Old 01-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #21
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I have the offset set so that when the readout says 3.5 I know I am in trouble since my boat has a 3.5 foot clearance.
I certainly have gone thru the mud before. One time at a low tide I actually grounded out, odd sensation the boat no longer moving up and down. Had to wait an hour to get moving again.

Would you rather have the offset set so that when it read zero, your in trouble?, or go with you hull depth? I tend to like the idea of knowing that when it says 3.5 feet, if I measure from surface to bottom, i will get 3.5 feet.

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:11 PM   #22
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I didn't bother to set my keel offset on the depth sounder. My draft is 3' and my sounder is about 1.5' below the waterline. So If I see 3' on the sounder I worry, but I still have about 1.5' of clearance. I don't go anyplace where the sounder shows less than 3', just for safety sake.

TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 PM   #23
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
I didn't bother to set my keel offset on the depth sounder. My draft is 3' and my sounder is about 1.5' below the waterline. So If I see 3' on the sounder I worry, but I still have about 1.5' of clearance. I don't go anyplace where the sounder shows less than 3', just for safety sake.

Hmmm. That's a really good point.
It's kind of weird having the depth go down so low after adjusting for the keel size and basically hitting bottom when it says zero.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #24
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
The easiest way to do this is to measure the true depth of the water under the area of the boat near where your transducer is mounted, then subtract 4' + from the true depth number (if your draft is 3'8") and depending on how much safety margin you want. Then set your depth finder to read that resulting number and you'll have the depth under your keel with or without a bit extra if you choose.

Ahhh, this makes sense. Thank you
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
Hmmm. That's a really good point.
It's kind of weird having the depth go down so low after adjusting for the keel size and basically hitting bottom when it says zero.
Everybody sets it up they way they like. But for me hitting bottom at or about at zero makes sense to me. As in at zero I have zero clearance under the lowest point on the boat.

Which in the case of the boat I run now is the props not a keel. On many boats there is no significant keel hanging fown to protect the props and/or rudders.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote