Old 08-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #1

City: Orting, WA
Vessel Name: "Meannder"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Fusion Stereo

This is more or less just me whining, but I've had what I consider to be less than a great conversation with the Fusion folks.

I've been a fan for years. Had Fusion stereo on my old boat, and the new one as well. This unit is about four years old.

The display has failed...just black. All of the features work, but as you can imagine, its a guessing game figuring out how to get things moving the way you want.

I called Fusion and here's their story. When I told them the problem, their answer was essentially "sucks to be you". They do not fix their stereos. Nor do they carry replacement parts. If it goes bad after the warranty, which is 3 years, their only solution is to replace with new.

We chatted for a bit, mostly me complaining about what I thought was crappy customer service, but in the end, it is what it is.

three or four years occasional use in a boat is certainly not hard service. I suggested they might offer customers at least some discount on a replacement. Their answer was, we don't sell to the public, so we can't offer a discount.

So, Fusion has every right to do business the way they want. Just like I have every right to make sure I never buy their products again nor recommend them again, as I have done for years.

ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #2

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Isn't Fusion owned by Garmin?

porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #3
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I too have a Fusion AV70. I spent way to much money for it and it will not play music on a thumb drive.......It will also shutdown and reboot its self for no apparent reason. Customer service was no help.

I believe they are made in New Zealand.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
Guru

Deleted.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Essex, CT
Vessel Name: Neon Moon
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 480 Classico
We just bought one of the new Fusion Stereo's. Now I wish I hadn't. I really don't like giving business to companies with bad customer service.
KevinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
FF
Guru

Most of todays after market car stereo sets will do most everything, at a modest couple of hundred bucks .

I love the remote control, as I'm lazy.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Was looking at the new Fusion Apollo unit but can't decide. Has a lot of good features but...$$$. If not Fusion for BT stereo, XM, bills and whistles, etc. what brands/models are you guys looking at?
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:42 PM   #8

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
Iíve seen these in Fisheries and West Marine. What do you get exactly that you canít get from a car unit or Sonos or waterproof Bluetooth speakers paying off Spotify from your phone? I donít get it.
Facebook: Bluewater 40 Owners Group
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:40 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
Iíve seen these in Fisheries and West Marine. What do you get exactly that you canít get from a car unit or Sonos or waterproof Bluetooth speakers paying off Spotify from your phone? I donít get it.
4 zones, integration with other units throughout the boat, more water/moisture resistant than the average car stereo, Wifi built in, NMEA2000, control through app on phone/ipad, excellent sound. All of that worth the $$$? Apparent issues with customer support? I like them but haven't bought one.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:55 AM   #10

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
But compared to Echo or Sonos?
Facebook: Bluewater 40 Owners Group
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:11 AM   #11
Guru

Never investigated either of them much as I want an installed/integrated system and those are wireless speakers that sit on top of a counter, helm, whatever as far as I know.
Old 08-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #12
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
I bought a black box model of Fusion exactly because it integrates with my NMEA2000 equipment and has multiple zones. SXM, AM/FM, USB, Bluetooth, etc. plus I can interface with it from my chartplotters, phone iPad etc.

I'm sad about the poor customer service but the unit works well.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:40 PM   #13
Guru

I would imagine the lifespan of an Echo or Sonas placed in a marine environment would be substantially shorter than in a living room.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:14 PM   #14
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I love mine, it's my second and houses my iPod Classic 30 gig unit inside it's waterproof faceplate. I had an issue with it restarting on it's own after shut down, but found a fix (settings) and it's never happened again.

Currently I wouldn't consider any other brand, it has the Bluetooth dongle attached (aftermarket option) and streams flawlessly from iPhone, iPad, and MacBook Pro when watching movies and streaming audio.

It is cabin ceiling mounted so sunlight doesn't hit it, ever. I thought that screen went bad, but when I took off my polarized sunglasses I found the real problem :-)

Nothing bad to say about mine!
AKDoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:32 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
I am fortunately in the other camp, Had a problem with my second Fusion radio for the upper helm that I had purchase second hand with what the original owner that had done something weird to the wiring harness. Sent an email to Fusion, told them the whole story and they sent me a whole new wiring harness at no charge. Purchase my first Fusion 10+ years ago and it is still going strong........I love their products!
Yes, I have my "AnchorRight - Excel"
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:47 PM   #16

City: Leesburg, VA
Only reason I got one was for the display. My radio is mounting on the overhead shelf above the helm. Almost every other radio has the LCD set up to be viewed from level or from above. They do not do well when viewed from a lower position.

I had another marine AM/FM radio installed, but got tired of having to stand on tip toes to read the radio display. The Fusion radio has a display with a very wide vertical viewing angle.

IMO, other than the display, Fusion stuff is quite a bit overpriced for what you get.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #17
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Currently on my second boat with Fusion 7000. Had a slight problem with the first unit and they send a new upgraded unit. Mine work Fine however I admit I really don’t know how to use all the features it has.

Sorry you had a problem, perhaps if you call again you may get a different response.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Most of todays after market car stereo sets will do most everything, at a modest couple of hundred bucks .

I love the remote control, as I'm lazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
4 zones, integration with other units throughout the boat, more water/moisture resistant than the average car stereo, Wifi built in, NMEA2000, control through app on phone/ipad, excellent sound. All of that worth the $$$? Apparent issues with customer support? I like them but haven't bought one.
The main reason was the 4 zones and NEMA 2000 so I can control it from my MFD. I wished it would play the music on my thumb drive. I am a little disappointed in my Fusion.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #19

City: Orting, WA
Vessel Name: "Meannder"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
those were the reasons I originally purchased one. I was really quite surprised at the latest response.

And yes, i do think they were bought by Garmin. When you call customer service, you get Garmin folks on the line.
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #20
Guru

City: Fairport
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchace View Post
I bought a black box model of Fusion exactly because it integrates with my NMEA2000 equipment and has multiple zones. SXM, AM/FM, USB, Bluetooth, etc. plus I can interface with it from my chartplotters, phone iPad etc.

I'm sad about the poor customer service but the unit works well.

Ken

I think this approach has merit. As an unfortunate consequence of manufacturing efficiency concentration, repairability takes it in the shorts. To counter this, make the low reliability items USER replaceable. Dont combine complex electronics with displays, mechanical controls, and weather exposure. Instead, spread the complexity out to a few MFDís and remote the functional electronics.

diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote