Old 08-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #81
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. f. Extensive training and state/federal certification is no guarantee of safe, quality work. There are numerous thread on TF chronicling shoddy, overpriced work done be "certified" professionals. To suggest someone cannot do their own plumbing, engine work, electrical work or what ever simply because they lack the "qualifications" is simply foolish.
That being said, yes, there ARE those who shouldn't be left alone with tools at any time.
I have done my own repairs on both our boats and our houses BUT I know enough to know when to call in the "professionals" even though they are few and far between.
As far as changing out the power cord ends. Yup. Been there, done that.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:10 PM   #82
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Wonder if you feel the same way about people being allowed to operate their boat without ever passing an extensive USCG test (3+ hours) to demonstrate they have learned the laws regarding the safe operation and compliance requirements of their vessel.

Ted
I presume most boat drivers are ignorant, but it is amazing that almost all avoid colliding with me.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #83

City: Ashland
Answer to O C Diver:

No I do not. I do strongly recommend that anybody who purchases a boat, at a minimum, take Coast Guard Auxiliary or Power Squadron basic courses. I also do not agree with the out of control licensing of soooo many things by states. Hair dressers, painters and the list goes on. People should be able to such things without the government involvement. But there are professions/trades that should be licensed.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 06:33 PM   #84
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Answer to O C Diver:

No I do not. I do strongly recommend that anybody who purchases a boat, at a minimum, take Coast Guard Auxiliary or Power Squadron basic courses. I also do not agree with the out of control licensing of soooo many things by states. Hair dressers, painters and the list goes on. People should be able to such things without the government involvement. But there are professions/trades that should be licensed.
Maybe were not on the same page. If you're paying someone to work on your wiring, I think licensing is reasonable as the homeowner likely has no idea if the contractor is doing it correctly or not.

If you're working on your own house, that's different. Replacing a light switch, a wall receptacle, a ceiling light, a breaker in a panel, or a bathroom fan isn't rocket science. Maybe most people can't install a sub panel and wire a garage for lights and outlets, but that shouldn't prevent those of us who can and have, from doing it for ourselves.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:09 PM   #85
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Maybe were not on the same page. If you're paying someone to work on your wiring, I think licensing is reasonable as the homeowner likely has no idea if the contractor is doing it correctly or not.

If you're working on your own house, that's different. Replacing a light switch, a wall receptacle, a ceiling light, a breaker in a panel, or a bathroom fan isn't rocket science. Maybe most people can't install a sub panel and wire a garage for lights and outlets, but that shouldn't prevent those of us who can and have, from doing it for ourselves.

Ted

Wiring a whole house us one thing, adding or repairing a circuit, with any of the bazillion home repair books out there is certainly within the limits of the average homeowner handyman.

Doing things right or sloppy ..... neither one is the guaranteed trait of a homeowner, or tradesman.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

Doing things right or sloppy ..... neither one is the guaranteed trait of a homeowner, or tradesman.

That may well be. Although the odds are that the tradesman will do it right the first time.

I was in a Home Depot several years ago when a presumed home owner approached a sales clerk in the electrical section for advise for an outlet he was going to add in his home. Mainly, the discussion was around the wire to be used. The sales person showed the home owner a piece of 14-2 romex suggesting that it was the needed wire for his task.

I remember clearly the home owner's response! "WOW!!! That is for heavy duty wiring!"
Old 08-23-2016, 09:43 PM   #87

I do not have any argument against folks changing an outlet, switch or simple things as long as they have some respect for the risks involved. Heck, I do my own plumbing repairs including adding additional pipes when I needed to. At least the person should do a little research for the task before doing anything.

The comparison I made pertaining to all the training and hands on experience prior to even being allowed to take the examination to become an electrician was made primarily to illustrate the inconsistency of allowing a home owner to wire his entire home with zero wiring knowledge. I consider that to be a foolish exemption.

Nobody can own their home forever....................unfortunately.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:43 AM   #88

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
A family and friends up the street from me died when fire broke out from inside the walls at 2:00 AM. The dad who wired the renovation was not home and survived. Be careful out there.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #89
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
I know (knew) an electrician who electrocuted himself. "Familiarity breeds contempt."
I had a friend who electrocuted himself trying to fix a clothes dryer on a 4th of July weekend when he couldn't get a repair person. I had a neighbor who electrocuted himself trying to install an attic fan.

Perhaps I'm a wuss, but I don't do anything electrical myself. Well, maybe just sometimes.
hmason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:56 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike66 View Post
A family and friends up the street from me died when fire broke out from inside the walls at 2:00 AM. The dad who wired the renovation was not home and survived. Be careful out there.

If his work resulted in the fire, I don't envy how he must feel. There are some who just will not take advice, do things without understanding the life threatening risks. Terrible accident, I sincerely wish him the best.