is broken dock pedestal outlets from heavy duty cords yanking on them from improperly strung out cords.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. r. "Defender has a whole category of "shore power cord parts". I'm sure Mr. Hopcar can supply you with whatever you need to replace the plug ends AND you will be supporting a fellow TF member and I suspect at a very attractive price.

I've replaced plug ends as described above. Quite easy.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Jon View Post
Can you buy just the smart plug repair ends for an existing cable? If so where?

Yes, that is what I did. I can't recall where I got them at the time but they should be easy to find.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Don't be too quick to change a regular 50 amp plug for a smart plug..50 A plugs are pretry roust compared to the 30A regulars.

The most commonn issue with the 50s I have seen is broken dock pedestal outlets from heavy duty cords yanking on them from improperly strung out cords.

I haven't change out the plugs yet primarily because I haven't figured out what I want to do. Basically, I don't understand the 50amp/120 plugs. A good question for another thread.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #20

In my experience the 50 amp cord ends are able to handle the amperage. I have only seen one 50 amp inlet burn up in many years running marinas. But I sure ave seen a lot of 30 amp connections smoke. The 30 amp cable ends and inlet are not able to carry a full load for long. It is easy to get a new Smart Plug cord end, but it requires a new hull inlet too. A bit of $$ outlay. However the downside of a fire in your hull inlet is even more $$.