Old 07-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #21
Veteran Member

RE: Furuno/Airmar Weatherstation

That doesn't sound right. Maybe I'm gettting confused with the parent AirMar model, but I thought part of its electronics package was a heading sensor (redundant if you already have a fluxgate in the system) so it could show true wind.

That model has been installed on a number of smaller CCG vessels recently, and despite government funding concerns none of them are sail powered (yet). I'll make a few inquiries over the next couple of weeks and see what the comments are.

I see the Furuno U.S.A. page for the 200 lists it as "no longer available for sale from Furuno U.S.A.". A bit puzzling.

Sisuitl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #22
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

The Furuno website specifically states that the weatherstation 200 provides true wind speed, apparent wind speed, true wind direction, and apparent wind direction.*

And yet their tech support says that only apparent wind direction is provided.

My understanding is that the weatherstation does not have a heading sensor, but does have a GPS sensor.

Great comment about government funding sail power!

And yup, you're right about Furuno no longer selling the WS 200, as I just saw on their site. Guess I'm talking to my dealer in the morning. If this keeps up it will be a drug dealer....

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #23
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42

Thanks for the update Conrad. On my PB100 installation I do have an option to select TRUE wind and I believe it is on the RD-30 display menu but, as I mentioned in an earlier post, it is not accurate. Sounds like Furuno can't get it to work either so that is good to know. It's too bad that companies like Furuno will release products that don't meet the marketing specs and then say "Too bad, so sad".

Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Sisuitl wrote:
*Maybe I'm gettting confused with the parent AirMar model, but I thought part of its electronics package was a heading sensor (redundant if you already have a fluxgate in the system) so it could show true wind.

*I stand corrected. The on-line specs for the PB 150 mention an internal compass whereas the specs for the*WS 200 make no mention of it, but I'm sure it is part of the package.

Interesting that Furuno is still selling their earlier PB 150 but not their later WS 200. My dealer was very surprised to hear that, so is looking for an explanation from Furuno.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:33 PM   #25

City: Kitchener
Vessel Name: Tic Tac
Vessel Model: Abin 43 dc

I installed the Garmin XM weather receiver coupler to the Garmin 740. It provides almost real time weather radar, weather forecasts for the area you are in, forecasts for winds and waves and prog charts. It is very accurate and you can suspend the service if you are not on the boat. I live in Canada so I have to pay the higher rate than usa, even though the boat is in Florida. $55.00 a month but I think its $ 37.00 in USA.

The installation was all new including digital radar, xm weather, ais information from Standard Horizon vhf radio and depth sounder all connected to the 740 via nmea0183 and nmea 2000.
va3mrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #26
Guru

I have to say that the entire WS 200 weatherstation installation experience has been a complete disaster. It has only worked sporatically and while the true wind direction is in fact true, it is shown relative to the boat, not true north (This is different from apparent wind).

So after having the technicians spend another two hours on it on Thursday and heading out for a cruise only to have it not working again, it will be removed completely and I'll just stick a wet finger up in the air to get a more accurate and reliable wind reading. (I have a particular finger in mind.)

And apparently the reason that Furuno is no longer selling the WS 200 is that Airmar, the actual manufacturer, is selling their branded version at a lower cost than they wholesale to Furuno.

I would NOT recommend this product to anyone.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport

Well, I guess I'll jump in here with my first post on this forum. I looked hard at these units since I was getting an RD-30 anyway. But one day I was in a Sam's Club and they had a complete wireless La Crosse 1515 weather system for about 100 bucks. Four years and 10,000 NM later we have never considered using any thing else. Yes, it is just relative wind direction and speed, but it is easy enough to use your compass if actual direction is important, and easy enough to use what you learned about current vectors in navigation class to estimate speed while under way.

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/1515/

It is an easy DIY installation, you get wind (including Beaufort Scale), and windchill, humidity, barometric pressure, temps, histories, trends etc etc. LaCrosse has fantastic customer service and replacement parts are available at their Great Big Outlet site. Yes, it is cheap, and about three years in I have had to replace the anemometer. The wireless aspect is priceless, as you can move the display from the helm to your bedside or anywhere else.

My advice is to start with something like this. And that's where we ended too. I should note our boat doesn't lack for electronics of all types, so this is certainly not a Luddite choice.
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #28
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

George!!! How GREAT to see you over here on trawler forum! Pull up a chair and stay a while!
For those that do not know George, and not that I have personally met him yet though we know each other from another boating forum, he is a top notch guy and serious cruiser! Really nice to see you here George!!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Conrad wrote:
I have to say that the entire WS 200 weatherstation installation experience has been a complete disaster. It has only worked sporatically and while the true wind direction is in fact true, it is shown relative to the boat, not true north (This is different from apparent wind).

So after having the technicians spend another two hours on it on Thursday and heading out for a cruise only to have it not working again, it will be removed completely and I'll just stick a wet finger up in the air to get a more accurate and reliable wind reading. (I have a particular finger in mind.)

And apparently the reason that Furuno is no longer selling the WS 200 is that Airmar, the actual manufacturer, is selling their branded version at a lower cost than they wholesale to Furuno.

I would NOT recommend this product to anyone.
*Okay, I have to take back some of my words. It was finally detrmined that I had a faulty weather station, and it was replaced prior to a cruise I just returned from. It works great, and the true wind direction being shown as relative to the boat is *actually quite useful.

So I will retract my non recommendation and now endorse the WS 200. But go for the Airmar version, as it is cheaper.

As an aside, the weather station was part of a Furuno Navnet x2 suite that we had installed recently: *10.4" and 7" chartplotter display units, autopilot, radar, and the weather station.

EVERY SINGLE component was faulty.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #30
Guru

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Violet A
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42

Thanks for the feedback Conrad. Would you please expand on your statement "EVERY SINGLE component was faulty." Does that mean the whole NavNet suite was replaced?

Thanks,
Ron
windmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #31
Guru

Hi there Ron...the components are being replaced one at a time. As per your request I've just posted the details under "Your choice of Electronic Suites" as that is where I'd originally posted our plans for the upgrade. Grrr.