Old 11-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #1

gps/chartplotter

Hello all wise trawler owners that frequent trawler forum.com,*just was looking for some input on buying a new chartplotter for our 38'marine trader. The current gps on board is very dated and needs to be replaced (garmin 210) Looking foward to any suggestions and thank you all very much as always....brett

brettonjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: gps/chartplotter

If you go with a dedicated plotter the only brand worth considering in my opinion is Furuno. Particularly if you want to have a radar and plotter function in one instrument.

There are some good Garmin plotters out there but if money was no object I would never take one over a Furuno. We will be installing a new GPS plotter on our 17' Arima sometime before our next halibut fishing trip next spring but we won't go with Furuno for that--- it would be way overkill. But for a "real" boat, I thing Furuno is head and shoulders above everything else in terms of reliability, functionality, and product support/factory service.

If you want to go the laptop computer-based route (or iPad or iPhone or whatever) I have no suggestions for you because we won't use anything like this on our boat.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Having had many different brands (including Furuno) of plotters since 1995 (I'm addicted to chart plotters/radars/sounders) My choice would be Garmin. Although it is true that most professional skippers use Furuno, from a recreational boater's point of view you will find Garmin to be the most user friendly. (Intuitive) Even though they are very friendly, most people will never use all the bells and whistles they employ. You will find an excellent Garmin in all price ranges.

Garmin | Products
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

BrettonJohn:* What boat are you looking to add a GPS/Chartplotter to?**We have been PC based for the last 12 years.* We have the room for the laptop so that is what we are familiar with and like.*

If you are going to interface multiple inputs to your plotter look at compatibility.* The new standard is NMEA 2000 and all cabling and connectors are*not created equal.* We*installed a*Simrad autopilot this summer (NMEA 2000).* It would accept NMEA 183 but the converter was $100.00 from Simrad.* We then had some issues with the heading sensor and the*Furuno radar (NMEA 183).

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Cruz, Nayarit, MX***
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #5

sorry guys i should have given you more info in the beginning, yes just a chartplotter because the radar was just replaced when we bought the boat, and both deph sounders are in good working order. one thing that has been new to us on this boat the charts are getting alot of good use without a proper gps/chartplotter on board (not such a bad thing) funny how you get used to technology and depend on it (too much sometimes) thank you all for your help again

brett
Old 11-10-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
Guru

Here's another endorsement for Garmin. Very user friendly and mine has been reliable
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
jleonard wrote:

here's another endorsement for garmin. Very user friendly and mine has been reliable
x2

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:23 AM   #8
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
gps/chartplotter

I have used PC based charting since my days of sail. So as to avoid weatherproofing my PC, I bought a chart plotter for up on the flybridge. It came with built-in charts that were no better than the little globe sitting on the mantlepiece at home, so I paid the extra for the C-Map chip for this local area. By comparison, the C-Map are less than half the detail of the CHS charts the PC uses. I have seen our track go over land on the C-Map, never on the CHS charts. If you can get a chart plotter that uses your CHS (in Canada) or equivalent charts, you might be happy with the performance. I am not. That and the screen size. My PC has a 15 inch screen.

I paid less than one boat buck for my little plotter and its C-Map charts. The Capn program and the CHS charts together are less than one boat buck, and I already have a PC with me for other reasons, so I don't count that in the cost of charting. To get a big screen Chart Plotter will cost you considerably more than a PC system, and you may still be using deficient charts. The later versions of the Nav program will also drive your auto pilot and display depth and radar, if you want. I believe the other PC program will do all those things too, for roughly the same price as a decent Chart Plotter.

None of the above discusses brand name. You get what you pay for in the various brand names.

-- Edited by koliver on Wednesday 10th of November 2010 09:25:25 AM
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Ballard, WA
Vessel Name: Time Out
Vessel Model: CHB Ponderosa 42

I was in the same quandary when I bough my boat (CHB Ponderosa 42) earlier this summer.

Depth was DOA and GPS dated. I went with the Garmin 740. The touch screen is great and I bought a second mounting station so I can move it from helm to fly bridge. With built in antenna (that works with no issue inside), NEMA 2000, the ability to add radar and other MFD goodies it was the unit for me.

For $1,500 plus transducer I am more than satisfied. The 740 comes loaded with charts and are great. No need (IMHO) to get the 3g chart chips.
Flyguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

Whats a boat buck?
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
Sailor of Fortune wrote:

Whats a boat buck?
$1000

the smallest unit of money anything for the boat usually costs.

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

One boat buck = One boat unit = $1,000.

My vote for chart plotter would lean to NN3 if you are thinking of radar now or later. If no radar needed, just be sure your new Garmin etc is "expandable" for* nmea 2000 and AIS.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Quote:
Sailor of Fortune wrote:

Whats a boat buck?
We've have always gone by the Boat buck or Boat unit as:

Break Out Another Thousand (BOAT)

Larry/Lena
La Cruz, Nayarit, MX*
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #14
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

For me, a "boat dollar" is a five dollar bill, used mostly for tipping.* A "boat unit" is $100.00.

As for a plotter suggestion, like many others, I favor Garmin.* I installed and networked two Garmin 5208 plotters and a GSD 22 depth sounder on my boat.

One nice feature of Garmin is their "HomePort" software for $30.00 that allows you to copy the charts from your plotter, view them on your home PC, create routes and waypoints, and then upload them to the plotter.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #15

i went to west marine today and they had a garmin 740s model on the floor, what a cool unit! after having my hands on it i will have to have one! thank you again
Old 11-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Montreal
Vessel Name: septembre
Vessel Model: eagle 32'

I like the SIMRAD plotter and radar(broadband) and one good reason...the plotter is build in New Zealand.... not China. ...............Better quality of product
septembre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #17
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
gps/chartplotter

Quote:
brettonjohn wrote:"I went to west marine today and they had a Garmin 740s model on the floor, what a cool unit! after having my hands on it I will have to have one! thank you again."
I did the same thing, yesterday, and played with the 740 for about 45 minutes.
The graphics on the unit is super and the re draw, etc; is really fast. One big
surprise I got was when the salesperson told me that the unit has no video
inputs. I find this very hard to believe so if anyone out there has one and can
confirm/deny this statement, I'd appreciate it. (I suppose I should Google
it but am very lazy as of this writing.)

I also checked out the Simrad NSE (NorthStar Edition) and was very impressed.
It's really "intuitive" and lightning fast. Definitely worth a look. *

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 12th of November 2010 08:22:47 PM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #18
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
gps/chartplotter

Quote:
brettonjohn wrote:

i went to west marine today and they had a garmin 740s model on the floor, what a cool unit! after having my hands on it i will have to have one! thank you again
If you have more than one helm, you will want plotters for each and plotters that can be networked together and with a depth sounder.*

-- Edited by rwidman on Saturday 13th of November 2010 10:22:11 AM
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Port Charlotte, Florida
Vessel Name: Reef Drifter
Vessel Model: 1983, 34 ft., Marine Trader

I bought the Garmin 4210 with the Blue Chip and GSD 22 sounder. The screen is a nice size and the unit is simple to get to know. It will accept radar, weather and can handle two video feeds. I have one camera so far facing the stern and will put the second camera in the engine room. I think this unit will even scramble your eggs in the morning!!! Now let me see....where did I read that? I only have the one unit on the fly bridge since we have never used the lower helm but I can always add another compatible unit there if needed.
reefdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #20
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Why use a chartplotter if all you need is GPS? Go for a laptop set up and save a ton of $$ and get better charts and easier updates. I use a macbook at our lower helm with MacENC and love it thus far. I am hardwiring a 15" flatscreen for the bridge and have a wireless mouse that will work the macbook from the bridge so I can control everything from the bridge. Much cheaper, better charts it seems, quicker updates, larger screen...so far seems win-win for me.

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote