Garmin 2006C-no sonor on the menu.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fighterpilot

my 2010C has sonor on the menu for set up. The 2006C that came with the boat doesn't have it on the menu. I have a wiring diagram that says you can feed the trnsducer signal to both of those unit models, but why doesn't he 2006C have sonor as one of the menu items where by you can set up what symbols etc. you want. I tried to hook to both and the 2006C didn't offer anything in the way of page or picture for bottom finder. Does that unit have to have an update of software? Maybe it didn't come with that capability in the first place. ???

Fastest way to find that out might be to contact Garmin & give them the unit's serial # . They should be able to give you a reading on the issue. http/www.Garmin.com. I'd suggest that you open an account to save time later on.

Yes, that is a good idea. I already sent them an email but it will be up to 3 working days which means could be as late as next Thursday. Hoping to resolve sooner if possible. Thanks

I suspect that you will hear from them faster than that, but they are also good w/phone response @ 800-800-1020; Monday thru Thursday. Sorry I don't have any ready answers; my 2006 manual is on the boat.

Are you sure the sounder transducer is functioning properly? If the display unit is not getting good data from the proper transducer it will not know there is one installed so will not display the page.

2006c/2010 are the same unit, the main difference is a 6"*vrs 10" display.* Since the 2010 is working, the tranducer and cabling to it must be ok.

Unfortunately I think this unit was prior to the development of the Garmin Ethernet plug and play Network and used a NMEA connection instead.* A little more complicated to setup.* If you are using one Transducer for both, then you probably have a GARMIN GSD20 sending unit?* Do you have the manuals?**They are free*to download from Garmin.* Just type in the search words Garmin 2010 and it should pop up.* Also search and download the manual for the Garmin GSD20 module, it contains all the instructions and diagrams for connecting and configuring the sounder to one or two chartplotters.* The owners manual and the GSD20 manual is the same*for both 2006c/2010.*

Larry B

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Friday 13th of January 2012 09:18:09 PM

I do have the GSD 20. I downloaded the manual and used it to hook up the two Garmins, but with some 32 wires and 20+ connections I probably had a bad connection. I say had, since when I didn't get a signal on the 2006C and the 2010C was having trouble finding the Sats. I "undid" everything and decided if the 2006C isn't going to accept the sonor than will just wire the two separtely. Project in a hold status now until I find out more about the 2006C. The very fine Sat. wires are tought to connect and the orange wires must all be connected together. The Sat. yellow wire to orange is very fine and I might have had a bad connection there. I used telephone wire type jacks, accepts 3 wires and than squeeze the end down, for the small wire connections and may have a bad connection there. I am going to "twist wire" all connections next time.

Unforutnately, the owner, user manuels don't show pictures of what the menu page looks like so no help there. I just know that even without the transducer hooked up the 2010C presents a menu page with sonor on it and the 2006C has a much shorter menu page and does not include reference to sonor. I suspect the 2010C came off the line later than the 2006C, hence has later software, but NEMA is referenced and not Ethernet. Thanks

Fighterpilot wrote:
*The very fine Sat. wires are tought to connect and the orange wires must all be connected together. The Sat. yellow wire to orange is very fine and I might have had a bad connection there. I used telephone wire type jacks, accepts 3 wires and than squeeze the end down, for the small wire connections and may have a bad connection there. I am going to "twist wire" all connections next time.
*When I installed my 3010 on my sailboat I had a similar problem with the fine wires.* So I got a terminal block*from Radio Shack (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103229)*that made it easy to add and remove wires*as many times as needed.* I never had a connection problem.* It took two such blocks to cover the 19 wires on a 3010.

A terminal block sounds like a good idea. It should make getting the power, gnd, and the orange wires together much easier since there are 4 each of the power and gnd, and 5 orange to connect up. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding the 2006c failure to have sonor in menu, West Marine says if it sees the transducer he believes it will add sonor to the menu sheet. I am going to just wire up that unit in a quick and dirty hook up, like I did the 2010C when I checked out the transducer. We will see if it sees the transducer and has sonor on the menu page. If so than have at a complete wiring hook up again. Thanks

I know they don't like it on boats, but I actually twisted and then used a low heat soldering pencil, tinned*and light soldered mine.* Then coated them with liquid tape, no problems and both units*work great so far.

Probably frowned upom by many ...but for fine wires like NEMA connections I prefer the european style terminal blocks with the set screws. Easy, fast and I've never had a problem.* If in a wet area...just put it in a protective box.

When rewire my boat...if it's not all special NEMA 2000 style connectors...I may go to telephone style or Cat5 cable connectors and fall back to the euro style blocks if they don't work out.

Well, my good intentions may be in vain. Went back to boat an attempted to hook up the 2006c as a stand alone and the display screen isn't working. Unit comes on, can hear beeps when I push buttons and the screen initially tried to display start up screen than everything disappeared.

Now, do I try to find another 2010C or 2006C to have the ability to use the one sonor and have like capability at both stations as well as interchangeability if one fails enroute. Or do I go with a smaller chartplotter/depthfinder sytem for the secondary helm? Maybe I can't even find a used one now days. May be a moot question. Thanks

-- Edited by Fighterpilot on Saturday 14th of January 2012 04:34:23 PM

There are always used ones available, Ebay has some, but you're going to pay $500 - $1000.*

Why not check with Garmin maybe they will take the 2006c*in for repair?* Even if it cost you $300, it would be worth it.* Still better than buying someone elses unknown used unit.*

If it's not repairable, then consider buying used or upgrading. Cost of upgrading for two comparable new units would be at least $3000+.

