GFCI Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fletch

Vessel Name
Nickel Plate
Vessel Make
Jeanneau Velasco 43
I have an issue I'm not sure how to handle. Had a outlet added in the ER to support block heaters for winter, the yard added a GFCI weather resistant (leviton) strait off a panel. After a year or so, got flashing red on the outlet, which indicates the GFCI needs replacement. So I replace (not with the same brand), and now it trips two breakers upstream, at what I have found through research, is the RCD. As the boat was built to EU standards, per Nigel Calder I apparently have actually whole boat GFI, with separation of AC/DC grounding and corresponding corrosion benefit. The question I have, is it OK to use a standard outlet, given the RCD trips at 30 ma or so, or do I need the 5 ma from a downstream outlet per ABYC. Could the two GFIs be fighting each other? The outlet would normally be off except in the dormant months. Thanks, B (BTW heaters are working well, plugged into normal outlet, off the main)

If the only thing that was changed is you installed a new GFCI then I would say either it or the wiring to it now has a problem.

You checked polarity? If OK Suggest you add a standard plug and see what happens. I've two standard outlets in the ER and over the years had several different ABYC electricians onboard, never a question but there certainly could be for nitpickers.

Should be a GFI outlet or circuit protected if there is water nearby (yes to most engine rooms with bilge water).

I have an ELCI for the boat and several standard Home Depot Leviton GFIs and have no issues.

With outlet out, energized circuit, have voltage and no tripping, thanks for answering!

When installing a gfci on the boat is the green wire used or is it gfci alone?

The green wire is for ground, but I don't understand the question. Please elaborate.

Does the gfci get grounded via the ground point and green wire or does it remain independent of ground? I have a galvanic isolator and will install an Elci blue seas for shore power. Will also make sure the ground and neutral are open at the panel and equipment.
I’m just starting to trace out and draw my current electrical system and upgrade as required and ensure it’s safe.

GFCI’s can be installed without a ground wire and be safe ashore but is this how they are done afloat?

Does the gfci get grounded …
GFCI’s can be installed without a ground wire and be safe ashore but is this how they are done afloat?

GFCI’s pick up the ground/green conductor when available. It doesnt affect the ground fault action, but providing earthing is a primary safety strategy. And, I might add, far more reliable than gfci electronics.

Older block heaters are known for causing GFCI trips. You have a heating element immersed in coolant and grounded to the block. Unplug the block heater and measure resistance between hot and ground. You should see mega Ohms. If you see 100 KOhms or less you have significant leakage. The leakage can change as the block heater heats up.

Back
Top Bottom