Old 05-05-2019, 06:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Newport
Vessel Name: First Light
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
Nav programs for Macbook

My Del laptop is getting long in the tooth. Morgan’s Cloud site makes a good case for running TZ Navigator on a Mac using a windows environment via boot camp. TZ Navigator is a very robust program, but I’m wondering if there is a similar Nav program that will run in the Mac environment?
mattinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:47 AM   #2
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Unfamiliar with TZ Navigator, how does it compare to OpenCPN? That or MacENC is what most seem to be running on Macs.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:59 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We are running OpenCPN on a Mac Mini at the salon helm- works fine.

Of note- Mac ENC does not play well with OSX Mojave:
Mac ENC-Raster Charts + w/Mojave OS - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Newport
Vessel Name: First Light
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
TZ = Time Zero. I believe it evolved out of Nobeltec. I haven’t used it but it seems pretty robust as far as features.
mattinri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Cruising Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Vingilot II
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 45 RPH
iNavX for Mac has been around a long time and at one time was the only program for the Mac. They now have variants for iOS iPhones and iPads. They do not come with charts, but have links to separate company to purchase charts in the area you cruise. Down side is, you must purchase access for Mac and iOS if you wish to use both. Check them out.
I have also use Time Zero on a Mac (Mac-mini and MacBook Pro) for years, using boot-strap to Windows). They are great full featured products, but expensive. You also have to purchase charts. I actually found TZ to run quicker on the Mac (under boot-strap) than on a windows computer!
None of the programs will allow you to overlay a radar on top of charts, unless you also have a black box radar set-up or WiFi radar (Furuno). Most will allow AIS overlay with proper networking.
Cheers, Gary
GGroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #6
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
TimeZero started as a MaxSea product (AFAIK), in conjunction with Furuno (NAVNet3D environment)... predating the Nobeltec union I think (but not sure). I've read Furuno owns 50% of MaxSea, don't know if true. I do know that TimeZero on our laptop as an almost perfect mirror of our NN3D plotter environment.

For those in the U.S... NOAA charts for both plotter and TZ -- vector and raster -- are free. C-Map and Navionics cost extra.

Haven't tried to network other stuff onto the TZ laptop.. partly because our radar predates NN3D and wouldn't overlay onto the plotter either.

Can't comment on a Mac environment... and can't compare with OpenCPN.

-Chris
Old 05-05-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Been a Mac ENC user for about 12 years now. OK, it doesn't play with raster charts on Mojave. So what? We've come to prefer the ENC format anyway. Regardless, always found them excellent on getting updates out, though I understand there is new ownership perhaps not so on the ball as the original guy. Is my perception accurate?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:18 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Been a Mac ENC user for about 12 years now. OK, it doesn't play with raster charts on Mojave. So what? We've come to prefer the ENC format anyway. Regardless, always found them excellent on getting updates out, though I understand there is new ownership perhaps not so on the ball as the original guy. Is my perception accurate?
Shooting the messenger isn't necessary .

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:01 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I run Windows 10 on a MacBook using bootcamp. My backup copy of TZ Navigator runs there, and I can overlay the Furuno radar as well via ethernet.

Yes, Furuno owns 50% of MaxSea. I started with Nobletec years ago, upgraded a couple of times and have ended up with TZ Navigator. Lower helm a PC/24" monitor (Nav/radar side by side on that screen is my usual preference) and upper helm is Furuno MFD 12, to which the Furuno radar is connected. I can manage the NavPilot autopilot course/wayoints etc from either helm. Overall the system works pretty well. I see no need to try and run anything on MacOS.

TZ is available for the iPad, but see no point in an additional licence.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:09 PM   #10
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
I have been using the Furono TZ Apps (NavNet TZ Touch) to mirror the Radar/GPS on to a large IPad. It even has a remote function and I can make changes to the AP. It’s handy when in the open ocean, no one around, and I can be away from the helm for a few minutes but periodically checking the IPad.

I didn’t realize this could also be done with a MacBook. Is the clarity better on the MacBook as opposed to the IPad?

What else you are gaining by using the MacBook laptop, rather than an IPad?
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote