Old 12-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Handheld Spotlights -am I being too greedy?

Hello Sailors

One think that I have been reluctant to buy so far is the Spotlight.

The fixed ones with remote controls are way too expensive to justify.
My question here is if the handheld rechargeable ones are not as good. The only problem I see is that I will have to go outside to point the thing in the right direction.

Between hundreds and tens of dollars, that is a sustainable sacrifice.

Is my thinking correct or am I being too greedy?

Thanks for your ideas.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
Hello Sailors One think that I have been reluctant to buy so far is the Spotlight. The fixed ones with remote controls are way too expensive to justify. My question here is if the handheld rechargeable ones are not as good. The only problem I see is that I will have to go outside to point the thing in the right direction. Between hundreds and tens of dollars, that is a sustainable sacrifice. Is my thinking correct or am I being too greedy? Thanks for your ideas.
Go with a remote one but mount it where it's in sight from the PH so you no where your beam of light is going. Our Guest broke and we replaced it with an Marinco wireless one so no running wires. http://www.starmarinedepot.com/marin...FUho7Aod2mIAqg

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I have owned many hand held spotlights over the last 20 0r so years. I bought one of these last year by far the best one yet. Lithium batteries and led bulb it is very powerful and with all the advantages of both features. This model is about $50.00
Stanley 10 Watt Lithium ION Spotlight - Walmart.com
Old 12-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Go to the recycle marine stores, they always have the remotes taken off somebody's boat and unless you go for carbon arc, you should find a reasonable example for a reasonable price and get what you want.

I have a roof-mounted one and am about to find a way to lose the giant bulb and get an LED replacement.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
When I bought my boat, there were two Guest spots lights, one on the roof and the other on the bow rail. Only one would actually light and neither would pivot. I haven't replaced them yet but I'm not going with another Guest brand. I like the automatic features of the Marinco, especially the auto sweep, pan and SOS, but the truth is that I can put a hand held light on a dark object a lot quicker by compensating for boat movement, and that's why I have one of them too. For what I use a light for most of the time, the hand-held works best and it's cheap service.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #6

City: Brisbane
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Not a hand held spotlight in the traditional sense but have you looked at any of the CREE torches.

I bought a T5 the other day online, takes 3 AAA batteries and fits in the palm of my hand and it was delivered to my door for $3.74.

I was truly amazed at how bright it beams out, and this is the baby of the CREE range.
I imagine if I spent $20 on one it would probably melt metal at 500 metres.

skip forward to 45 seconds for outside

Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #7

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I have three friends with the permanent lights and they are difficult to aim and hold in place. I have a hand held and it works great. In our area we use it for small unlighted buoys and crab pot markers that are very small and cannot be seen until you are almost on top of them. the permanent light is just too difficult to aim in that situation.
John
MS390
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #8

City: Palmetto Bay
Vessel Name: Sunshine
Vessel Model: Island Pilot DSe 12m Hybrid
If you are actually planning on night navigation, then a fixed, remote spot is worth the price.

I like the ones with 4 buttons to operate - up/down & left/right. The reason : in the ICW, day marks tend to be the same height off the water. Once you set the elevation, then sweeping left and right is easily and quickly done.

I like now mounting - this avoids light pollution in the foredeck from the spot. If you're planning on mounting on coach roof , make sure light doesn't spill onto the foredeck.

Doing the ICW is a two person job. Lookout manning the spot and helms person watching radar/otter while steering. Forget about stepping outside every now and then to use a handheld. One collision pYs the additional cost.

If only occasional use , then handheld may be OK. Best to have both.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Thanks for that informed opinion, Reubin. I've never traveled the ICW in total darkness and your tip of setting the elevation for markers is a darned good reason for the extra cost. It makes me wonder if you cross paths with others doing the same in the opposite direction, ....must be a lot of glare.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
Guru

City: Tampa
It's hard to put a price tag on your safety.
IMHO, I would suggest that you splurge and get both. They both have their uses, and in the right situations, you won't regret having either one.

If it doesn't have one, add a shield to the lower portion below the light to reduce glare.

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
It's not something I like to do, but have run the ICW at night. A good search light can light up the reflectors on the daymarks quite brightly. In fact, they can be easier to see than if backlit in daylight. The 4 second lights mark the usually straight channel, and the quick flashing lights alert you to a change in the channel. Of course there is much more, but after a few times it becomes kind of routine. How about a search light that swivels on a handle through the pilot house roof? They work well, and are more intuitive.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #12

I am a duck hunter. Which means I am heading out or coming in from the swamps and creeks off of the Tennessee river in the dark. Often times it's raining/snowing or If I am lucky it's just foggy. This has lead me on a quest to find the very best spot light. I have gone thru lots of them. By far the best manufacture is magnalight. http://www.magnalight.com. They carry any configuration of a spot light you can dream of. My personal favorite is the handheld light below. It can be plugged into a cig lighter or if you call them they will make the cord so that you can attach it directly to your battery. I am not a fan of rechargeable lights. The run time is never as long as they state. To operate the light remotely I bought a rechargeable battery from batteries plus that is 3x5x4 and attached a 15 ft cord to it. Run time 2 hrs projected. If it dies I pop the clips of and attach the cig. plug and plug into the cig outlet which is attached to the boat battery. This is the only light that has made it thru 3 seasons. Ever light prior lasted only one season. It also is the brightest light I have found. They now make a 15 million candle power light which is 3 times my light. This light comes with threads in the handle so you can attach it to anything you wish or not.

Trust me you want a good light when when you are in a 16 ft go devil boat, its raining and you are trying to find the next marker up river or a way out of the swamp. If you have never seen the tank of boats check this out. www.godevil.com. Be sure to click on some of the videos.

http://www.magnalight.com/pc-147-64-...s-16-cord.aspx
Roll Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I run the NJ ICW at night at 20+ knots.. have for 11 years as an assistance tower and multiple times as a delivery capt as well as a pleasure boater....the NJ ICW makes the Norfolk to Miami run seem like a flight in outer space for the width and depth. comparison

I love the fixed mount manual, there are many here's but one...
PERKO Inc. - Searchlights - Pilot House Control Searchlight

A bit easier to control than the remote types and more powerful by a longshot over handhelds...makes my job a lot easier...

Expensive but worth it if you have the money...if you don't a handheld that can be fixed in place is the next best thing...the remotes are nice but not worth the money for what they "can't" do...and that is react fast enough for where you need them.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #14
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post

I love the fixed mount manual, there are many here's but one...
PERKO Inc. - Searchlights - Pilot House Control Searchlight

A bit easier to control than the remote types and more powerful by a longshot over handhelds...makes my job a lot easier...
That's it. Exactly what I was talking about. If I had a pilot house cruiser it is exactly what I would want.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #15
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I've used the million (or 2 million, depends on what's on sale) rechargeables for years and love 'em. The advantage they have over a fixed mount rotating light is that you can shine them to the stern if need be.

I found the fixed mount to be a PITA to use and then when you find your target, your boat moves and you have to take your eyes off the target and realign the light.

With the hand held it's as simple as pointing your finger.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
One should have both. A handheld light isn't effective unless one is outside or points it through an open door/whatever.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:51 AM   #17
Master and Commander

Place your searchlight control so there is ready access for the lookout and the helmsman can focus on navigation/steering.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:39 AM   #18
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Go with a remote one but mount it where it's in sight from the PH so you no where your beam of light is going. ...
I say it should be out of sight for concern of hurting one's night vision. One can determine where the beam is going by looking at the beam's target, not the light fixture.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #19
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
I've used the million (or 2 million, depends on what's on sale) rechargeables for years and love 'em. The advantage they have over a fixed mount rotating light is that you can shine them to the stern if need be.

I found the fixed mount to be a PITA to use and then when you find your target, your boat moves and you have to take your eyes off the target and realign the light.

With the hand held it's as simple as pointing your finger.
While I agree that handhelds are usually much more versiitile...it does require your arm be outside in the cold, hot, rain, etc..etc...

It really depends on the kind of boating you do....occasionally running at night or mostly in open water and you hardly need one at all...run places like the NJ intracoastal at night regularly and you'll want something that's left on for stretches longer than you want to hold one but much quicker and more accurate to use than a remote.

In my experience remote types just don't respond quick enough if your boat is rocking/pitching, turning....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #20
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Where there are very few other boats around at night, using a powerful spot light makes sense.

However it is not fun to be pinpointed by some bozo at night with the 20 million candle power sub atomic reflector that effectively leaves you blind as a bat, while they try to pinpoint the mooring next to you. On behalf of us bats please use sparingly.

Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote