Old 12-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Passing and being passed

The radio protocol thread had drifted over into passing.* It is a subject that I would like to explore further.* This probably applies more to those that cruise the ICW than others.* I can think of no other place that there are great stretches of miles and miles of narrow channels.

First here is my picture of the proper pass.* The overtaking contacts the overtaken boat by radio.* If no contact, then the proper horn signal.* The over taken boat should acknowledge with radio or sound the same signal.* If not, there is a problem.* I will usually ask the overtaken boat to slow, and I will give a slow pass.* With an expenienced skipper at both wheels, it usually works like a little dance.

We cover great distances and cruise usually at 25-27 knots.* Therefore, we do alot of passing.* My pet peave is when there is not acknowledgement fron the overtakn boat.* A boat at hull speed is pushing a good bit of water.* You can tell how fast they are running by the length and sag of the wave on their boat.* If a boat's hull speed is 8.5-9.5 knots I am going to have to go about 10 to*12* knots to pass with any control.* That throws a good sized wake.* I could probably pass at 27 knots with not much more wake.

Boats cruising at 14-15 knots present a different problem.* When they don't respond I just have to blast past to climb and jump their wake and get around.
I do not like waking another boat, but I feel that they have a responsibility to do the courteous thing and do a proper pass.

I would like thoughts on this from faster and slower boats.* I am ready to take the hits.* Hope I gave you all a good pass.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: Passing and being passed

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

I would like thoughts on this from faster and slower boats.*
It seems to be a non-issue out here.* Boats do pass close to other boats simply because people tend to use the same routes to and through the islands but I've never heard a horn signal used in the twelve plus years we've been doing this kind of boating.* Even the ferries don't use their horns for passes or meets.* Very few semi-planing boats like Bayliners and whatnot that are running at 12, 14, 16 knots or more slow down for anything.* So you keep an eye on them and if they pass close enough to nail you with a big wake we just turn into it and ride it out.

We occasionally hear a reprimand by a boater on the radio to another boater that's passing with too large a wake but since nobody ever says who they are or where they are, just "Thanks for the wake, a*shole," it's impossible to know who they're talking to.

I could probably count all the times I've heard*a boat horn on the water out here*(not counting when it's foggy) on one hand.* We test ours a few times a year to make sure it's working and of course we use it in the fog.* But that's it.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sunset Beach, NC
Vessel Name: Polly P.
Vessel Model: Monk 36

I travel at 7-8 knots.* When a boat approaches me from behind I usually slow down to let them pass, but I really appreciate a radio call.* Just say "Polly P. how 'bout a slow pass" and I'll say back "Roger slow pass to my port, thank you." and so on.

I sometimes need to pass a sail boat who is motoring.* If they don't answer radio, I give them two blasts and go on by.

I've found that the RADAR comes in handy in telling me from a long distance whether I'm being overtaken or whether I'm overtaking another vessel when the difference is very small.* This way I can call them well ahead of time and say "hey I'm overtaking you at .5 knots so why not just slow down so we can get this overwith..."

Woody
Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:

I could probably count all the times I've heard*a boat horn on the water out here*(not counting when it's foggy) on one hand.* We test ours a few times a year to make sure it's working and of course we use it in the fog.* But that's it.

Marin, because we deal with narrow channels and shoaling waters, I use my air horn quite a bit.* There are many times that an outboatd boat will cut in front of me thinking he doesn't have to deal with my wake.* Many are so noisy that they do not hear their radio or my horns.* You can imagine their surprise when they look back and see a 42' boat on their stern.* Some don't see us then.* I have seen some very surprised looks when they see that big bow easing up beside them.* I will motion for them to slow.* Few do.* Even in our seemingly wide open waters, you had better be careful about straying from the channel.* It can ruin your day.

With our very narrow channels and shallow waters their are many passing stories out there.* It is probably rhetorical to discuss it.

Oh yeah, over here it seems that Sea Rays have the right of way in all situations.* They must teach it when they buy the boat.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Guru

If I meet a SeaRay in The Rockpile he best slow down.* I'm staying in the middle.

Oh yeah, and if he was listening to his VHF he would have heard my securite call saying I'm coming through and it will be tight in the real messed up section around the VORTAC station.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Egregious wrote:

If I meet a SeaRay in The Rockpile he best slow down.* I'm staying in the middle.

Oh yeah, and if he was listening to his VHF he would have heard my securite call saying I'm coming through and it will be tight in the real messed up section around the VORTAC station.
Woody, correct about the rock pile.* All those dive service and prop shop signs on the shore ain't there for nuttin.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #7

Quite common to slow for passing and even meeting boats on the ICW here (Central Florida) usually a quick call on the VHF works fine.* If there is no response I signal with horn and act accordingly, this works 90% of the time.* Funny thing is the sailboats (Hey, I sail too, don't get me wrong here) seem to be less likely to monitor or respond to*the VHF, but if they are making 6 knots or so, even a relatively slow pass from me*at 9 or 10 knots will*push around a little*most smaller boats who then show 'the finger' or suddenly find the VHF mike to let me know I am 'responsible for my wake", I try to explain sometimes that to slow down (they are inevitably motoring in the ICW) to a couple of knots will allow me to pass at idle which is 5 knots and it will be quicker and much smoother than forcing me to overtake going at*9 or 10.* I usually cruise at only 8-9 knots or so anyway so if I am overtaking someone they have to be going pretty slow and they aren't losing any time, but for the sake of a safer pass it they don't slow down I actually have to speed up a little..
What also irritates the heck out of me is other*power guys that call for a pass*so I slow to idle then they power down to just slow enough to create a huge wake from their bow and stern and wave as they go by knocking the crap out me.* A few weeks ago a guy in a big Bayliner did this to me but obviously didn't see (or more likely didn't have a clue) the Florida Marine Patrol guys in front me just putting along, who promptly fired up the blue lights and were pulling him over for a little chat moments later.* We happily waved as we idled by.
Avista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Avista wrote:

*Funny thing is the sailboats (Hey, I sail too, don't get me wrong here) seem to be less likely to monitor or respond to*the VHF, but if they are making 6 knots or so, even a relatively slow pass from me*at 9 or 10 knots will*push around a little*most smaller boats who then show 'the finger' or suddenly find the VHF mike to let me know I am 'responsible for my wake",
Yep, that has happened many times.* A large sail boat at hull speed is moving pretty good.* Few respond.* Horns just seem to make them mad.* When I come around at about 9-10 knots they reach into their companionway for their mike and give the royal salute.* I will usually come back with, "sorry I didn't realize your radio was working.* You didn't answer my call".* Then it can go down hill from there.

For some reason smaller boats do not know how to kill a wake.* They seem to drag it with them right into their slip.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #9
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

It is rare around here for the overtakEE to slow down to allow a TIMELY wakefree pass. So you end up waking them and then educate them if they decide to finally pick up the VHF. I use the question and answer method...

"So Captain, how fast are you going.....7kts.....and how fast do you expect me to go to get around you in this decade and not wake you".....always a long pause and then the light comes on.

Another issue on the GICW is the terminology reference the towboat captains. While they may not use their horn per se, they do refer to how many "whistles" they will "see you on". ...ie..."...Flyin' Low, we will see ya on the two whistle"... If he is the overtakER in this situation, that means he will pass his starboard to your port. If y'all are bow to bow, then 2 whistles is a starboard to starboard pass.....just like the horn signals suggest. Anyway, if you are in the GICW, you need to make yourself familiar with this regardless of whether you actually use your horn.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

Woody, correct about the rock pile.* All those dive service and prop shop signs on the shore ain't there for nuttin.

I know a guy who made a living off the rockpile!* Interestingly, he said he also made a living from aligning shafts on BRAND NEW BOATS since the manufacturers were too lazy to let their boats soak for 48 hours and then adjust the alignment, before delivering them.* Just wanted to get them out the door.

Avista -- for some reason, some boat owners seem to think that because they are going slowly, that they must not be making a massive wake.* They don't understand that the area between displacement and planing is giant wake territory.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Baker wrote:

It is rare around here for the overtakEE to slow down to allow a TIMELY wakefree pass. So you end up waking them and then educate them if they decide to finally pick up the VHF. I use the question and answer method...

"So Captain, how fast are you going.....7kts.....and how fast do you expect me to go to get around you in this decade and not wake you".....always a long pause and then the light comes on.

Another issue on the GICW is the terminology reference the towboat captains. While they may not use their horn per se, they do refer to how many "whistles" they will "see you on". ...ie..."...Flyin' Low, we will see ya on the two whistle"... If he is the overtakER in this situation, that means he will pass his starboard to your port. If y'all are bow to bow, then 2 whistles is a starboard to starboard pass.....just like the horn signals suggest. Anyway, if you are in the GICW, you need to make yourself familiar with this regardless of whether you actually use your horn.
John, I have run into that many times.* On the GICW I never heard a tow use a security call.* They just say what section of the waterway they are in and which way bound.

The rivers work the same way.* Just say one or two whistles.* BTW, when meeting or passing in a curve, it is usally better to take them on the inside of the turn.* The tow usually swings to the outside.* Those guys really appreciate knowing what we are going to do.* I have had very few tows that would not answer a channel 13 call.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:30 PM   #12
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Yep, they are always listening....and if you ever find yourself West of the Houston Ship Channel(Boliver Roads), the use Ch16 as the common traffic advisory freq.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:50 AM   #13
FF
Guru

Passing and being passed

IN almost 5 decades I can count the good passes on one hand.

The technique takes practice ,skill and understanding of boat behavior.

The passing boat stays on the plane and aims for a close pass,(shortest distance ) at the "proper" spot* astern the passer chops the throttle , his boat falls off the plane and when his speed drops to about 1-2K above the target the throttle is advanced to maintain that speed.

He passes close by at 1 or 2k above the target , since the passing boat is usually longer there is no huge displacement wave as neither boat is at hull speed .

When 50 ft ?of target is passed and another 50 ft to get the passers stern wave fwd of the target , its on the pin ,big black belch of stink, almost no time lost , and no excess rock and roll.

Since these skills are seldom understood or practiced , I would simply prefer the passer to run at flank, turn into his wake , and carry on.

" If a boat's hull speed is 8.5-9.5 knots I am going to have to go about 10 to 12 knots to pass with any control."

This is one fallacy , most sail and many displacement power drivers will not pay 3X the fuel burn for "hull speed". So passing can easily be done fairly slowly with no loss of time, and no hull speed wake.

Our 90/90 travels 6.5K in 28ft of LWL,33LOA not a huge distance to get by.

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 23rd of December 2010 05:53:19 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:55 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
FF wrote:

" If a boat's hull speed is 8.5-9.5 knots I am going to have to go about 10 to 12 knots to pass with any control."

This is one fallacy , most sail and many displacement power drivers will not pay 3X the fuel burn for "hull speed". So passing can easily be done fairly slowly with no loss of time, and no hull speed wake.

FF, agree on all points but the above.* There are many out there running hull speed.* I have passed many large sail boats that were pushing a wake.* Big sag in the water on the side of their boat.* Trawler yachts sometimes do the same.* In a narrow channel, it doesn't make for a good pass.

Thee are many power boaters that do not know how to kill a wake.* When I run up near the stern of the overtaken boat, I chop the throttle completely to drop off plane and let the wake wash under me.* The stern will lift as it does.* Then the pass can be done with no discomfort to anyone.*

We do alot of passing.* Our planned trip back to the Chesapeake this spring is about 1500 miles.* We will see alot of boats.* That's why we run offshore if the weather is cooperative.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

good thread and info here!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:04 AM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Passing and being passed

For what I've put out for a Kahlenberg horn*, I think I'll be using it first.* If that doesn't work, perhaps I'll help clutter up the airways.* But then, I don't think I'll be passing many motorboats.* Sailboats?* They don't signal/radio.

*It has taken two weeks for the horn to pass through China's customs.*... Just found out there is a 40% duty on such imports coming from the U.S and 1.5% for imports to the U.S.* Is that how we define "fair trade?"* Fortunately since the horns will be installed on a Chinese export, there won't be any duty.

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 23rd of December 2010 10:23:06 AM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #17
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

The Physics should also be considered when Passing a boat in a narrow channel.

Sush as the Bernoulli effect.* The bodily movement of a ship toward the near bank due to a decrease in pressure as a result of increased velocity of flow of water past the hull in a restricted channel.

Also as you pass the bows will move away from each other while the sterns come together.

SD
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:49 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

The Physics should also be considered when Passing a boat in a narrow channel.

Sush as the Bernoulli effect.* The bodily movement of a ship toward the near bank due to a decrease in pressure as a result of increased velocity of flow of water past the hull in a restricted channel.

Also as you pass the bows will move away from each other while the sterns come together.

SD
Exactly, and when in the cut sections like the rock pile behnd Myrtle Beach near Little River you should not do any pasing.* It is only in the icw cuts that it is a significant problem, but that is why an overtaking boat with small rudders needs to have enough water going past the rudders for control------especially if you are dealing with a bow wave off the overtaken boat.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #19
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

...*that is why an overtaking boat with small rudders needs to have enough water going past the rudders for control------especially if you are dealing with a bow wave off the overtaken boat.

I'll let RickB worry about the drag created by "oversized" rudders.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #20
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

that is why an overtaking boat with small rudders needs to have enough water going past the rudders for control--.

*The reason the downstream boat has the right of way over the boat going up streem. Boats moving up stream have more control because of the flow moving past the rudder.,

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote