Garmin echo map and plotter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptFun

Vessel Make
31' Offshore steel trawler, Sable
I bought a Garmin 73sv. I comes with a transom mount transducer. I have a steel hull boat. How should I go about mounting the transducer to my hull? I was thinking of using 5200 and not using machanical fasteners, will that work?? My top speed is like 7 mph...:banghead::banghead:

I bought a Garmin 73sv. I comes with a transom mount transducer. I have a steel hull boat. How should I go about mounting the transducer to my hull? I was thinking of using 5200 and not using machanical fasteners, will that work?? My top speed is like 7 mph...:banghead::banghead:

If it were me, I would take a piece of 1/4" plate steel (or stainless steel) 4" x 4", drill and tap the holes to mount the transducer, weld the plate to the transom, Then mount the transducer with stainless fasteners and never seize.

Ted

I was going to say double-sided tape, but I like Ted's suggestion better. LOL

Jim

I think your way is best and easiest. You might try and use a piece of wood or plastic attached to the boat , then attach the transducer to the wood or plastic. You would have some flexibility to adjust the transducer. HTH
:thumb:

Last edited:
Thank you one and all. I also thought about securing a block and mount to the block. The idea of tacking on a 4x4 quarter inch of steel after it's ready for the transducer is an awesome idea.

Boy! I like the 5200 adhesive idea.

OTOH, folks drill holes in their boats all the time. Why not drill a hole in the steel hull and bolt the thing on?

Back when I did work on old rusty cars (my own), I used to weld repair metal in place of the rust. The problems include: rust proofing inside and out after the welding has destroyed the paint or the galvanizing, not burning something that you'd rather not burn. Welding a plate onto your hull means welding ALL AROUND the new plate since water intruding between the new plate and the hull would soon be very bad.

There's a product called "Stern Saver" around 50 bucks at WM or online.

Basically its a 4" X 6" piece of HDPE plastic and a tube of epoxy.

You scuff the bottom paint, where you want to put the transducer, and goop up the plastic pad and stick it on. It needs a day to cure, and then you screw to the plastic.

OTOH. You can buy a sheet of starboard and a tube of 5200 and do the same thing.

I am going to mount this next week. Have a dovetail router bit to make reverse grooves in the plastic to give the 5200 some mechanical edge to grip. will see how it works. You can see the holes the stern saver uses for a grip edge. They have round holes with 'threads' in them for the epoxy to grab. I just have an aversion to paying 50 bucks for something I can buy (or have on hand) for less than half! Look for the video on stern saver installation. You can learn a lot from watching it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom