Old 08-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #1

New batteries and an outlet problem

I'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs of the electrical system on my 1971 Grand Banks 36. *I just put in new batteries, and now my electrical outlets don't work when I'm disconnected from shore power. *Any ideas why? *They all worked fine with the old batteries. *I'm assuming there's something I must need to reset. *Thanks.
cnbirrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
RE: New batteries and an outlet problem

I assume you're talking about your AC outlets.* Either the inventor did not get wired back into the system correctly,*it is not turned on or the outlet breaker at the AC panel is off.* Also, if the outlets are GFI, check to see if the reset button in the center of the outlet has*been tripped.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
cnbirrell wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs of the electrical system on my 1971 Grand Banks 36. *I just put in new batteries, and now my electrical outlets don't work when I'm disconnected from shore power. *Any ideas why? *They all worked fine with the old batteries. *I'm assuming there's something I must need to reset. *Thanks.

You didn't wire the new batteries exactly how the old ones were wired or you accidentally disconnected something while you were changing the batteries.

Go back and check your work.

But - are you talking about 12 volt DC outlets or 120 volt AC outlets?* If 120 volt AC outlets, how did they get power before you replaced the batteries?* Inverter?

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the help. *And to clarify, I am talking about 120 AC outlets, and I'm using an inverter. *I was really cautious when I put the new batteries in, and drew out the connections on paper, so I'm really sure I connected it the same way, which is what has me puzzled. *I'll go back and double check everything. *From what I'm seeing in both posts it sounds like it must be a problem with the inverter.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
cnbirrell wrote:
Thanks for the help. *And to clarify, I am talking about 120 AC outlets, and I'm using an inverter. *I was really cautious when I put the new batteries in, and drew out the connections on paper, so I'm really sure I connected it the same way, which is what has me puzzled. *I'll go back and double check everything. *From what I'm seeing in both posts it sounds like it must be a problem with the inverter.

Well yes, but it would be very unlikely for the inverter to just up and die at the same time you replaced the batteries.* A real coincidence.

The inverter should (I hope) have a fuse in the positive lead from wherever it receives power to the inverter.* It will be a large (150 amp or so) fuse and should be within seven inches of the source of power.* There will also be a heavy negative lead to the inverter.* Both of these will be heavy cables, perhaps #4 or #2.

There is probably a power switch on the inverter and there may be a remote switch so it can be turned on and off from a convenient location.* Since you disconnected the power, if there is a remote switch that electronically controls the inverter (a push button), you will have to turn it on again.

The documentation for the inverter should help if you don't find anything obvious.

I think someone already mentioned this, but you may have a tripped GFCI outlet and these often control the other outlets.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In addition to all of the above, our Heart Freedom inverter has a little reset button on the inverter that pops from time to time.* It's easily overlooked as it is small and set in a bit of a well to keep it from getting bumped.

cheers
Penny Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:50 PM   #7

A reply to everybody who helped with this ..... thanks so much. *In the process I got a lot more familiar with it all, and as it turned out all i needed to do was turn on the inverter. *
Old 09-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
cnbirrell wrote:
A reply to everybody who helped with this ..... thanks so much. *In the process I got a lot more familiar with it all, and as it turned out all i needed to do was turn on the inverter. *

That's what the switch is for!*
Old 09-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
cnbirrell wrote:*In the process I got a lot more familiar with it all, and as it turned out all i needed to do was turn on the inverter. *
Don't feel bad....I've done the same thing & one weekend I forgot to turn it off! Since a glance at the volt meter showed 120volts, I assumed the shore power was hooked up (which it was) but the breaker at the panel was not turned on. I went the whole week end on the inverter!
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote