GPS with creepy crawly wierd stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FOG

Guru
Vessel Name
DreamQuest
Vessel Make
Prairie 36
OK, I know it's almost Halloween, but I just noticed my GPS with some weird stuff inside on the screen.
Anyone seen this before? My GPS is on the flybridge and I do keep a cover on it.
Plan to take it apart to investigate and clean, but I thought I would ask the experts first.
Maybe some kind of mold???????????

Attachments

• IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 95
Good luck with that! Black snowflakes.

Halloween is right around the corner!

It doesn't look like any kind of LCD failure I've ever seen. If there is a protective screen over the actual LCD screen - that could indeed be stuff "growing" between the two screens. Normally those units are sealed but maybe yours lost its seal.

Ken

That's the dreaded glass fungus Best way to get rid of it is to heat it up to 1000c for 10 minutes

It doesn't look like any kind of LCD failure I've ever seen. If there is a protective screen over the actual LCD screen - that could indeed be stuff "growing" between the two screens. Normally those units are sealed but maybe yours lost its seal.

Ken

The weird stuff is always in the same place on the display when switching modes. So I agree that it's not an LCD failure and probably some kind of growth between the LCD panel and glass/plastic screen due to a bad seal.

I'm still hoping someone has seen this before and has a "tried & true" fix for it.

That's the dreaded glass fungus Best way to get rid of it is to heat it up to 1000c for 10 minutes

:eek:

However, I did leave it turned on for several hours with the cover on to heat it up, ... but no joy.

I just realized that I never followed up with what I found when I took it apart.

There was a plastic covering with a very slight smoke tint glued to the glass LCD screen. The glue was separating (air pockets) between the glass and plastic covering. That separation caused the weird spider like blotches on the screen.
I carefully removed the plastic covering and cleaned the glue residue off the screen and now call it fixed.

Attachments

• IMG_0923.jpg
    IMG_0923.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0922.jpg
    IMG_0922.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 56

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom