Old 12-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #21
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Guns onboard outside the 2 mile line?

Shrimp asked "I quite understand the need for protection in the wild & wooly parts of the world but am intrigued as to how many of the forum members would consider carrying guns on their boats in their normal cruising grounds."

My cruising has been in the Gulf of Mexico and East Coast I*have a firearm on the boat when I am overnight cruising and keep one in my car too, for that matter. I do have a concealed carry permit, and have kept it up for the last 15 years.
Would not bring one overseas.
Steve W

-- Edited by Steve on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 03:32:22 PM

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #22
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Many live aboard have guns on their boat.We bought the hand guns right after 911 like many dirt people.*I think there is a difference between hand guns and rifles, but I may be wrong when going into Canada?* If there is we will have freinds/relative buy them for us.**********

So how does guns fit under Electronics/Navigation?*

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 04:25:44 PM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 04:28:18 PM

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
RE: Guns onboard outside the 2 mile line?

Hiya,
** Careful Phil/Fill if you have friends in Canada buy you a gun and you get caught without the proper documentaion you're goin' to jail.* Look under Borrowed Weapons...
http://www.consular.canada.usembassy...nto_canada.asp
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

If you carry a weapon on a boat you should be prepared to use it.* Sir Peter Blake was killed in 2001 in Brazil when his rifle jammed during an on board robbery.* The robbers left with a 15hp outboard.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Santiago, Colima, MX
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** Don't use it in Canada or you'll end up in the slammer.* Look it up.
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #26
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

shrimp:
We live in a civilized part of Coquitlam, one of the eastern suburbs of Vancouver, and regularly have bears around our house, looking for garbage. So it is not unusual to also see them when we go cruising. The locals are all black bears, vegetarians, and generally more afraid of us than we are of them.
You need to go north of Cape Caution to find any Grizzlies, who are not vegetarians. They call that part of the coast the "Great Bear Rain Forest". I have seen several GBs, although I haven't spent much time in their habitat, so I get the impression of sufficient numbers that your likelihood of an encounter is high.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #27
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:

Many live aboard have guns on their boat.We bought the hand guns right after 911 like many dirt people.*I think there is a difference between hand guns and rifles, but I may be wrong when going into Canada?* If there is we will have freinds/relative buy them for us.**********

So how does guns fit under Electronics/Navigation?*

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 04:25:44 PM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 04:28:18 PM
RTF thanks for the site.* I thought I said there is a difference between rifles and hand guns.* My dad and I several times went hunting and fishing in Canada and brought rifles across, but that was 20+ years ago, so I was not sure.* If we are going to borrow I will buy a $30 permit.*

When ever I cross a border and/or security I get pulled over and check.* Last time I*cross into Canada*I was detained for about an hour and coming back in another hour.* The reason is*I do not fit a profile.**So when crossing boarder or security*I am squeaky clean as you never know where they are going to check?*******

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 09:36:19 PM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 09:37:12 PM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Wednesday 8th of December 2010 09:49:45 PM
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:15 PM   #28
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

Thanks for the bear update, my no3 son, Dom, is flying out to Canada on Monday to work for awhile, a gap year after finishing high school. Wants to work a ski season in Alberta, I will tell him to keep an eye out for a bear and send me a picture, maybee I should buy him a telescopic lens for his camera, just to be on the safe side.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
koliver wrote:

The locals are all black bears, vegetarians, and generally more afraid of us than we are of them.
Black bears are not vegetarians.* Much of their diet*consists of eating*berries, roots, etc. but they actively catch salmon and will eat moose, deer, and plenty of other meat including human.* There are cases recorded in Alaska where a black bear has stalked, killed, and eaten a human.* We just recently had a case here in Washington where a black bear attacked a Seattle City Councilman outside his family's vacation home in eastern Washington.

Anyone who thinks black bears are relatively harmless vegetarians*is asking for trouble if they act on that assumption around a black bear.* Also, because of their habitat black bears come in contact with humans far more often than grizzlies/brown bears.* As a result black bears often have little fear of humans and will readily attack.* Several friends of mine have had extremely aggressive encounters with black bears over the years, some in BC and a couple in what could be considered the suburbs of the Seattle area.* We ourselves have had encouters with black bears on our*floatplane*and camping trips*that were far more potentially dangerous than all our encounters with grizzlies (with a couple of exceptions).

A ranger we met in the 1970s in McKinnley National Park in Alaska told us (after we'd had an encounter with a grizzly) that he'd recently transferred to Alaska from Yellowstone Park and he would much rather deal with grizzlies, which are generally very leery of people, than black bears, which he said in his experience at Yellowstone are genearlly not at all intimidated by people.

We treat all bears with the same respect--- any one of them, black, brown, or grizzley can turn on you in*a second and make a mess of your day.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Those bears could be terrorists in fuzzy suits ...

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:45 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
RickB wrote:

Those bears could be terrorists in fuzzy suits ...

LOL. Das ist gut.

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Quote:
koliver wrote:

The locals are all black bears, vegetarians, and generally more afraid of us than we are of them.
You need to go north of Cape Caution to find any Grizzlies,
Just to add to what Marin posted - Grizzlies are found at the heads of all major mainland inlets north of Vancouver. *Very rare to see one around at the head of Howe Sound, but it does happen. There was one spotted near Squamish in 2007.

How can you tell if a bear approaching you is a black or a grizzly? - Climb a tree. If it climbs the tree after you, it's a black bear. If it stops and rips the tree out by the roots it's a grizzly.

How can you distinguish between black and grizzly scats? - Black bear scats will be composed mostly of vegetable matter - mainly fibrous roots and berries in season. Grizzly scats will have bear bells embedded in them.

Sorry, biologist humour....
Sisuitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Palm Coast, Florida
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler

I live in Florida and mu CWP provides for reciprocal agreements with 37 other States. The list is available on MYFLORIDA>COM. I have often taken weapons into Bahamas without any problem, all they want you to do is declare the number of rounds you brought and make sure it's the same number you leave with.

Flatsflyer is offline   Reply With Quote