Garmin Smartpump problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

akkiwi

Vessel Name
Eagles Nest
Vessel Make
36ft trawler
Hi Folks,
I have just gone through the fun job of installing a Garmin Reactor 40 with smart drive and smart pump on my 36ft Trawler. everything is new and I have connected it to the N2K system. ( garmin AIS radio and Garmin 1042 chart plotter).
I am getting the "ECU not present" message when going into the dock wizard. What am I missing?????
The CCU and the ECU on the smart pump are slow blinking green. The pumps power supply is from the house battery in the lazaret. I am sure the whole boat electronics are run off it. power is 12.6v
Do they need a common ground??? Im sure that they have it but you never know on old boats!
Any help would be appreciated since Garmin had me on hold for 30 minutes before I gave up.

Welcome aboard. Sorry can’t help you with Garmin, have never dealt with Garmin. Just wanted to say welcome.

That error sounds like you have a NMEA2000 connection issue as that's how those communicate. I would work my way back through that.

To confirm, on the Chartplotter go to Settings, Communication, NMEA2000, List Devices.

If the devices there aren't listed then you have either a bad network or a defective ECU/CCU.

Give garmin tech support a call. They were very helpful when I did a rework of my electronics last year.

That error sounds like you have a NMEA2000 connection issue as that's how those communicate. I would work my way back through that.

To confirm, on the Chartplotter go to Settings, Communication, NMEA2000, List Devices.

If the devices there aren't listed then you have either a bad network or a defective ECU/CCU.

Thanks, but the ECU is connected directly to the CCU, so no problem with the N2k. the reactor 40 shows up in the devices list too.

Yip Will try Garmin again mid morning..... is that Pacific time or eastern time?? Im In Washington state.

Back
Top Bottom