Checked ebay and amazon.com--nothing at that time. Will check with Garmin first workday. If no luck will look for something used. The 2010c/2006C capability completely adequate for our use. Would like to have duel atation capability one way or another.

As a matter of interest I took the unit to my work bench where I have 12volt power supply. Hooked it up and still no picture--I even pounded it since suspect a weak connection in display screen. No avail. Let if on to heat it up and came back 2 hours later. Still no picture. I tapped it once and the picture came on and stayed. None the less it is some sort of failure mode. Will pursue repair or another used one.

I like the idea of set screw terminals. Will check them out as well. Any suggestions as to a box store that might have them? Thanks

This one is a 2006c on ebay for $399

In suspect situations; thinwires, environmentally nasty areas(bilge), etc I have soldered the wires, then enclosed them in adhesive shrink tubing. Has worked well so far.

Just noticed your remarks about your 2006c going down. I have one that I am replacing with a 3205. Seems to work well. PM me maybe we can work something out.

-- Edited by chc on Saturday 14th of January 2012 08:03:03 PM

-- Edited by chc on Saturday 14th of January 2012 08:04:01 PM

Fighterpilot wrote:
Checked ebay and amazon.com--nothing at that time. Will check with Garmin first workday. If no luck will look for something used. The 2010c/2006C capability completely adequate for our use. Would like to have duel atation capability one way or another.

As a matter of interest I took the unit to my work bench where I have 12volt power supply. Hooked it up and still no picture--I even pounded it since suspect a weak connection in display screen. No avail. Let if on to heat it up and came back 2 hours later. Still no picture. I tapped it once and the picture came on and stayed. None the less it is some sort of failure mode. Will pursue repair or another used one.

I like the idea of set screw terminals. Will check them out as well. Any suggestions as to a box store that might have them? Thanks
*got mine on ebay from a place in Georgia (I think) for dirt cheap but Radio Shack has them too I think.

Thanks for the ebay tip. Easy to find since you posted the number. Noted it wasn't in the boat section-will have to expand my search next time. Will talk to my co owner today and see what we do. Chc will send you a PM. Thanks

Made exploratory trip for terminals blocks. Look at local hardware store, Radio Shack, O'rileys auto parts store, and Home depot. No luck. The only terminals of any kind were at Home Depot and they were only a 8 pos with standard screws. Will look at a marine electronics shop and WM in the city tomorrow. Found some on line as a last resort.

Going to continue to look for another 2006C or 10C to buy. No confidence in the one I have. *

-- Edited by Fighterpilot on Sunday 15th of January 2012 04:20:21 PM

Fighterpilot wrote:
**Will look at a marine electronics shop and WM in the city tomorrow. Found some on line as a last resort.

If you're going to use blocks, then definately go with the marine version brass screws or plated brass.**

Be sure and mount them away from anything that generates RF or high current likes*radios and ammeters.* My first effort, I*got the terminal bundle too close to the Marine VHF and everytime you used the radio*the GPS would lose tracking*which caused it to reset.

*Most marine hardware stores carry a marine grade terminal block, but you may have to buy two blocks for the number you need.

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Sunday 15th of January 2012 05:21:03 PM

Fighterpilot wrote:
Made exploratory trip for terminals blocks. Look at local hardware store, Radio Shack, O'rileys auto parts store, and Home depot. No luck. The only terminals of any kind were at Home Depot and they were only a 8 pos with standard screws. Will look at a marine electronics shop and WM in the city tomorrow. Found some on line as a last resort.

Going to continue to look for another 2006C or 10C to buy. No confidence in the one I have.**

-- Edited by Fighterpilot on Sunday 15th of January 2012 04:20:21 PM
*Here's the place I used.*

http://stores.ebay.com/Genuinedealz

*free shipping, I thought a good deal, stuff came in*3-5 days via regular mail.* I bought the 20 position strips in both amperages as you can break off/saw off how ever many positions you need.

if I'm going to use them where there's lot's of moisture but not submerged...I just smear where the wire goes in with a dab of dielectric grease ior silicone...whatever's handy.

As cheap as they are...I bought extra so whenever I rewire something or need to splice a broken wire/cable....I have enough on hand in the electronics toolbox *that I'm good to go.

-- Edited by psneeld on Sunday 15th of January 2012 05:19:32 PM

I found the ebay/genuine dealzs link but the european style blocks were all for larger wires. I needed 20 to 24 awg. Went to Graingers today and found one that will work. Thanks for the help.

Fighterpilot wrote:
I found the ebay/genuine dealzs link but the european style blocks were all for larger wires. I needed 20 to 24 awg. Went to Graingers today and found one that will work. Thanks for the help.
*If you are talking NEMA wires I used the larger size..I fold the small wires over (do that whether soldering or putting a crimped connector on) the larger sizes still tighten down just fine.

Got wired up this morning. Folded the wire ends over and they tightened up. Have GPS and sonar, both stations with my 2010C, but the 2006C is toast and Garmin doesn't work on them anymore. Does anyone know if one GPS antenna can feed two like chartplotters?

Fighterpilot wrote:
Got wired up this morning. Folded the wire ends over and they tightened up. Have GPS and sonar, both stations with my 2010C, but the 2006C is toast and Garmin doesn't work on them anymore. Does anyone know if one GPS antenna can feed two like chartplotters?
*Depends on whether the GPS antenna is a GPS standalone and puts out NEMA data or whether it's a dumb antenna and passes sat signals to a chart plotter for interpretation.

Either way...usually can output the NEMA from one chartplotter (or antenna if NEMA)*to the next via NEMA.*

Yes, GPS17 will supply GPS data to two or more chartplotters.* See the installation guide page #6 and the wiring diagram is on page #9.

Larry B

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 09:53:36 PM

Back
Top Bottom