-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 2nd of November 2011 02:35:28 PM

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
RE: Gratuitous horn blowing

This is giving me a hankering to go up the Napa River so to practice my prolonged and short "toot-toot" combination.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back in water2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	8244  

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #23
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

I think the occasional sound of a horn over the water adds to the nice nautical ambiance of most marinas. Not at 2 am which I'm sure none of us would do.
Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #24

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37

Quote:
Edelweiss wrote:
When I use my horn:

5. When the ladies on the boat moored in front of you, decide to unfasten their bikini tops to avoid those nasty tan lines*while sunbathing!**
*Actually did this once a long time ago.* Came up to the pilothouse from being back aft, and obseved a bikini clad lady on the foredeck with the bikini top strings unattached.* A quick toot on my very loud horn was very entertaining.

The downside was that it was my older sister, but a guy's got to get it when he can!
<table class="genmed" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="100">eyepopping:</td><td width="40"></td></tr></tbody></table>
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #25

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37

Quote:
weebobby wrote:
As the sun sets in Prideaux haven on a summer's evening, just about all of the 50 or so anchored boats feel obliged to blow their horns at the same time.

Kind of spoils the "wilderness experience' for me
*We were in Prideaux Haven a number of times this summer, but never did experience the "Roche Harbor Horn Blowing" event.* Of course, we were not there when the party-hearty crowd was there either.

This is a practice best left for isolated events and places.
Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:20 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

The marina on the San Joaquin delta where we spent August asks you to toot your horn as you enter or exit the fairways.* I believe this is due to the sheds on the covered docks making visibility difficult and plus there are some tight quarters alongside big dollar boats at some of the intersections.**Our normal marina has no visibilty issues and very few people*toot their horn*routinely as they come and go.* there is one guy who likes to lay on the horn when*he wins at Wii bowling.* This normally occurs late at night after he has had a few.* Needless to say he is not a favorite around the marina. *
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #27
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Again, Monday, someone did a radio check on channel 16.* Fortunately, someone else*answered immediately saying radio checks on that channel*are illegal.* About every day I hear people asking for a radio check on 16.

Me?* I'm "radio shy."* I'll toot for a bridge opening*rather than*calling the bridge tender on the radio or phone.* Tooooooooot, toot.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -

People ask for radio check on 16 all the time up here. Sometimes the USCG doesn't answer and other times they do and tell the person that radio checks are supposed to be conducted on 83 or whatever the channel is these days. I always find this quite humorous since the Coast Guard, in answering, has performed the radio check being asked for.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:43 AM   #29
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Haha! I usually wait for someone to request a radio check, then I respond. They thank me, and I have mine too.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:23 AM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Gratuitous horn blowing

"Fortunately, someone else*answered immediately saying radio checks on that channel*are illegal."

http://maritel.zendesk.com/attachmen...A-11-970A1.pdf

-- Edited by RickB on Thursday 3rd of November 2011 06:28:37 AM
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:26 AM   #31
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Radio checks:* http://www.seatow.com/boating_safety/ARC.asp
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Yeah, I just found the FCC June announcement of the change.* Tried to edit my post but it wouldn't take it.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #33
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin

Teaching I had drilled into my mind when quite young on the Northern Atlantic Costal and ICWW, regarding sound signals for boating conditions. *
Horn blowing, bell gonging, and loudspeaker broadcasting rule(s) of thumb:* Do not use any overt sound signals out of synchronization with standard marine rules; except in cases of blind-side warnings (close proximity, narrow channel blind turns and the like) and for immediate crisis warnings to help divert impending collision or other emergencies.* Otherwise use your vessel control skills to maintain safety and proper navigation.* To say hello use your own voice, wave, or make contact by radio.
Of course, as I got a bit older... those loose straps on a sunning girls bikini did get a few toots and a whistle over the hailer if she happened to roll over or jump up!*
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:14 AM   #34
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Edelweiss wrote:

I hear people yelling on CH 16 all the time at some boater who cut them off, didn't yield, threw a wake, etc. *But I never hear the offending boat answer back. *I guess when you don't care, you're not likely to be listening to the radio either?? *Maybe it's a method for the offended vessel to blow off steam though?

They aren't listening to the radio or if they are, they aren't going to appologize to someone who just cursed at them or called them a name.

If someone asked me nicely to slow down, move over, etc., I would respond and do so.* If someone called me a "stupid f**k", I would ignore him.

And if someone broadcasts "Thanks for the wake, moron.", there isn't really an appropriate response that won't make matters worse.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 AM   #35
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Gratuitous horn blowing

RE: Throwing a wake where people are fishing:

No wake was thrown because it was a no wake zone anyway but; On a recent trip on the ICW in Charleston, SC, as I entered a narrow, curving part of the ICW, I encountered five or six small boats full of people anchored and fishing in the center of the channel. I also had to deal with a large boat coming the other way. Both the big boats got through OK, but the guys in the little boats fishing looked at me like I had no business being that close to them. Where was I supposed to go?

There should be a law against anchoring in a narrow channel and it should be enforced by ticketing the offenders. You're not allowed to park your car in the middle of a highway.

-- Edited by rwidman on Friday 4th of November 2011 06:26:05 AM

-- Edited by rwidman on Friday 4th of November 2011 06:27:13 AM
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #36
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

Quote:
rwidman wrote:

There should be a law against anchoring in a narrow channel and it should be enforced by ticketing the offenders.
I thought there was a law!* No?* Maybe I was just projecting a little common sense.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #37
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Gratuitous horn blowing

I have a cheat sheet, bought at West Marina, at the helm with the sound signals, but very seldom have I had to use going 5 to 10 knots. *Most boaters do not know that they mean as they will SMILE AND WAVE TO YOU., WHICH IS FAR BETTER than driving a vehicles as they give you the middle finger wave, and yell nasty words*

At 7 to 10 knots the Eagles wake is less than 1 ft.* *We can cruise through fishing boats without disturbing them.* *In the Puget Sound* 99% are trolling at 3 to 5 knots.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 4th of November 2011 10:29:13 AM

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote