Generator/ Shore Power switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Attached is from Boatowner's Illustrated, electrical handbook by Charlie Wing. I hope it helps.
img_87778_0_0f3d1149cadaed6357d27104a587cfa9.jpg

I found some of the ABYC electrical codes online and as I understand it, as mentioned, the hot and common both have to be opened. After studying the schematics provided online by Blue Sea they show the same thing. So....it appears that I am going to order the correct BS Rotary switch (no room for the nicer switch with the polarity lights) and reassemble it as it was. Which accomplishes what the code needs. The problem is that I have two 30 amp "ins" and I need this much because of the two air conditioner units. I read over Chuck's breaker panel upgrade- and in the future this would be the sure cure.

"Reason is because if the big $600 switch breaks you have to buy another $600 switch."

Yes , tho I have never had a $9.00 plug or socket die.

I think an AC selector switch that is built to go directly from generator to ground power is a bad idea. Unless you are very vigilant and make sure to turn off all loads prior to moving the switch.

Our boat has an old Onan 7.5kw generator and the selector switch is an as-supplied part from Onan. It is a four position rotary switch. The two positions on either side of 12 o'clock select ground power or generator power. A little indicator light comes on to show there is power but the switch is not connected to any AC loads on the boat. The next position down from either of the upper positions connects the switch to the AC breakers

However we never change from ground to generator power without first turning off the master breaker on the AC panel as well as all the other breakers. We make the change, then turn the master breaker on, and then the breakers on for the devices we want-- hot water heater, refrigerator, etc.

Our selector is 2 double pole breakers with an interlock. They can't both be on at the same time but they can both be off. Switching from genset to shore or vice versa is dead simple - shut off the appropriate breaker, move the interlock, turn on the other breaker. And if its under load, so what? Its a circuit breaker - its designed to make and break under load. Its a very simple system that appears original to our boat and it works well. I have dreams of a new panel with all the fancy bells and whistles but functionally it would be hard to improve on what we have already.

Back
Top Bottom