Old 04-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #21
Guru

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Harward View Post
Thanks to all who responded to my question. It seems like Garmin wins by a clear majority.
I have neither, so I don't have a horse in this race. But I wonder how many of those that chose Garmin have used the new Raymarine Lighthouse 2 interface vs their old stuff. To me it seems like night and day.
BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Tranquility Base
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
I have neither, so I don't have a horse in this race. But I wonder how many of those that chose Garmin have used the new Raymarine Lighthouse 2 interface vs their old stuff. To me it seems like night and day.
It would seem that the Raymarine Lighthouse 2 does not have charts for Australia available if the Raymarine website is anything to go by.
Brian Harward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #23
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Harward View Post
Thanks to all who responded to my question. It seems like Garmin wins by a clear majority.
Based on a 1/2 dozen or so opinions?

I've used both- IMO Raymarine far outshines Garmin in technology, customer support, and ease of use. As mentioned above, Raymarine in the post-FLIR world is vastly different from the RM gear of only a few years ago.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #24
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
If longevity is counted I have the late 80s Raytheon (Raymarine) on the ASD! Still works great with CRTs. The color fish finder was top of it class back then, but I will be updating with new radar and chartplotter.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
I used the new Lighthouse UI for about an hour at the Miami Boat Show. I think they've done a nice job and I like the access to NOAA raster charts. But it's a little young and the charting needs a little work in my opinion. I found it pretty easy to use although my wife didn't try it and that's the gold standard for me.

If you're open to all new things, you should check out the new Simrad MFD's too. For the price, they are quite capable and have a very easy-to-use feel. They now support C-Map (which I think is better) plus some other options so you don't have to be stuck with Navionics.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:03 PM   #26
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
I used the new Lighthouse UI for about an hour at the Miami Boat Show. I think they've done a nice job and I like the access to NOAA raster charts. But it's a little young and the charting needs a little work in my opinion. I found it pretty easy to use although my wife didn't try it and that's the gold standard for me.

If you're open to all new things, you should check out the new Simrad MFD's too. For the price, they are quite capable and have a very easy-to-use feel. They now support C-Map (which I think is better) plus some other options so you don't have to be stuck with Navionics.
I would definitely recommend Simrad; we have an NSE 12 display, 4G Radar, AP28 autopilot, and structurescan. Intuitive, out of the box reliability, and neat features such as a radar that allows you to watch a duck sized bird swim past your boat. And the structurescan takes exploring the bottom to a new level. The attached image is of the HMCS Columbia, sunk off Maud Island to create an artificial reef for divers. I just used my camera to capture the screen image; it is better in real life.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0354.jpg  
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:08 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

That was my impression of Simrad too - great new capabilities. They've become a real contender as #4 in the market. I'd expect their share to grow over the next few years.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #28
Guru

City: Vermont
I'll certainly put in a plug for Simrad too. My new boat is 100% simrad, including the tender. And they just announced a forward sonar capability for their Structurescan product. All you add is the forward transducer, and it's less than $1000.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:39 PM   #29
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Simrad is the same a Lowrance right?
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

Simrad is aimed at higher end motorboats.
B&G is aimed at sailboats.
Lowrance is aimed at lower end motorboats.

Navico is the parent company of all but the products are all different.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #31
Guru

I haven't seen it mentioned but Garmin's PC interface called "Homeport" far outshines Raymarine's Voyager.

If you do any cruise planning on your PC you will appreciate Garmins Homeport, especially after you try and use Raymaines Voyager.

I plan all my cruises on Garmins Homeport and transfer the routes to both my Ray and Garmin units. Thank God I don't have to use Voyager.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #32

City: MD
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Homeport supports Mac, Voyager is Windows only. Garmin has an AutoGuidance feature that allows the unit to calculate a route to a destination given a minimum depth and distance from shore profile. This works well on the Chesapeake Bay and will give you a quick estimate of distance and time to a destination. I don't know if RayMarine has a similar feature.
BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:07 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Tranquility Base
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48 North Sea
Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond. I like Garmin. When I was flying I mostly used Garmin and found them to intuitive to operate. Unfortunately none of the Garmin units that I like will fit in the available space so the choice is now Raymarine or Simrad.
Brian Harward is offline   Reply With Quote