Old 09-21-2010, 03:57 AM   #21
FF
Guru

RE: generator vs. ?

Using batteries to run an Air Cond at night is simply a matter of system choice , and price.

There are at least 4 different methods used on trucks to keep the sleeping quarters air cooled during down times .

This , depending on the drivers preference , can be a challenge as many prefer to sleep day time and drive at night , so the solar gain on the sleeper will be high.

The problem is volume and insulation.

A truck sleeper is smaller than the owners cabin on most boats , and probably better insulated.

However the night , no sun load should be handleable.

The problem is trucks will operate the engine ,next day , 8-12 hours and that is long enough to recharge a large batt bank. A few hours of cruising or noisemaker will not come close.

You might be able to use a good custom noisemaker with a 300A 24V alt during the day , to time shift the noisemaker stench and noise , but you would need both a Sine Wave inverter for efficiency and spiral wound deep cycle batts to be able to absorb the charge rapidly.

Big bucks.

Another solution could be home made eutetic plates , freeze them rapidly with a cast iron (YORK) CAR 10HP COMPRESSOR in a few hours of run time , and suck cool air as long as it lasts. Cabin size and OAT will be the concern.

Can you do it Sure , but for less than the cost of the battery cables you can get a gasoline Honda to operate the std boat air system.

The unit simply is ploped in the dink and trailed astern 30 ft.

There far far quieter than the installed diesel sets , so the folks in the harbor MAY not use it for target practice.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

If you are prepared to forgo aircon at night for fans, and apart from the odd stinker, that is certainly ok out on the water, as our cruising grounds here off Brisbane would compare with the warmest the US coast could throw up I think. We are totally 12v and manage with just solar and the engine during the day, and an Airbreeze wind charger whenever there is a breeze, day or night. It can also augment the engine and solar when on the move depending on wind and travel direction.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #23

City: Cape Coral FL
Vessel Name: Say GoodBye
Vessel Model: 21 Mako

Gensets in an enclosure are known for being ignored for routine maintance. THe enclosure prevents you from SEEING things that you ought to be noticing, such as a hose falling loose, etc. before catastrophic failure.

Just realize when you get an encosure you also have added obligation to REMOVE IT often to inspect the genset.

You could try the genset without the enclosure first and see how the noise it. Thats what I did on my boat. Thought I needed an enclosure in my list of trawler "needs" before purchase but this boat's genset is not enclosed. Bought it and tried it. The noise is completely tolerable and I like having it exposed for easy visual inspection.

R.
ralphyost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:17 AM   #24
FF
Guru

"You could try the genset without the enclosure first and see how the noise it. "

This could be difficult as many base pans used to seal the unit are mounted under the noisemaker.

You would have to lift the unit , or purchase the bottom of the set , in the hopes of not using it.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #25
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
hbrman wrote:

I would like to run the A/C and fridge durring the night while on the hook.* Don't like the idea of running a generator (noise).* What is the alternative?
Can add more batteries to run the A/C and fridge at night and a bigger alternator on the engine to recharge underway?* What other controls are needed?

You don't describe the*refrigerator, but I run my AC/DC refrigerator all the time without a second thought.

As for running an airconditioner using battery power (and an implied inverter), forget it.* In theory, it's possible, but you would have to fill your bilge with batteries to run an airconditioner capable of cooling your boat for any length of time.* Do you really want to load your boat with*1,000 lb of batteries?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:05 AM   #26
FF
Guru

fill your bilge with batteries to run an airconditioner capable of cooling your boat for any length of time.

Actually it really depends on weather you wish to air cond the sleeping cabin or "the whole boat".

The tech is HERE , even to do it with tiny battery drain.

The system used Eutetic plates , a large compressor to freeze the plates quickly , engine or noisemaker belt driven.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
FF wrote:

"You could try the genset without the enclosure first and see how the noise it. "

This could be difficult as many base pans used to seal the unit are mounted under the noisemaker.

You would have to lift the unit , or purchase the bottom of the set , in the hopes of not using it.
FF, we gotta guy in our area that makes "soft sided" noise enclosures. *His main business is noise suppression at the plants around here. *He built one for my last boat for $600!!!! No base pan need. *Everything is held together with velcro. *Anyway, he did an excellent job for a relatively small amount of money and it provided inspection "ports" that you just "tore off" via velcro. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:26 AM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

That sounds very interesting. Are they self supporting or do they require a frame of some sort?

If you can pm me with a contact for the guy I would appreciate it. We have some applications where that might work very well.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:44 AM   #29
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

I'm with Rick on this, Baker what is his contact info?
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:38 AM   #30

Most electrical generators provide electricity by turning a dynamo with a fueled engine, but an inverter is a series of coils that convert stored electricity into usable voltages. Inverters require batteries, or a power source, and a generator does not (as it is the power source). The most common use for an inverter is with a solar power system, for conversion of the DC electrical power to usable AC. Most generators will include a proprietary inverter in their design, to temper the electricity produced by the dynamo. Determining which technology is best will depend on the power requirements and which fuel is practical.
austinraja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #31
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH

The Scorpius* (90 ft steel) has a smaller off peak generator with a sound blanket that was installed due to the lack of space for a proper enclosure, and it works ok.* If it were fit better (it sits around a stainless steel framework) no doubt it would work better, and it's an idea I support.* A bigger problem with that generator is the intake noise.* Much work was done to silence this thing, including professional vibration / noise studies, and it was determined the intake was the worst offender.* A 4ft long piece of rubber hose with a silencer at the end now serves as the intake.* Prior to that, it was under a 25ft high steel exhaust trunk, and it caused a resonance throughout the whole boat, and it was really hard to isolate.* Once found the simple repair was quite effective.........Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote