Old 05-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #41
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
Scott. - I took my first Pwer Squadron class in the mid 60s, yes Chapman was a god back then.

BandB. - I don't understand computers at all, early in school while still an accounting major we were finally allowed to bring battery calculators to class, since I grew up on a desk calculator this was a real eye opener, they weighed about five pounds then. Progress? Sure, but I can always count on my fingers.

Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #42
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Be aware that "Yacht Simrad" is not the same company as "Scientific Simrad". The latter makes very fine, high end equipment. From all accounts, especially TT's, the "recreational Simrad" is not up to reasonable specifications. The scientific stuff is the gold standard, and used by many agencies.

I've got a nice helm station with separate displays and none of it is Simrad. If I want to look at the radar, I look at the radar. If I want to look at the plotters I look at that. Same with the depth sounder. I have no interest looking at everything on one screen. It's just information overload.

JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:27 PM   #43

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
Furuno black box core on Klee Wyck includes 4'radar array and plotter surrounded by a hodge podge of other brands of pilot, AIS, sounder, etc.
It's ok.
Just finishing installing a whole new suite on the boat we imported last Summer and it will be virtually all Simrad despite reading the critiques here many, many times.
Only one thing is for sure and that is that almost any brand I would have installed would have had greater capability than the captain that will be using it. I am sure this will serve me fine. After the demos, I am most excited about the Halo 4 radar array/display. It seemed superior to what I am currently using in terms of what I can pick out.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:12 AM   #44

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Sojourner
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 34T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
Have you tried getting Raymarine "legacy gear" like an E-120 plotter to connect to one of their new radomes? Or perhaps get an E-120 power supply board replaced recently?
Haven't tried to connect, but I had my 10-year-old E-80 repaired by them last year. Not cheap but they did it.

Here is their stated policy:

Quote:
Raymarine will continue, where practicable, to manufacture spare parts for up to 5 years after the date of the last manufacture of the product and will continue to repair product, should spares remain available, for up to 10 years after date of last manufacture.

Please note that we will not hold any spares in our factory repair facility for products over 10 years old and that no products more than 10 years old will be accepted for repair at our factory repair workshop.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:29 AM   #45
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 43
A lot of wiggle room in those statements.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:42 AM   #46

City: Hampton, va
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: 2003 Ocean Alexander 456
I have had both raymarine and Garmin. I have been left waiting literally for days trying to contact customer support. Customer support answered all questions evening a seven year-old system. Took no longer than five minutes to get answers.

Map data all comes from same sources so I dont get preference for one manufacturer o over another.

Gordon
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #47
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
Raymarine will continue, where practicable, to manufacture spare parts for up to 5 years after the date of the last manufacture of the product and will continue to repair product, should spares remain available, for up to 10 years after date of last manufacture.

Please note that we will not hold any spares in our factory repair facility for products over 10 years old and that no products more than 10 years old will be accepted for repair at our factory repair workshop.

Here is their stated policy:

I actually think that's a reasonable policy, and commend Raymarine for having it publicly available.

Having been a manufacturer required to provide and fulfill such a policy, I can tell you that it's quite difficult to do, and requires more than a little guess work. The hardest part is that once you stop building a product, it becomes difficult to impossible to get parts. Even during active production, parts will often go end of life and you will have to make a last time buy. So you need to forecast how many more units you expect to build, plus how many spares you want to support the 5 year commitment, and the 10 year goal. And you don't want to overbuy because you are just throwing money away. And sometimes the parts you are buying are very expensive. No manufacturer wants to buy parts sooner than they are actually needed, let alone expensive parts, let alone based on shaky forecasts, let along based on unknown failure rates and repair requirements. And for repair, you ate typically swapping out whole modules, not parts. So your spares are things like screens, circuit boards, power supplies, etc., all of which is expensive stuff.

So companies that make a service commitment have their work cut out for them, and you can start to see why consumer product companies make no such commitment and just push you to buy something new. After all, that's the most cost effective for the company - repairs only to the extent they have parts, and in a perfect world once they ship the last built unit, they have no more parts. And it enhances revenue to sell new product vs repair old. But of course it's all at the expense of the customer. For cheap products we accept it, but for an expensive electronics suite, it's really pushing the tolerance of buyers, and why so many people favor Furuno.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #48

City: Channel islands ca
Vessel Name: Lillie Ruth
Vessel Model: 78 Grand banks 36 classic
Simrad

We purchased a Simrad NSS 12 with 4G radar this year. We have had no trouble and would recommend it. Admittedly I have no experience with competing products.

Dan

Dan Cahn is offline   Reply With Quote