Old 07-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #21
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Dave
Your panel's performance is excellent. What brand and model is it? How is it mounted - is there an air gap underneath it for cooling?

At my old house I saw outputs close to rated panel capacity, but on my boat I am nowhere near it. Come summer with better sun angles I want to try and improve it.
They are GLOWTECH panels. The Chinese probably put any name on them you want. They are a China manufacturer. I have them sitting on plexiglass panels on the bridge canvas supports. The panels have industrial Velcro stitched to the edges on top and bottom and the bimin has Velcro/camvas lapels that hold the panels. (see previous post for pictures) I bought them on ebay at $299 a 150 watt panel. BE ADVISED', two of the three panel I bought have failed. I believe the blocking diodes failed. The seller "discountsolar" is working to replace the bad panels. The panels look just like the $900 135 watt panels sold as marine at the boat shows.

fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:04 PM   #22
Guru

Just this week .
I completed the installation Of 825 watts of solar running through an Outback control. My panels are mounted horizontally on top of my Hardtop no shading . as luck would have it here in South Florida it has been cloudy all week with some rain. So far I've been a averaging 2 kilowatts per day. I am waiting for the Sun to shine all day to see what it is capable Of. I am charging 1320 amps of golf cart battery

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:35 PM   #23
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Just this week .
I completed the installation Of 825 watts of solar running through an Outback control. My panels are mounted horizontally on top of my Hardtop no shading . as luck would have it here in South Florida it has been cloudy all week with some rain. So far I've been a averaging 2 kilowatts per day. I am waiting for the Sun to shine all day to see what it is capable Of. I am charging 1320 amps of golf cart battery
Lets us know how they do in good sun. My boat uses about 300 amp-hrs per day. I would need about 3.6 KW per day to be even on consumption. Sounds like you have an awesome setup.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:09 PM   #24
Guru

I will let you know.
for anybody that's looking for solar panels in the South Florida area. I bought these from a guy who has 250 and 275 watt Spanish made panels. For $180 each. They are new from a company that is no longer in business. It seemed like he had a garage full of these
Old 07-31-2015, 03:46 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: DeFever 72
It would be interesting to see how many have panels mounted on hard top with subsequent heat increase versus on a Bimini which allows heat dissipation and little reflective heat plus also cooling of air.

There is air gaps under all my panels. Next week I receive the bits to put it all together. I think it might also be interesting to see how many use the solar panel connections that are just the high quality plug style male female joints as opposed to a junction box.

So who has what connections and junction boxes. Even the wiring is critical. I have managed to get the best quality solar panel wiring with all its multi type insulation. Must help out you would think...

what are your thoughts as to set up?
Bohans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

City: River Trent
Vessel Model: Profile 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohans View Post
It would be interesting to see how many have panels mounted on hard top with subsequent heat increase versus on a Bimini which allows heat dissipation and little reflective heat plus also cooling of air.

There is air gaps under all my panels. Next week I receive the bits to put it all together. I think it might also be interesting to see how many use the solar panel connections that are just the high quality plug style male female joints as opposed to a junction box.

So who has what connections and junction boxes. Even the wiring is critical. I have managed to get the best quality solar panel wiring with all its multi type insulation. Must help out you would think...

what are your thoughts as to set up?
I agree good set up is important, all the details need to be right to get the best out of the system.
But I generally take it as read that people who have installed them have followed the panel maker's & charge controller's recommendations. I certainly have.

I have a 150w panel, with MC4 connectors, 4mm2 wires about 8ft long to charge controller. 6mm2 wires about 7 ft long from controller to battery bank. But only one panel. I wonder if that's where I'm going wrong. Would I have been better fitting 2x 75w panels?
Trundlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
Lets us know how they do in good sun. My boat uses about 300 amp-hrs per day. I would need about 3.6 KW per day to be even on consumption. Sounds like you have an awesome setup.
Today my panels put 3kw into my battery bank. Looks like they peaked out at 667 watts at with peak voltage of 127 going into controller. I am happy with that
Old 08-10-2015, 11:10 PM   #28

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: St Christopher
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 50ft tri-cabin
Modern panels need just a bright sky to work. My panels are producing 6-8 amps 1 hr after dawn. I produce 3-4kw a day. The controller is also on settling .absorbing etc during the day. I have 4X 235 w panels, Maverick controller. 1150amps house batteries 10xT105's. In the Caribbean. There is lots of cloud in the Caribbean but it's very bright clean air. My Panels are flat on top of the F/bridge bimini.

Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote