Old 12-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #21
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
RE: Galley Switch

Quote:
rwidman wrote:
Just like in your home, on a boat there is a circuit supplying power to the main circuit breaker (or fuse in the "old days") panel.* The circuits leaving that panel are "branch circuits".* They are each protected by a circuit breaker (or fuse) that opens the "hot" conductor if there is a short circuit or overload.

If you have a circuit from the main panel that supplies power to a sub panel, the circuits leaving the sub panel would also be considered "branch circuits".

The same terminology would apply to DC circuits.

An inverter (or genset) is no different, it is merely a self contained power source.

And just so there's no misunderstanding. there can be more than one circuit supplying power to the main circuit breaker panel (shore power, genset, or inverer), but only one can be used at a given time.

*It sounded to me he was running the cook top and oven off a seperate circuit.

If it was a seperate circuit would* RickB response have any validity?

Just trying to get an understanding as to the reason he would reply to the method of switching that he did. I am not an electrician or a marine electrician and have never taken any electrical theory classes 101 or above.

Rick seems to have made his living doing this sort of thing for many years.

I would tend to think he knows of which he speaks.

Is the current diatribe a matter of opinion where as one can agree to disagree? Or variations on theory or school of thought concerning electrical theory.

SD**

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:rwidman wrote:
Just like in your home, on a boat there is a circuit supplying power to the main circuit breaker (or fuse in the "old days") panel.* The circuits leaving that panel are "branch circuits".* They are each protected by a circuit breaker (or fuse) that opens the "hot" conductor if there is a short circuit or overload.

If you have a circuit from the main panel that supplies power to a sub panel, the circuits leaving the sub panel would also be considered "branch circuits".

The same terminology would apply to DC circuits.

An inverter (or genset) is no different, it is merely a self contained power source.

And just so there's no misunderstanding. there can be more than one circuit supplying power to the main circuit breaker panel (shore power, genset, or inverer), but only one can be used at a given time.

*It sounded to me he was running the cook top and oven off a seperate circuit.

If it was a seperate circuit would* RickB response have any validity?

Just trying to get an understanding as to the reason he would reply to the method of switching that he did. I am not an electrician or a marine electrician and have never taken any electrical theory classes 101 or above.

Is the current diatribe a matter of opinion where as one can agree to disagree? Or variations on theory or school of thought concerning electrical theory.

SD**

We certainly do disagree.* I think he is enjoying it more than I am.

There's no harm in disconnecting or switching both the hot and neutral conductors but there's nothing to be gained from it either.* Standard practice is to switch the hot conductor only.** Being on a seperate circuit (a stove would normally be on a seperate circuit) makes no difference.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

SD**

Its entirely possible to do something for many years and still be doing it wrong after all those years.* Its also possible to do something for hire and overdo it so that you can overbill accordingly.* I'm not saying either of those is the case here but ABYC doesn't think both conductors need to be switched in this circumstance & that's good enough for me.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

There is a hot lead and a neutral supplying two outlets in the galley. Due to the nature of the loads, use of those outlets is mutually exclusive, only one will be used at a time.

Because the loads are in a galley (a notoriously risky environment for electrical usage) and the neutral may or may not be grounded at some point and the equipment housings may or may not be connected to a safety ground it is easlly possible that an electrical fault in one device could create a ground fault that will create a shock potential to anyone touching the housings of both items at the same time. If a ground fault circuit interrupter is not fitted, this possibility is even more likely.

By using a DPDT switch to direct power and neutral from one outlet to the other and at the same time, completely isolate the other device electrically, the risk of electric shock from that type of fault is completely eliminated.

I don't sell parts, I don't install parts, and I don't make up invoices for parts. I don't make or lose money by people building to NASA standards or to shadetree standards. I don't live in the past and I keep very up to date on the latest "best practices" and incident and accident analyses. I know all the shortcuts and which ones are worth taking and which ones are just lazy or cheap ... I didn't say inexpensive, I said cheap. I go for quality, dependability, safety, and economy, most of the time those are not mutually exclusive but are indeed interedependent.

I know how I do my own work on my own boats and that is generally the way that I suggest to readers on this forum. That "way" may or may not be the same "way" as I suggest to my clients and the reasons are many and from the reception I get here from some, beyond the comprehension of those folks.

To tell the truth, it is New Years Eve, I am on a very nice large yacht in the lagoon at Bora Bora, and I have more interesting and pleasant things to think about than what a few people think about why I suggest one thing over another.

Happy New Year to all.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Ya' know... I was totally onboard with ya' until the last sentence. Now I am jealous and only wish my new year was as cool as yours, however, I'm pretty sure it won't be. So, are you the first to celebrate or the last?
Tom.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #26
Guru

Obviously, the only truly safe way to do this is to install only one outlet and plug whichever appliance you wish to use into the outlet. Whan using neither, unplug them both. Then, and only then, will you be safe.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #27
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

You guys have me wishing I was on my boat, just so I could unnplug my microwave in order to plug in my diesel stove, all the while swinging at anchor in princess cove, Wallace island (below).

Bora Bora, eat your heart out.*

Happy New Year to all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 07 02_0660.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	9261  
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #28
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Ron

My convection microwave is plugged into the wall (can't see where) and my electric stove top is hardwired into*a separate breaker. I guess this isn't the right way according to your one plug "truly safe way" statement. I will call Art DeFever forthwith and tell him he screwed it up on hull #168.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:
Ron

My convection microwave is plugged into the wall (can't see where) and my electric stove top is hardwired into*a separate breaker. I guess this isn't the right way according to your one plug "truly safe way" statement. I will call Art DeFever forthwith and tell him he screwed it up on hull #168.

Read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:
Ron

Just so there's no confusion, your setup is perfectly safe and normal.* Notice that Mr. DeFever saw no need to switch both the hot and neutral wires when he designed your boat.