Old 08-15-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Garmin 3210 Data Card needed.

I wanted to update the charts to include Canada's west coast and into Alaska. Called Garmin support, told that they no longer support this era of chartplotter and regular generic map chips won't work, need a Garmin data card, which are no longer manufactured. Great.
Are there any aftermarket data cards out there? Any other way to accomplish this?
The unit works great and has never had a hick-up. Not real interested in upgrading at this point.
The support guy said basically "good luck"
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
You may find these cards on eBay. You will also need a card reader. The card reader may require a serial port on your computer or it might be USB, I don't remember.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #3

If Garmin (or other mfgs.) won't support these units going forward it would be nice if they at least would remove the security so someone could copy a chart.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Simmons View Post
The unit works great and has never had a hick-up. Not real interested in upgrading at this point.
The support guy said basically "good luck"
I had the same issue with the GPS-210 that came on my boat. They took the old proprietary G-Map format, which as you've found, is no longer made. I looked all over for chips for the unit, but could only find some for obscure areas I'd never visit.
Any you do find will likely be 10+ years out of date. I bit the bullet and upgraded to a new generation 8" touch screen unit for maybe $500 with all the latest data built in....Garmin changes models so frequently these days it's easy to find last years model for deep discounts. The new stuff is awesome and well worth the upgrade if you decide to bite that bullet..
Old 08-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #5
Guru

City: LI or Fla
This is the biggest down side of Garmin equipment, once unsupported you are SOL if something happens to it or need something, they really should have sold lic to a third party to provide that, its not like they are really profiting from those going out and buying am upgrade, for a chart area of Nova Scotia I needed I setup a iPad with nav program for $60.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #6
Guru

It's a big problem for anyone who still wants to use DOS as well.

Technology is changing at a very rapid rate and we can't really expect technology companies to continue to support these items forever. How many versions of Microsoft Windows has Microsoft abandoned? Way more than Garmin.

If you have a fifteen year old chart plotter, it's unwise to invest a lot of money in it because when it stops working, you will have a very slight chance of finding someone to repair it.

And if you go see one of the new ones demonstrated, you will be surprised at the new features and how much better it works.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:01 AM   #7
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
I use maybe 5% of the features of the 3210. charts, depth, alarms, tides. I'd rather spend my time boating than reading the manual. Upgrading to the latest and greatest is not my priority, especially since I'm only able to average maybe 80 hrs cruising a year, but appears as though it is the man's.
I did however find a source for the card, so I may be ok, at least for the short term.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 10:23 AM   #8
Guru

Since I'm in the IT field this is a very poor comparison. Comparing a $800 PC to that of a marine environmental HW system that costs thousands should not fall off support completely in a few years when a new production run starts. Indeed the company doesn't what to support forever, but I'm sure there would be plenty of third parties would do it if allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
It's a big problem for anyone who still wants to use DOS as well.

Technology is changing at a very rapid rate and we can't really expect technology companies to continue to support these items forever. How many versions of Microsoft Windows has Microsoft abandoned? Way more than Garmin.

If you have a fifteen year old chart plotter, it's unwise to invest a lot of money in it because when it stops working, you will have a very slight chance of finding someone to repair it.

And if you go see one of the new ones demonstrated, you will be surprised at the new features and how much better it works.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinmike View Post
Since I'm in the IT field this is a very poor comparison. Comparing a $800 PC to that of a marine environmental HW system that costs thousands should not fall off support completely in a few years when a new production run starts. Indeed the company doesn't what to support forever, but I'm sure there would be plenty of third parties would do it if allowed.
OK, I retired from the IT field and I stand by my post. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but for the manufacturers, it's a business decision.

If you want to complain, fine but it's not going to get you anywhere.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
Guru

agree to disagree, which is what forums are about, open dialog, but to think complaining on a widely used forum gets nowhere.. well that is where I disagree again, those looking to buy future systems will now be armed with the knowledge of Garmin's practices and look at possible alternatives, in addition, you never know someone from Garmin might be a member here, saying nothing, well that really won't get you anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
OK, I retired from the IT field and I stand by my post. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but for the manufacturers, it's a business decision.

If you want to complain, fine but it's not going to get you anywhere.