Old 02-13-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Generators. The Good, Bad and The Ugly

Looking for a used boat also means looking at used gen sets that come with them. Anyone willing to give feed back on what they think of the gen set that they have? For proper evaluation please include Brand, Size, What You Like and What You Don't. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.

Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
Guru

Type:Onan 6.5 MKMD. came with boat, hour meter stuck @ 1370, I realized when it did not change. Reconditioned, according to Onan agent sticker, and paint over everything. Not the OEM genset.
Plus: Quiet, in sound shield, no vibration, starts easy, runs well, churns out power.
Neg: Had to replace start/stop solenoid. Screw mount fitting for fuel filter turned out deformed, fine just after changing filter, then leaked fuel, heaps! Mechanic found me a 2nd hand replacement. A water/exhaust gas separator might be good, despite no complaints received.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:53 PM   #3
Guru

I have heard good things about Onan. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:53 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Anyone willing to give feed back on what they think of the gen set that they have?.
Sure. Our 1973 boat has a similar vintage Onan MDJE, 7.5kw, two cylinder diesel generator in it.

What I like about it: It was free. It works. It's a pretty robust unit. It puts out a lot of power if you need it. It's a low-speed generator (1800 rpm?) as opposed to the high speed units (2600 rpm?) so it doesn't have an annoying (to me) loud buzz. With regular use and proper servicing and maintenance, it has a reputation for lasting "forever."

What I don't like about it: It's much bigger and heavier than a modern generator. It puts out a LOT more vibration than a modern generator. The vibration has been known to cause problems with some of the circuit boards. Parts are expensive when you need them. It puts out more power than our boat needs. Wen have a propane galley so only need 5kw at most.

What we'll replace it with if it becomes too expensive to keep running: A Northern Lights generator of some 5 kw or so.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:16 PM   #5
Guru

I never thought about the rpm issue. I do know that a unit that is too large for your usage is not a good thing. I see a lot of Northern Lights out there. Appreciate your comments.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:05 AM   #6
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Westebeke 12.5kw. Love it. More than enough kw for our needs. Best thing about it is it starts every time. Second best is it's very quiet.
Drake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:19 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Northern Lights 9KW

The good:

Perfect size for the boat. The quiestest generator in its class. Works perfect. You do not even know its running.

The bad:

Cost.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:53 AM   #8
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
We have Northern Lights 20 KW and an 8KW. They came with the boat.

Good? So far, over three years, everything. Quiet (in sound shields), no vibration, no issues so far at all, maintenance is fairly easy.

Bad? Haven't really found any bad so far although as KSanders mentioned, if buying new, they are at the top end of the cost curve.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:07 AM   #9
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
We have a Westerbeke 10kw in a sound shield. Easy to service. Not too loud. Reliably starts and runs as long as needed. We have reverse cycle heat/AC so we run it when we need heat, which is most of the time. Keeps the batteries charged and the water hot when we are not under way.

I plan to install diesel hydronic heat eventually. When I do, this generator will be way too big for my needs. We have a propane stove/oven too. Until then it is fine. Glad to have the power.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:27 AM   #10
Guru

The Onan MDKD is 3 cylinder, the MDJE Marin has is 2 cyl. The MDKD also runs at 1800rpm, but does not have vibration. People onboard comment on its quietness, people on an adjacent boat who I told apologetically it would run for an hour said they had not heard it.
That said, there are plenty of other good brands out there. A good sound shield is a must.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Tranquility Base
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48 North Sea
We have a Northern Lights, came with the boat. Only complaint is the sound insulation had turned to rubbish and had to be replaced after eight years. Is that to be expected?
Brian Harward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:51 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
30 year old Westerbeke 8kw. Have replaced everything but the motor, including ac end (the windings). Have rebuilt the sound shield. Since we do not use airconditoning the biggest load is two large inverter chargers and a 1500 watt water heater. With all three units on the hertz drops from 61.2 to 57.5 for the first ten minutes. If had to replace would get Northern Lights 6.0 kW.
Old 02-14-2015, 05:16 AM   #13
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Sure. Our 1973 boat has a similar vintage Onan MDJE, 7.5kw, two cylinder diesel generator in it.

What I like about it: It was free. It works. It's a pretty robust unit. It puts out a lot of power if you need it. It's a low-speed generator (1800 rpm?) as opposed to the high speed units (2600 rpm?) so it doesn't have an annoying (to me) loud buzz. With regular use and proper servicing and maintenance, it has a reputation for lasting "forever."

What I don't like about it: It's much bigger and heavier than a modern generator. It puts out a LOT more vibration than a modern generator. The vibration has been known to cause problems with some of the circuit boards. Parts are expensive when you need them. It puts out more power than our boat needs. Wen have a propane galley so only need 5kw at most.

What we'll replace it with if it becomes too expensive to keep running: A Northern Lights generator of some 5 kw or so.
Same genset, 1980 vintage, same experience. To that I'll add:

Outside the boat, no-one even knows it's running. Inside, it'll rattle your teeth right out of your head. The sound shield is old and not very tight, so I'm not convinced it's helping much. My problems so far have been with the raw water system, hopefully I've got them all addressed now.

I'm not ready to invest in a Northern Lights. If you find a used boat with one of those installed, that would be a huge plus. I will bring a Honda 2000i on longer trips as a backup, and try to keep the Onan alive for as long as I can.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:31 AM   #14

City: Freeport Tx
I have a norprp. Have had no problems don't know the age I have had boat for 10 yrs. This gen came out another boat think it is 25 yrs old don't know I have 3800hrs on it. Now a boat that my friend has was new in 07 just replaced his kolher it had 2200hr it was braking down seveal times a year
Pure pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:59 AM   #15

City: N. Kingstown, R.I.
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: 36' sabreline fast trawler
Have a northern lights 4.5 kW with sound shield original to boat (25 years).
Pros: 1800 rpm, 3 cylinder, very quiet outside or on bridge/aft deck.
Plenty of power for normal use (no ac)
Reliable mostly.
Cons: would be very expensive to replace.
Somewhat loud in salon, but not excessively so.
Been very happy to have it, my last boat had a Kohler 5k 2 cylinder gasser; noises as a bastid'!
dach side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #16
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
If you find a used boat with one of those installed, that would be a huge plus. .
I just bought a boat that came with a 12KW NL generator. I've heard nothing but "good" about these sets......we shall see!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0753.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	37397  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #17

City: Birch bay wa
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Have a 6 kw NL. Latches on enclosure are a bit of a problem. Had to replace exhaust elbow, 2007 vintage. Runs great and is very quiet. Exhaust is split, water exits under boat, gasses out the stern.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #18
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Kohler, 8EOZ, 8Kw, 1800 rpm on a 3-cylinder Yanmar diesel. Works. It's in a soundbox, so impeller and zinc changes not as easy as they could be otherwise.

-Chris
Old 02-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #19

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
Westerbeke 8kw. 30 years old. Poor maintenance issues from prior owners due to poor access led to some overheating shutdowns.... but runs well now. A bit noisy with the old sound shield missing some material. The coolant recovery hose fitting at the filler neck needs periodic cleaning out. All in all, happy with it.
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:33 AM   #20
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Northern Lights is considered the Cadillac of marine generators. Fischer-Panda is considered the Yugo (although not in price!!!, so maybe like the pre Ford Jaguars.). Virtually any 1,800 rpm generator is better than any 3,600 rpm generator.

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote