Old 02-26-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Nobeltec Radar

Anyone here using a radar with their computer navigation program?
Looking for feedback both Pro and Con, am thinking about an upgrade to Nobeltec Trident with radar to replace Nobeltec VNS 10 and an old Furuno stand alone radar.......Thoughts.
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
At the Seattle boat show I bought Nobeltec Odyssey with raster charts and a GPS for $200. bucks. The main reason is to have AIS, send and receive. another $500 to 700 bucks, So this spring I will buy the AIS unit, and antenna for it. We are also looking at a back up Radar for our 15+ year old Rayathone but that is in next years boat budget.

At the show Nobeltec had the radar for $1,999 and the Trident software was free. I looked hard at the package, but its not in the budget this year and the old Raythone still works.

Furuno purchased Nobeltec and I think the chart soft ware are the same. The Nobeltec both was right next to Furuno so I made sure both were compatible with each other.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
At the Seattle boat show I bought Nobeltec Odyssey with raster charts and a GPS for $200. bucks. The main reason is to have AIS, send and receive. another $500 to 700 bucks, So this spring I will buy the AIS unit, and antenna for it. We are also looking at a back up Radar for our 15+ year old Rayathone but that is in next years boat budget.

At the show Nobeltec had the radar for $1,999 and the Trident software was free. I looked hard at the package, but its not in the budget this year and the old Raythone still works.

Furuno purchased Nobeltec and I think the chart soft ware are the same. The Nobeltec both was right next to Furuno so I made sure both were compatible with each other.
What is you are thinking of doing for your backup radar?
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Well, since Furuno bought Nobelec, using Nobeltc software, and is the top rated #1 or #2. I would look real hard at Furuno. It also depends if the radar is going to be stand alone with its on screen or have the radar overlay on the Nobeltec Charts, so Furuno would be the choice as I know they will work together. However, I am old school, before bundling, so I prefer each to have their own screen and operate independent.

I talk to several independent well know installers at the show and they recommend Furuno and/or Raymarine. Commercial is Furuno, and plessure is split. Since we presently have all Rayathone, we might stick with Raymarine but presently Furuno and Raymarine are tied.

so does that make it clear as mud!
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote