generator works with victron multiplus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hidetoshi

hi,

i'm thinking to get 6-10kw generator (probably diesel) which i can start and stop by multiplus' function viertual switch.

what generator do you recomend?
what kind of connection or interface does generator has to have?
on the multiplus i have nc, no and com terminals.

thank you

what generator do you recomend?

Will you be making AC to operate 120V toys,

OR huge DC to charge batts rapidly , with an inverter for house toys?

The difference will be in time to fill batts , and noise aboard as the 12v can run slower with lower loads , the 120V unit is locked into 1800 or 3600RPM.

hi ff,

well, generally i need ac-230V out put (extra 3 phase 400V out put is also nice to have).
then my victron multiplus will charge 920Ah battery bank and same time give extra power.
my multiplus is 3kw 50A transfer.

anyway, my question was mainly about auto-start function of generator.
i'm checking the web, but don't know much about it.
ats? nc-no? is there any standard interface for it or?...

thanks

Most of the high end chargers , inverters have ALL the bells and Whistles and include an auto start featrure.

MY advice is get the noisemaker folks and inverter folks to give you a complete set of INSTALLATION , (not just operating) instructions. BEFORE PURCHASE!!!

For most large inverter/chargers to actually charge a batt set at their rated amperage it takea at least a 10KW noisemaker. This is usually oversized and enshores a shorter run life for the underloaded unit.

The "best" to me , is a smallish 4 or 6KW unit that will be operating at 60%+ of its output almost ALL the time , coupled to a smart inverter to fill in for air cond or other large induction motor starting.

These are really smart units so when plugged into a dock with crappy power will follow along , adding juice as needed , recharging as it can.

In the US it would be a dock with 15A service. This will operate a small fridge and charge the batts, and with a smart inverter a smaller air cond can be operated , the inverter supplying the start amperage.

Have seen folks (with a good batt set) operate the air cond and a washer from 15A , the inverter catching up the batt set all night long.

-- Edited by FF on Friday 1st of October 2010 04:18:40 AM

HOW to hook up the noisemaker with US current , one big 120V output or two 120V legs has always been as concern,

Here is one mans opinion, as lifted from the busnuts.

Sure...

Halving the voltage doubles the current, which means you'll need bigger breakers, wires, switches, etc., as I wrote.

Basically, on a coach, generators smaller than 4kW should always be strapped for 120v, and generators 12kW and larger should always be strapped for 240/120 split phase.

Between those numbers, generators between 4 and 12 kW, which voltage you choose can depend on a number of factors, one of which will be the cost and availability of parts.

Take, for example, a 10kW generator set, a rather common size. 10kW is about 42 amps at 240 volts, but it's a whopping 84 amps at 120 volts. Because breakers don't come in those sizes, the required generator output breaker would be a 40-amp two-pole for a 240-volt set, or an 80-amp single-pole for a 120-volt set.

With the 40-amp 240-volt setup, you would have the option of wiring that directly (through the 40-amp breaker) to a NEMA 14-50R receptacle into which you could just plug your shore cord, a simple and inexpensive way to switch between shore and generator inputs. With the 80-amp setup, you could not use this method, and would need a transfer switch.

Any transfer switch you get for this application would also need to be rated for 80 amps, but as you are probably aware, most such devices made for the RV market are 50 amps (or worse, 30 amps). An 80-amp switch is an industrial item, much larger and more expensive than the commonly available 50-amp models.

Then there is the matter of wire sizing. The 40-amp setup would require only #8 wire (in THHN, for most normal temperatures). The 80-amp setup would require #4. If you've ever tried to pull three #4's through conduit, you'll know what a bear that can be. Also, you'll need much larger conduit for three #4 than you will for four #8.

Lastly, the rig will still need to have a split-phase entrance, because shore power at those ratings is 240 volts. So now you also have to have a way to connect your split-phase shore power to this system designed for 80-amps single-phase. Several ways to do that, but it is an additional layer of complexity.

By contrast, a 6kW generator produces only 50 amps wired for 120. So if you already have a 50-amp split-phase electrical system, whether with a transfer switch or with a cord-and-plug, it is a simple matter to just gang the two legs of the input together between the transfer mechanism and the generator breaker.

For these reasons, if it were me, I would strap for straight 120 up to 6kW, and for 240 above 10kW. In between, you need to do the math, and figure out what your priorities are.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

In my opinion, the Northern Lights is one of the best gensets available right now. I would suggest you have a conversation with both Victron and the manufacturer of the genset you choose to get the information you really need. Keep in mind the advise you get on the internet is worth exactly what you pay for it. Unless someone has the exact set up you are trying to put together you will have a lot of missing pieces and these set ups are a bit more complicated than you will find on a discussion board. Good luck. Chuck

thank you chuck,

i checked the northan light web site and they seem great generators.
victron tech said that "If you dont understand how to use a NO,NC please contact a local installer who does."
i contacted local generator supplier and they are preparing the offer.

thank for the valuable information.

What is the advantage of autostart vs manual? I see only negatives on a boat.

What is the advantage of autostart vs manual?

No thinking , or understanding , no learning curve , nothing to learn , except put fuel in the tank.

FF -- You forgot to mention no workable genset at the most inconvenient time since "by the book" pre-start and shut down procedures were not followed.

Capn Chuck wrote:

In my opinion, the Northern Lights is one of the best gensets available right now. I would suggest you have a conversation with both Victron and the manufacturer of the genset you choose to get the information you really need. Keep in mind the advise you get on the internet is worth exactly what you pay for it. Unless someone has the exact set up you are trying to put together you will have a lot of missing pieces and these set ups are a bit more complicated than you will find on a discussion board. Good luck. Chuck
Chuck
In your opinion, why do you say Northern Lights are so much better than the rest?
R.

Ralph, Based on my personal experience as a service tech over many years dealing with the Northern Light, Onan, Westerbeke, Panda, don't get me started, and just about every other manufacturer. My experience with Northern Light has been one of maintenance verses repairs and breakdowns with many of the other brands. The quality of construction and the engineering, plus manufacturing support for almost any situation based on their responsiveness when I or an owner had questions. This was whether it pertains to a new installation or a ten year old unit. This in addition to owner feedback. Chuck

-- Edited by Capn Chuck on Friday 8th of October 2010 05:19:20 PM

Back
Top Bottom