Old 10-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I'd be curious how often Active Captain's charts get updated with the latest notice to mariners?

Old 10-24-2013, 05:40 PM   #22
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
I think Jeff always says ActiveCaptain is NOT intended for navigation... that it's more like a cruisers guide.

-Chris

Old 10-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I use a chartplotter with a chip that is five years old. I also have a set of paper charts that is 10 or more years old. Both work fine for me and having the latest NTMs notated on the chart or some other obscure change over the years included in my chart doesn't do much for me. Soundings are rarely updated and that is what really matters.

FWIW, and everybody probably get's it... there are chips... and then there are chips...

Many plotters allow both software (chip) and chart (ship) updates... and that can be independent of each other.

A software update might make the display work better, easier, faster, whatever... or maybe correct a bug...

OTOH, a chart update would incorporate all the Notices to Mariners that happened in the meantime... and those can happen often. Yearly in some cases, weekly or daily (or on demand) in others...

-Chris
Old 10-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
I just saw this from NOAA: NOAA’s newest addition to the nautical charting portfolio is the new Portable Document Format (PDF) nautical chart, which provides up-to-date navigation information in this universally available file type. The PDF nautical charts are available for a three-month trial period, from October 22, 2013, to January 22, 2014

PDF Nautical Charts (Trial)
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
I tried downloading one, just as a test, and it just sat there. There was an indicator (a little spinning circle) which would seem to mean that it was downloading, but after about 10 minutes I aborted it. Perhaps the site was just super busy.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Perhaps the site was just super busy.

That'd be my guess. I downloaded several a few days ago (10/22, actually), easy, no glitches, etc.

FWIW and IMO, the PDF charts are nice enough but don't do well when zooming in... the pixels separate and the chart becomes illegible... so it's not like viewing a NOAA raster chart with a chart plotter, purpose-made app, chart viewing software, etc.

Still, potentially decent for some uses.

-Chris
Old 10-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #27
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I just downloaded 11326, Galveston Bay with no problem. It was about 7 meg and I can zoom in 800% with no degradation. Very cool, although I'm not sure how I would actually use them underway, since my nav computer will have it's own electronic chart in use.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I just downloaded 11326, Galveston Bay with no problem. It was about 7 meg and I can zoom in 800% with no degradation. Very cool, although I'm not sure how I would actually use them underway, since my nav computer will have it's own electronic chart in use.
I managed to do it successfully this time. The problem seemed to have more to do with my browser (Firefox) than with the NOAA site, so once I figured out how to do it I downloaded a couple of them quickly. The resolution looks good.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #29

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
This is an interesting topic and while it seems nearly everyone is now navigating on raster or vector electronic charts, I'm wondering how many still steer by compass? Although I have long since moved to electronic plotting and navigation, I still steer by compass versus folowing a plot line or steering screen. Not exactly sure why, trust?, force of habit? but I do find it easier & more comfortable. I've met several relatively new boaters who don't even have one, or if they do, can say whether it has been swung or not. Many may laugh, but I still carry an RDF on board......... just in case. I concede it never gets used for Nav anymore but it's not wasted space as I like listening to the oldie AM stations on it.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #30
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Great discussion!
I sit on the middle of the fence on this one, I love my 15" Northstar plotter and the quick info and location it provides with no hassle, I also have a PC going running NOAA charts ... plus a tablet.. and a smart phone. Redundancy isn't going to be a issue.

But... I also really like to have paper on board and typically keep a chart at hand unless it is local where I don't feel the need. When we cruised the S.Pac in the 90's the government actually shut down the GPS net for a day or two.. right in the middle of the crossing between Mexico and the Marquesas!. As we were proficient at celestial at that point it was a non issue... but I was happy to see the box start to get a fix when they flipped the switch back on.

As the Admiral and I sat through the movie Gravity last week I had a epiphany....

1- if a event like that happened we all would be screwed if it happened at the altitude of the ring of gps sats..

2- Sandra Bullock looks hot in booty shorts

The scene where she stripped of her space suit and revealed her amazing figure while doing some yoga/fetal pose had me audibly say wow... I had to quickly assure the Admiral that it at that very moment hit me of how we would all be royally screwed if something of that nature accured ( the sats taking space junk impact not seeing S.B. in booty shorts )

I don't think the Admiral bought the " wow" reason but I had to say something.

My point is that all the redundancy doesnt do squat if the satellite system for what ever reason failed to provide our units on the surface a signal.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #31
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
"Sandra Bullock looks hot in booty shorts"

Looks like there is a bit of "Hollywood" with you after all.

But SB looks hot in anything .. or nothing. But I'm not sure about the latter.

She's almost an old lady though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #32
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Kangeroo View Post
This is an interesting topic and while it seems nearly everyone is now navigating on raster or vector electronic charts, I'm wondering how many still steer by compass?
For those that still do steer by compass, the KVH Azimuth 1000 is the way to go. I've replaced my alcohol ship's compass with an Azimuth 1000 and can't believe the difference. Self calibrating, dampened read out, etc. You have to see & use one to really appreciate it. (They're not cheap, however.)

Azimuth 1000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KVH Azimuth 1000.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	24116  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #33
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
"Sandra Bullock looks hot in booty shorts"

Looks like there is a bit of "Hollywood" with you after all.

But SB looks hot in anything .. or nothing. But I'm not sure about the latter.

She's almost an old lady though.
S. B. 49 and fine in my book!..

I got the nickname long before TF

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #34
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I think Jeff always says ActiveCaptain is NOT intended for navigation... that it's more like a cruisers guide.

-Chris
I planned my recent trip on activecaptain and then downloaded it to my GPS which had a new updated map chip. Worked great...
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
NOAA has an app that allows the charts of your area to download into a tablet and serve as a backup chartplotter. I loaded it into my Galaxy Note 8 and will give it a try. I like having vector charts on the Garmin and raster charts on the backup source (laptop or tablet)

NOAA

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote