Old 03-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #41
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
How did this thread turn from gensets ot picture uploads? Shouldn't that be a seperate thgread in a different place?

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #42
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
A bit like the patriotic stuff, common mate, we are a world wide membership.
Take the camo gear off and chill out, cruisin,learnin and sharin experiences is our bag.
Cheers
Benn
MV Tidahapaah
Mooloolaba
Qld
Australia.

Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:46 PM   #43
Veteran Member

City: San Mateo
Vessel Name: Cha Cha
Vessel Model: 43' Gulfstar MK1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I do not yet own a boat but am looking at 50 foot Trawlers

No flaming please, serious questions.

Thanks,
Normally I don't respond the these things but seems these two lines explains everything.
khhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #44
FF
Guru

"And Diesel to cook with."

I LOVE the Dickinson range , but most folks find it a PIA to keep lighting during the summer as it takes a while to warm up.

Many folks will compromise with a 2 burner propane unit on top for the summer.

Our solution was to simply install a second gymboled 4 burner propane range and oven.

The out of use range gets a cover board so is always useful as needed counter space.

A swinging stove is rare on motor boats but comes in handy when underway when being waked.

Esp since the range is outboard against the hull ( UGH!!!) where a departing pot has a 50/50 chance of scalding the cook!!
FF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #45

City: CA
Thank you ladies and gentleman for yout patience and understanding. Thank you for your spot on responses to my OP. I apologise for my impatience regarding posting of my sons ship.

If the members want to see more of the "big boat" let me know and I will post them.

I have been aboard for a 5 day cruise previously and am going on another in April.

I ask A LOT of questions, so expect them here and I welcome them regarding the USS John C. Stennis, CVN 74.

FYI the Stennis has two Diesel electric generators that each produce 2000 KW at 4160.
The exhaust stacks route through my sons work space. Besides my sons gun being loud, the EG's are LOUD.

I miss my son to the point of tears, so that anyone who doubts his or another Sailors service spools me up. Sorry.

Gotta go.

BigJim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #46

City: CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"And Diesel to cook with."

I LOVE the Dickinson range , but most folks find it a PIA to keep lighting during the summer as it takes a while to warm up.

Many folks will compromise with a 2 burner propane unit on top for the summer.

Our solution was to simply install a second gymboled 4 burner propane range and oven.

The out of use range gets a cover board so is always useful as needed counter space.

A swinging stove is rare on motor boats but comes in handy when underway when being waked.

Esp since the range is outboard against the hull ( UGH!!!) where a departing pot has a 50/50 chance of scalding the cook!!
When using Propane what is the moisture like in a cold enviorment like the PNW?
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #47
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
FYI the Stennis has two Diesel electric generators that each produce 2000 KW at 4160
She actually has four SSDG (Ship's Service Diesel Generators) that build a total of 8,000KW. They'll keep up with all casualty power and get the reactors back online. No such thing as unlimited power though... even for an aircraft carrier.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #48
FF
Guru

The propane fridge is outside on the aft deck, so cold outside simply means less propane burn.

Cooking on a propane range , even with 3 or 4 burners working adds little moisture , after all if its cold in 40s F we have the diesel range cranked and it is of course vented topside..

On something like a south run on the ICW , after breakfast the iron topsail is cranked and the boat is warmed like a car with coolant and radiators w fans (box heaters) .

A tiny amount of ventilation will remove stove gas output , most boats are not tight enough to notice.Assuming its not 22 ft LOA.

A live aboard wit any style fuel stove propane , kerosene or alcohol will always have moisture problems with windows fogging. Glass is no insulation.

The simple solution is to insulate the window with plastic film that cam be shrunk tight with a hair dryer& double stick tape. Inside or outside , do both if below 0-F is common.

Home cheapo at the start of winter has it by the roll.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #49
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Jim, don't let being in the PNW keep you from considering a boat that has heat and A/C. We live in the desert part of the PNW and use the A/C a lot in the summer and, since we boat all year we use the heat a fair amount. There are some days in the San Juans when it's nice to have the A/C and lots of days when the heat feels pretty nice.

Our boat has a 15KW genset to supply the all-electric galley, the heat and A/C units and other power using equipment. There have been a few times when we've been running the four heat/A/C units, the stove, TV and other electronics. It's nice to be able to do that without having to worry about turning some things off so we can use others.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #50

City: Toronto & Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Island Eagle
Vessel Model: DeFever
Quote:
Here's my blog post on that subject:

Heating & Ventilation - Island Eagle

Scott Welch
Island Eagle
IslandEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #51
Veteran Member

City: Port Washington,NY
Vessel Name: Sweet Chariot
Vessel Model: Present 42
Hi we might have to switch to electric stove. Was wondering if you think a house battery or genset would need to be used. Don't have an inverter yet, on the list. Wouldn't be running W/D and unnecessary stuff at the same time and not cooking a turkey. This propane issue is almost a no win situation.

Diesel Stove ??
Chris and Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #52
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris and Roger View Post
Hi we might have to switch to electric stove. Was wondering if you think a house battery or genset would need to be used................
Trying to operate an electric range from a battery and inverter would be a losing proposition. You would need an industrial sized inverter and enough batteries to where weight is a consideration. And you would have to run the boat for days to recharge the batteries.

I cook with a propane stove and it's as good or better than my natural gas stove at home. An ABYC compliant stove and propane system is not inexpensive, but it's a great solution for cooking away from shore power.

Someone else will have to tell you about diesel stoves, I am not familiar with them.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #53
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
We cook with propane (in the PNW) and it's never been a problem.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #54
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Diesel stove is the alternative. Electric stove on an inverter is a non-starter IMO.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #55
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSailor View Post
We cook with propane (in the PNW) and it's never been a problem.
Again! I agree!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #56
FF
Guru

For mere cooking it takes us at least 2 sometimes 3 months to go thru a 20# bottle of Propane. 4 Burners oven, broiler.The bride loves to bake pies.

Since there is less than 5 gal of fuel in a 20# tank , the division of 5 gal by 60 to 90 days will show not much water is put into the air.

Even tho 1.2 gal of water is created by burning gal of propane.

Simple cooking with propane is a non problem.