Getting Started on Solar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Victron has an Excel sheet that can help you select the appropriate sized Victron controller.

well what is the Open Voltage? and the max Current
based on that you can see how to connect them

Like on my one boat I have panles. 2 parallel 'groups' of 2 in series on the other I have them each with their own controller

Steve and Zoila,

Did you mean one bank for starting and house bank? Most folks split the house bank from the start bank. It’s because the chemistry and needed function are different.

To start the engine you need a big oomph! to turn the engine over. The key thing is to look at a high CCA rating (cold cranking amps). You need big cables for this high load. (Because of the high short loads, folks often hook up the windlass and bow thruster to the start battery.)

For the house load, it’s a slow drain over a period of many hours. Much like a golf cart. House banks are best done with a “true deep cycle” battery. Golf cart batteries are specifically designed for this. Folks using lead acid batteries usually assemble a house bank with something like a Trojan T-105 because they are easy to maneuver into the tight spaces we all experience down below.

The gel chemistry has some advantages and disadvantages (one of which is cost).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom