Furuno Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roughin'it

Vessel Name
Roughin'it
Vessel Make
1983 37' Roughwater
My new boat has an older raytheon radar system and a separate color sounder with GPS abilities. My question is that I can get my hands on a Furuno Navnet system which has everything included except the transducer. Am I going to be able to use me existing 50/200 transducer or am I going to need to replace it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Find out what transducer you have then consult with Furuno or AirMar (who makes virtually all transducers for the various OEMs). What make and model is your current sounder/GPS.

Thanks, I will get back with you on model Number but the Make of the sounder is a Raytheon.

The sounder is a Raytheon V850. Thanks for your help

Not likely (but also not impossible) that your transducer will work on a Furuno system, but as said before, get all the model numbers off the present transducer and contact Furuno and/or Airmar before pulling it. 50/200 is fairly common, that's what my Airmar/Furuno system was, so that's a hopeful start.

If the frequencies are the same and the power is the same, then it will likely work. As mentioned, the transducers are pretty much all made my Airmar and relabeled by all the big players with their own model numbers. I used a simrad transducer with my furuno fish finder and it works fine.

Check Airmar website or call....they make quite a few adapters...

If you know the plug types or pin diagrams it will help.

But many a transducer wire has been cut and spliced in....care must be taken to cut each wire separately I think on ducers....at least the older ones.

You can find ducers online for less than $100 often and depending on the style you want...at some point fooling with old ones isn't worth it unless they are high performance and costly.

transducer

So long as the frequencies match it should work fine. Furuno has adapters if the pins don't match in the connector. You should find what transducer it is, you may want to avail yourself of newer technology if your spending the money on Navnet.

If the frequencies are the same and the power is the same, then it will likely work. As mentioned, the transducers are pretty much all made my Airmar and relabeled by all the big players with their own model numbers. I used a simrad transducer with my furuno fish finder and it works fine.

This is my experience also. One caveat though -- the pin-outs between brands may be different and you can damage the transducer (at least in theory) if you cut off the old plug end "wrong". Sort of like defusing a bomb -- cut the wrong wire in the wrong order and kaboom. I believe Airmar has instructions on their website.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom