Old 08-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #1

City: Danversport, MA
Vessel Name: Not For Sail
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 281
Garmin 521s - video output possibilities

I have the Garmin 521s chartplotter with a transducer hooked up, which came with the boat when I bought it. And, while I am happy with the unit's functions/capabilities, I am not happy with the 5" display size. Split-screens are pointless as you can't really see much detail, and when in chartplotting view, I have to scroll, zoom, and move the screen around more than I would like to when underway.

I would like to stick with Garmin, and I have been considering up-sizing to either the 720s or even splurging a bit and getting a GPSMAP 4210, and using the 521s as just a separate depthsounder display. However, I am wondering if I could use the NMEA 2000 connection point on the 521s to somehow hookup an external display (or even use my laptop). I am a NMEA network newbie, so I am a bit ignorant as to its capabilities. I have only begun to read about NMEA 2000 networks.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I pilot my boat through about 2.5 miles of long, narrow, and shallow spots from my dock to open water, and I am keen on knowing and (clearly) seeing my vessel's relationship to the underwater environment.
BriBri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
NMEA 0183 and 2000 let devices put sentences out there for other devices to read. Each device then can take those sentences and make something of them. Depth, speed, location, temperature, stuff like that....Video size is not very related to NMEA 2000
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Probably a good time to step up to a newer plotter system.

The Garmin Chartplotters are a good choice and they are pre-loaded with charts, maps and sat. pictures. Plus Garmins ethernet network connectivity is excellent. You will get many years of happy service from them. I think the 4210 is an older unit, but probably a better price compared to the 7000 series they're currently marketing. 7012/7212 is around $3500 and a 4210 is $1800, half the price. They do provide very good support for the out of production units though. The few problems I've encountered, they walked me right through correcting the problem.

If you're boating in an area where the channel and depth is always changing, due to storm or flood action, the ability to setup and mark you own safe channel is a very nice feature.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Probably a good time to step up to a newer plotter system.

The Garmin Chartplotters are a good choice and they are pre-loaded with charts, maps and sat. pictures. Plus Garmins ethernet network connectivity is excellent. You will get many years of happy service from them. I think the 4210 is an older unit, but probably a better price compared to the 7000 series they're currently marketing. 7012/7212 is around $3500 and a 4210 is $1800, half the price. They do provide very good support for the out of production units though. The few problems I've encountered, they walked me right through correcting the problem.
I do like the 7000 series. However, I am limited as to available helm space. My helm sits on the starboard side of the centered companionway entrance, and I only have about 22" (width) of space in which to house my switches, gauges, and shift/throttle levers (see below for an example photo - it's not my boat though). On top of this switch/gauge housing, I only have about 8" of height available for electronics (my VHF and chartplotter) before my forward sightline is obscured. So, I am limited to a chartplotter housing size in the 8" (diag) screen size realm.

I should have followed those wise words once spoken: "Buy your second boat first." Helm size and layout will be at the top of my priority list.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
I have the 4208 It haS an 8 inch screen vs a 4210 with a 10 inch screen. it has two video In's that I use for a back up camera and an engin room camera. The video out can go to a TV screen or a lab top or any monitor you may have.

The whole thing is plug and play no hassle what so ever.

The only problem I ever had was hooking up the ICOm Radio for the MMSI.

Just because of the grounding shield on the cable. It just looked funky. I like wiring to be neat and tidy. You have to twist the shield up and double team on a butt splice.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post
I have the 4208 It haS an 8 inch screen vs a 4210 with a 10 inch screen. it has two video In's that I use for a back up camera and an engin room camera. The video out can go to a TV screen or a lab top or any monitor you may have.

The whole thing is plug and play no hassle what so ever.

The only problem I ever had was hooking up the ICOm Radio for the MMSI.

Just because of the grounding shield on the cable. It just looked funky. I like wiring to be neat and tidy. You have to twist the shield up and double team on a butt splice.
I just did a quick 'tour' of the 4208's features on Garmin's website, and it's exacly what I want (oops, I meant to say "need") . Thanks for the info.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Yeah Pretty cool I just wish that MY Flowscan would interface with the Garmin.

Flowscan said I could do it but for a whole lot of money.

Not gonna go there. I can live without it.

SD
Old 08-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seabrook Texas
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
For a lot of money the latest NEMA 2000 floscans interface with all the popular chartplotters that support NEMA 2000 and have fuel usage software. Way more money than I wanted to spend.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
I'm using the same, 521 as chart ploter monitor ( or a GPS spare) and 4210 as GPS. Both with 2000NMEO connected to Radar.
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
Guru

I had the same issue with my Garmin 541. Hated that small screen and considered getting another one with a larger screen. Until I stared using my iPad with the $50 Navionics gps app. The screen is way larger than most gps unit I could afford, the app is easy to use and incredibly accurate and the iPad does 1000 other things when I'm not cruising. I still use the Garmin as a back up and for the depth/water temperature but the iPad is now my favorite navigation instrument.

Just saying.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
Guru

I bought a 720s to use in the Fly, but I spent a litle more and bought a 4210 and now I'm using the 720 as GPS inside the boat and also a Laptop.
Now I have 3 GPS plus the 760map handheld in the dinguy.
I think tha's enough
Old 09-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alemao View Post
I bought a 720s to use in the Fly, but I spent a litle more and bought a 4210 and now I'm using the 720 as GPS inside the boat and also a Laptop.
Now I have 3 GPS plus the 760map handheld in the dinguy.
I think tha's enough
I read an article in some magazine recently where the captain (of a 50-ish foot trawler) kept a compass and a GPS near his bedside. The purpose being that when at anchor, and when he turned in for the night, he set an alarm on the GPS to go off when the boat moved a certain distance from his anchor mark. This was to detect and alert him to anchor drag.

I guess you can't have too many GPSs.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
Guru

Good advaise, but one of them in the boat and the others with about 4 feet as distance.